Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The OFFICIAL Ravens - Patriots Game Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    ...and the Ravens winning the game, after seeing that Minnesota also beat the Bengals, will be the only thing that keeps me from falling out of the upper deck.
    I'm kindasorta halfway rooting for the Kitties in that one, if only so both teams have a decent shot at the postseason (for the benefit of our good buddy CincyCat).

Presuming the Ravens beat the Pats, how the Bengals fare vs the Vikes is almost immaterial: Whoever wins in Cincy is the AFC North champion regardless--if both teams finish 10-6, Baltimore holds a head to head sweep. But then Cincy would take the #6 seed unless the Fins won out.

The only effect of a Cincinnati loss to Minnesota is to shift "draw odds" from the Bengals to the Ravens: If the Week 17 donnybrook winds up tied & both teams finish 9-6-1, Baltimore wins the AFC North. Whereas if the Bengals come in already at 10 wins, a tie gives them the AFC North.

(The other marginally interesting thing is that if Miami manages to lose one more game, Cincy at 9-6-1 would get the #6 seed even though they lost to the Fins.)

Not that I expect a tie, but the import of the standings could make for some interesting strategy should both teams be at 9-6 & the game go into overtime...with the Jets-Fins game likely concluding sometime near when the OT period begins...
    Last edited by lobachevsky; 12-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries

You will want to chant your lungs out at one moment, and throw your remote control through the television the next. As a matter of fact, remotes will be thrown through televisions across the city. Yet, at the end of the day, Bill Belichick's demon tail will arise from his clothes and the fires of hell will flare in his eyes as the Ravens somehow end up 9-6, while Bengals fans hold their faces in their hands, knowing that the Ravens are coming for the division next week.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I'm kindasorta halfway rooting for the Kitties in that one, if only so both teams have a decent shot at the postseason (for the benefit of our good buddy CincyCat).

Presuming the Ravens beat the Pats, how the Bengals fare vs the Vikes is almost immaterial: Whoever wins in Cincy is the AFC North champion regardless--if both teams finish 10-6, Baltimore holds a head to head sweep. But then Cincy would take the #6 seed unless the Fins won out.

The only effect of a Cincinnati loss to Minnesota is to shift "draw odds" from the Bengals to the Ravens: If the Week 17 donnybrook winds up tied & both teams finish 9-6-1, Baltimore wins the AFC North. Whereas if the Bengals come in already at 10 wins, a tie gives them the AFC North.

(The other marginally interesting thing is that if Miami manages to lose one more game, Cincy at 9-6-1 would get the #6 seed even though they lost to the Fins.)

Not that I expect a tie, but the import of the standings could make for some interesting strategy should both teams be at 9-6 & the game go into overtime...with the Jets-Fins game likely concluding sometime near when the OT period begins...
    Exactly. The only thing a Vikings win against the Bemgals is Patriots insurance. It allows us to lose and still be in the hunt. For the division, we have to win in Cincy.

Of their final three scheduled games (all against 1st place teams), this one scares me the most. Bellicek and Brady are looking for a measure of revenge, they seldom lose consecutive games, and the Ravens were shut out of the endzone in Detroit (against a dubious defense). We cannot possibly expect a similar game on Sunday (winning exclusively on FGs); the Patriots offense will not "throw up on themselves" (per Trent Dilfer) as the Lions did. And Brady does not have to avoid Ed Reed's side of the field anymore.

On the other hand, even in meetings the Patriots have won, Brady has struggled (will Reed's absence change that?). The Ravens own a 2-1 edge in elimination (playoff) games. And is it likely that the Ravens, certainly 'on a roll' emotionally, would see their realistic playoff hopes end at home?

The bottom line (as it was in Detroit): The Patriots can afford to lose this game, the Ravens cannot.

NE 17
    BAL 19

P.S. Flacco wearing a knee brace for the first time is a big concern. As in Chicago, the Ravens running game must 'step up' big time.
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 12-19-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Lowered score; added postscript.

Blog Entries

I still fear the Pats. Can't overlook the comebacks. Denver had them beat. I don't think Baltimore will get the calls, especially since NFL refs were put on notice with that ESPN PI montage during the game last week.

Still, like every week this year, I can see a blowout either way, or a nail biter to the end.

Baltimore pressures NE's O, a pick 6, 1 TD, and 4 Tuckers. 26-24 Ravens, not really as close as the score indicates. Pees, wise fully so, goes prevent to milk the clock and NE TO's. On side fails, Baltimore wins, Belichek snorts and Brady whines. Or so I hope.

Blog Entries

Well, this is a much more favorable match up than it was on MNF against the Lions on the road. The Pats are missing a ton of their talent, Wilfolk, Mayo, Gronk, and possibly BOTH of their OTs, absolutely crazy. NE are a much more mentally tough team than the Lions however, and this is still going to be a hard game. NE and Balt games are basically the same as Steeler/Ravens games. Both teams know each other too well, so it's still going to come down to the wire. The Ravens will be favorites in this game, its a MUST win game for them, at the bank (the crowd is going to be crazy for this one), and they are a pretty hot team right now.

I still think the Cincy game will be the hardest at their place.

I think we can win this game. We are at home and possibly hitting that late regular season stride. I really hope that the officials keep a watchful eye on the Patriots. No cheap shots on Joe if you get my meaning. I say we win 24-21. Late field goal by Justin Tucker (yeah I know that's easy to call).

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Of their final three scheduled games (all against 1st place teams), this one scares me the most. Bellicek and Brady are looking for a measure of revenge, they seldom lose consecutive games, and the Ravens were shut out of the endzone in Detroit (against a dubious defense). We cannot possibly expect a similar game on Sunday (winning exclusively on FGs); the Patriots offense will not "throw up on themselves" (per Trent Dilfer) as the Lions did. And Brady does not have to avoid Ed Reed's side of the field anymore.

On the other hand, even in meetings the Patriots have won, Brady has struggled (will Reed's absence change that?). The Ravens own a 2-1 edge in elimination (playoff) games. And is it likely that the Ravens, certainly 'on a roll' emotionally, would see their realistic playoff hopes end at home?

The bottom line (as it was in Detroit): The Patriots can afford to lose this game, the Ravens cannot.

NE 17
    BAL 19

P.S. Flacco wearing a knee brace for the first time is a big concern. As in Chicago, the Ravens running game must 'step up' big time.
    Just wanted to respond to the "Dubious Defense" of Detroit comment... We often got into the red zone against them, and we have scored all but two of our offensive TDs this year from inside the red zone, so we have been a red zone or nothing team this year when it comes to TDs, and Detroit is most certainly not dubious at defending the end zone from the red zone... They actually are the #1 Red Zone Defense in the NFL this year.

Big game that's going to see some unsual weather for this time of the year. They are calling for temps in the mid sixties, 30% chance of rain and winds up to 16 mph.

Much is being made about all the key players the Pats have lost yet they've still won 10 games.

Until I read an article on BR.com I hadn't realized or appreciated how well our OL has been playing. Only 5 sacks yielded in the last 3 games. That's awesome when you consider their struggles in pass protection prior to that. I would like this Sunday to be one that rediscover's the run game. Slowly but surely we are starting to see a few more holes open up. I think it's only a matter of time before our run game bust loose.

Blog Entries

For those of you worried about Flacco wearing a knee brace, just be happy that Tucker isn't... Bc

Blog Entries

Ravens 19
    Patriots 17

Blog Entries

I think the Ravens win in a close game. The Ravens seem to play to the level of their competition, which means that almost every game is close no matter who the opponent is.