Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Torrey Smith has Sucked

I don't think he's a true number one receiver but he's been forced into that role for most of the year.

He's done pretty well all things considered...he had a couple of bad games with drops a couple weeks ago, but I can't complain about what Torrey has done this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Torrey is fine. He needs to make improvements on his route running, but the team needs to focus better on different routes to get him open. Every other team that has a #1 WR can get them touches except the Ravens. All Ravens WR need to get better at getting off the line of scrimmage in press coverage, this is why Joe misses alot of passes.

The best play they called vs lions was the quick slant to torrey who was inside on 5 wide set. The corner made a nice break on the ball and just deflected pass. Had Joe lofted ball or Torrey sold the outside more on his break this goes off as a TD, since the Lions were in blitzing both edges. This is what coaches call execution, everyone needs to be on same page.

Blog Entries

I am assuming old Bill will as usual try to neutralize our tip threat...which is no longer ray rice. So I am guessing his game plan will be to remove Torrey with talib.

Torrey needs help on the outside.

Get someone else at WR that's a legitimate threat, and things will open up for Torrey. As much as people on here like to pump up Marlon Brown, he's not that guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Torrey needs help on the outside.

Get someone else at WR that's a legitimate threat, and things will open up for Torrey. As much as people on here like to pump up Marlon Brown, he's not that guy.
    I definitely think it's time for the Ravens to try to draft a great receiver.

Blog Entries

Please don't put too much weight on Torrey's shoulders because he's not built for #1 status. IMO TS is a fine #2 WR. JJ and Marlon are interchangeable #2 and #3 WRs. The Ravens don't have a true #1 WR, but that won't keep them from continued winning. In 2012 was Boldin a pure #1 WR? I think not, and yet the Ravens went on to, and won the Super Bowl... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I am assuming old Bill will as usual try to neutralize our tip threat...which is no longer ray rice. So I am guessing his game plan will be to remove Torrey with talib.
    Defensively, the Patriots play a lot of 2-deep coverage, more zone than man, but they have historically gone to more man coverage against us. Either coverage represents a challenge for our offense, which depends on pushing and pulling LBs and safeties toward and away from the LOS to create favorable run/pass splits. The keys to defending our defense are: 1) stop the run (this is accomplished by default) 2) take away the deep pass, and 3) lock down on the TE and slot receiver down the seams.

Torrey Smith is unpredictable and can roast anybody anytime (see the divisional round game in Denver vs. Champ Bailey last year), but if he plays next Sunday like he has the last few games, Talib will likely erase him with little or no help. That accomplishes #2 and the Patriots probably won't need a ton of safety help to do so. With Smith not producing deep and outside the numbers, safeties and LBs can cheat inside to take away the seams.

The Patriots are better in coverage than one might think and we could have real trouble on Sunday if the Patriots "inside" defenders can focus more on Pitta and Brown than Smith and Jacoby Jones. We might see Flacco dumping the ball off a lot with no one open downfield and that's probably not going to turn out well. The X-factor lately has been Jones, so let's hope he can continue to play well and Smith can start playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Time to pass what your smoking here.
    I second the motion as Torrey catches everything that he is able to get his hands on from Flacco. He is often double covered and it is not like the Ravens have a running game to take off the pass defense pressure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    I second the motion as Torrey catches everything that he is able to get his hands on from Flacco. He is often double covered and it is not like the Ravens have a running game to take off the pass defense pressure.
    This just simply isn't true.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

This is another reason why they need a new offensive system. The system dictates the routes run, the drastic dependency on the rush offense and the lack of quick passing options. Yes, Joe is best at throwing deeper down the field, but you can still have a WC style system with vertical elements. We just saw it in New England when Moss was there and we are seeing it in Green Bay.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    Teams have been showing virtually zero respect for our passing game all season despite our running issues.

It's almost laughable how teams constantly are loading the box on every down despite our struggles and our passing game can't make them pay on any type of consistent basis.

It's a combination of shoddy protection (although it's gotten better...it was board elite criminal how bad it was for the first 8 or 9 games), receivers who still cannot beat man coverage and a scheme that still doesn't really help put guys in the best position to succeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Teams have been showing virtually zero respect for our passing game all season despite our running issues.
    It's almost laughable how teams constantly are loading the box on every down despite our struggles and our passing game can't make them pay on any type of consistent basis.
    It's a combination of shoddy protection (although it's gotten better...it was board elite criminal how bad it was for the first 8 or 9 games), receivers who still cannot beat man coverage and a scheme that still doesn't really help put guys in the best position to succeed.
    Shall we just say THANK GOODNESS for Justin Tucker, and leave it at that... Bc