Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Daryl Smith next year

Daryl Smith has been an unsung hero this year. As some posters have already mentioned I do think we can retain him on the cheap for another 2 years. Their won't be much of a market for a 32 year old 10 year veteran. Given our success and family atmosphere I say he signs a 2 year deal below market cap friendly deal.

Blog Entries

Im sure theyd like him back and i dont think hell make a lot, but at the same time if you let him go and use that 2-3 million somewhere else if Brown is ready than you do that. Its not just about this one position. Its the best complete roster. Id say we find a way, but maybe they feel McClain can call the Defense and Brown fill in for Smith at that more athletic role.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Really hope the two sides agree that it's a great fit all around. Another year would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    maybe they feel McClain can call the Defense and Brown fill in for Smith at that more athletic role.
    That would be nice, but I can't imagine either one of those things happening. Brown is still a question mark at this point. Not a terrible player, but not somebody you'd feel good about holding down the fort. With Smith there are no surprises, and he'll only be more in command of the positioning and calls with a full year in the team.

I believe I remember reading that Smith's wife is from Baltimore, has lots of family here, and was really happy to move back home when he got signed here. I'm sure that will play a big role in him coming back for a fair price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
    I believe I remember reading that Smith's wife is from Baltimore, has lots of family here, and was really happy to move back home when he got signed here.
    Sure you don't have him confused with another former Jag, Eugene Monroe?

Quote Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
    I believe I remember reading that Smith's wife is from Baltimore, has lots of family here, and was really happy to move back home when he got signed here. I'm sure that will play a big role in him coming back for a fair price.
    Eugene Monroe's wife is from Baltimore not Daryl Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think that if the team wants him back, he'll be back. Maybe it's just me but I don't see a 32 year old, 10 year vet inside linebacker getting a deal that the Ravens can't match or beat, even factoring in how well he has played this year. A guy like that isn't getting a large deal. Just a matter of whether the team will want him back given that they have Brown to fill that position.
    That smells like $3m a year or so to me...
    Ellerbe was an anomoly... Look back to contracts given out the previous year to Tulloch, Lofton, Hawethorne, etc. those were young quality guys entering their prime and they were getting $5m a year, tops.

Given his age, I think the Ravens will be able to bring him back at a fair price.
    However, he is down the priority list behind Pitta and Monroe.