Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ray Rice "Retiring possible at 30"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hen-i-turn-30/

Ravens running back Ray Rice is nearing the end of his sixth NFL season and he admitted Wednesday that he’s already started thinking about when he’ll hang up his cleats for good.

During a conference call with media covering the Patriots ahead of this Sunday’s game, Rice explained that his goal when he entered the league was to play 10 years. Barring a catastrophic injury, Rice looks like a good bet to make it to the 2017 season. Anything beyond that will be subject to how good he feels at the time, though.

“It’s always something to think about at the running back position,” Rice said, via Tom Curran of CSNNE.com. “I’ll just put it out there — my goal was to make it 10 years in the NFL. Anything after 10, if I can’t do it the way I want to, then it’s something to think about. But, I’m young. I came in the NFL at 21 years old, a young guy. So, I’m still young; I’m only going to be 27 in January. So, there’s a lot of football left to be played. With that being said, I have priorities too. You know I have a young daughter, and you’ve just got to put all that in perspective when you’re going out there week-in and week-out, especially when you get older in your career.”

It’s unusual to hear a 26-year-old talk about retirement, but Rice has averaged just 3.1 yards per carry this season while playing through a hip injury that he said has been “very hard to play through week in and week out.” He’s also likely seen the quick trip downhill that most backs take once they turn 30 and the combination makes it easier to understand why the possibility has crossed Rice’s mind.

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice "Retiring possible at 30"

Good for him.

Hate seeing guys keep playing just because they're not sure what else to do.

Blog Entries

I'm glad he said the hip injury has been hard to play through week in and week out. It gives be hope to think that's the real reason he's been so terrible this year, rather than a permanent decrease in ability.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Good for him.

:word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Good for him.

I agree. It's good to see he's realistic and planning for his post-career life (which is a long time).

I know he is from new Jersey, but when he does retire, I hope he keeps a presence in Baltimore.

Blog Entries

It is rare to see young men of his age with an actual feasible and plausible plan for their future, for their life. Good for him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

He does a lot in the community, so I think he has a great future doing outreach and stuff like that. Glad he seems realistic about his career trajectory in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Very smart. Football isn't forever. Have to think and your future. Smart young man.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

It makes me laugh when I hear a pro player talk about retirement in 3 or 4 years. It's meaningless. I guarantee you that if RR was having a 1,000+ yd (4.5 per carry) season, with 10 TDs, he'd never say anything like it. Perhaps he's frustrated because he's having a poor season. Let's just wait a few years and see if anyone even remembers this... Bc

Not a bad idea RBs usually start to degrade in the late 20's and in full honesty I think these past seasons have likely been the best of his career. Not saying he's going to suck or even the Ravens rushing game'll suck but I don't think we'll see him get the numbers he used to.

Blog Entries

We won the SB with the Flacco/Rice draft - one of the greatest in history. He's smart and knows RBs have a shorter life span in the NFL. He'll know when it's time to retire and go out while he's on top unlike so many others. Besides, he's financially secure for the rest of his life and will never have to work again unless he wants to. Jim Brown the greatest runner of all time went out when he was still on top - way on top.