Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Torrey Smith has Sucked

Smith needs 101 yds to break the all time Ravens receiving record set by Michael Jackson in 96. In otherwise he hasn't sucked

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

He's not a number one receiver. He's fast but not a great route runner and doesn't seem to have a killer instinct.

Torrey Smith would certainly thrive more in an offense where he didn't have to be the go-to guy all the time. Improvement at TE and the WR opposite him would take off some pressure and open up the offense. That doesn't mean he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmccraven View Post
    He's not a number one receiver. He's fast but not a great route runner and doesn't seem to have a killer instinct.
    I might be as tired of the term "#1 receiver" as I am of the term "elite QB."

Torrey would be the best receiver on at least half the receiving corps in the league.

There are are very few receivers that don't have holes in their games. Moss, Megatron, Fitzgerald in recent years. Just about everybody else has some holes.

We got a lot of problems. Torrey ain't one of them.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I might be as tired of the term "#1 receiver" as I am of the term "elite QB."

Torrey would be the best receiver on at least half the receiving corps in the league.

There are are very few receivers that don't have holes in their games. Moss, Megatron, Fitzgerald in recent years. Just about everybody else has some holes.

We got a lot of problems. Torrey ain't one of them.
    Let's see, IMO he's the best WR on:

AFCN:
    Steelers: No
    Bengals: No
    Browns: No

AFCS:
    Colts: Even
    Jaguars: Yes (maybe not if Blackmon wasn't a turd)
    Houston: No
    Tennessee: Yes

AFCW:
    Denver: No
    KC: Even
    Oakland: Yes
    San Diego: Even

AFCE:
    Pats: Yes
    Jets: Yes
    Bills: Even
    Miami: Even

NFCN:
    Packers: No
    Bears: No
    Lions: No
    Vikings: Yes

NFCS:
    Saints: No
    Falcons: No
    Panthers: Even
    Buccaneers: No

NFCW:
    49ers: No
    Seahawks: Yes
    Cardinals: No
    Rams: Yes

NFCE:
    Redskins: Even
    Giants: No
    Eagles: No
    Cowboys: No

By my estimation he is clearly the #1 on 8 other teams. Maybe on 6 other teams.

So not over half the teams in the league.

Our problem is that we are depending on Torrey to be our #1 when he isn't that type of guy yet. Maybe he will be one day. If we are going to give Flacco a big contract and ask him to lead this team then he needs more help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Our problem is that we are depending on Torrey to be our #1 when he isn't that type of guy yet. Maybe he will be one day. If we are going to give Flacco a big contract and ask him to lead this team then he needs more help.
    I agree. Some don't want to put labels like "#1 WR", but we're always classifying players. Thing is that Torrey was drafted in the 2nd round (58th in 2011) and that's not like choosing a top 10, can't miss WR. I believe he's done very well, but needs a top-notch partner on the other side to be effective to his limit. IMO he cannot carry the team at his position, but would be more dangerous in a mix of solid Wrs and TEs... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    By my estimation he is clearly the #1 on 8 other teams. Maybe on 6 other teams. So not over half the teams in the league. Our problem is that we are depending on Torrey to be our #1 when he isn't that type of guy yet. Maybe he will be one day. If we are going to give Flacco a big contract and ask him to lead this team then he needs more help.
    I'm not sure what metric you're using, but there are 14 teams with receivers that have more years than Torrey. So on the other 17 teams, Torrey has more yards than their #1 guy. And that's with no running game and no other proven receiving threat opposite him. Just picking one example, who do the Chargers have that is anywhere close to Torrey?
    "Chin up, chest out."

It isn't all about yards. Its stepping up and making a play on 3rd and 6 when everyone knows its coming to you. That's what I want in a #1. Everyone knew Anquan was getting the ball in the playoffs last year and hes lucky if he can run a 4.9 40. Fantasy stats and yardage are great but do you come to play and do you show up in crunch time. If not your a 2

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I'm not sure what metric you're using, but there are 14 teams with receivers that have more years than Torrey. So on the other 17 teams, Torrey has more yards than their #1 guy. And that's with no running game and no other proven receiving threat opposite him. Just picking one example, who do the Chargers have that is anywhere close to Torrey?
    Keenan Allen

Quote Originally Posted by mrfactoid View Post
    It isn't all about yards. Its stepping up and making a play on 3rd and 6 when everyone knows its coming to you. That's what I want in a #1. Everyone knew Anquan was getting the ball in the playoffs last year and hes lucky if he can run a 4.9 40. Fantasy stats and yardage are great but do you come to play and do you show up in crunch time. If not your a 2
    This is exactly right. I'd rather 10 catches for 100 yards that 2 for 100. I'd prefer my no.1 to constantly move the chains, make the clutch grabs and score tds in the redzone. Torrey doesn't do any of that consistently enough for my liking.

He's a big play threat that still needs a lot of work in every facet of the game

Quote Originally Posted by mrfactoid View Post
    exactly. That's where the Ravens are missing a healthy Pitta & Stokely

Blog Entries

Its a mixed bag. A number 1 should finish with at least 75 catches or so. Torrey is at 62. His y/c is a career high as of now, 17.8, even though him and Joe were off on the deep ball this year. His TDs are down.

It is really hard to evaluate Joe and Torrey given how the run game and OL have dragged the entire offense down. They each did decent IMO, but could have done a little more. How much more? Not sure. Our offense is so plain, take away a run threat and opposing defenses have an easy gameplan.

Joe could set a career high in yardage today too. Maybe even break the elusive 4000 yard barrier. Doubtful but still possible.