Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Torrey Smith has Sucked

I don't think he's sucked, but I do not think he's a #1 either and have said that all along - nothing to do with past couple weeks. Working within this offense and how they choose to run it though, he's suitable, and given the cap situation, he along with Jacoby may be the best they can do, and that's probably good enough if you have a healthy Pitta too.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

I agree with a lot of other posters in here.

Torrey hasn't sucked, but his deficiencies clearly suggest that this team probably shouldn't rely on him as a true #1 receiver.

Three plays from yesterday clearly stick out in my mind.

1) the deep pass where Torrey threw his arm over the corner's helmet rather than tracking and going for the ball. There was at least a 3-5 yard cushion between him and the sideline and he had the inside route. Flacco out it between Torrey and the sideline. Can't ask for a better pass than that and Torrey needs to make that reception.

2) Torrey has a corner lined up at least 25 yards off the ball and does an option comeback-go route. Had he sat on that comeback, he and Flacco would have hooked up for at least 12-15 yards. Maybe even more?

3). In the red zone, Flacco guns a pass out to Torrey on the right side of the field. Flacco saw single high coverage and the corner was cheating to the inside. Instead of recognizing the mismatch, Torrey goes to block the corner. Didn't even think about the fact that they had a good opportunity to at least get the ball down towards the goal line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Jacoby 6rec for 80, Torrey 4 for 69, Marlon 4 for 31, Pitta 2 for 24, Dickson 3 for 10

Flacco likes to spread it around. He doesn't focus in on any receiver. Also, they missed on a lot of deep balls tonight.
    This^. Flacco's got more toys to play with (Pitta, Jacoby, Marlon, hell, even Dickson is making catches). Earlier in the season, Joe had to look for Torrey more. True, Torrey has had a few bounce of the hands in this run (they all have). But I, for one, am glad to see less of him on crossing routes getting slammed by LBs and DEs w/ little chance for YAC and a chance of injury. If he is drawing double or bracket coverage, he's still helping the other receivers, only it doesn't show up in his stats.

I'd say the same thing to posters who whine "Where's Haloti gone?" (He's eating up blockers like they are RO FO Chicken).

Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    I've been shitted on for saying that Torrey isn't a "true #1" wr but he just isn't. On the other hand, the coaches need to draw up more plays for him running more underneath routes instead of sending him deep like 90% of the time.
    This is what drives me crazy. Everyone knew Detroit was going to blitz like crazy in the 4th quarter and we were not adjusting. A common theme with our coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree with a lot of other posters in here.

Torrey hasn't sucked, but his deficiencies clearly suggest that this team probably shouldn't rely on him as a true #1 receiver.

Three plays from yesterday clearly stick out in my mind.

1) the deep pass where Torrey threw his arm over the corner's helmet rather than tracking and going for the ball. There was at least a 3-5 yard cushion between him and the sideline and he had the inside route. Flacco out it between Torrey and the sideline. Can't ask for a better pass than that and Torrey needs to make that reception.

2) Torrey has a corner lined up at least 25 yards off the ball and does an option comeback-go route. Had he sat on that comeback, he and Flacco would have hooked up for at least 12-15 yards. Maybe even more?

3). In the red zone, Flacco guns a pass out to Torrey on the right side of the field. Flacco saw single high coverage and the corner was cheating to the inside. Instead of recognizing the mismatch, Torrey goes to block the corner. Didn't even think about the fact that they had a good opportunity to at least get the ball down towards the goal line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    all good points especially #3 Maybe Torrey didn't hear an audible due to crowd noise but it was there would have been a big play

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post

One thing, I've never seen Torrey run is a stop and go. This would be nice if he gets singled up.
    He ran this route last night on the first deep pass to him. The CB was so far off that he had plenty of time to recover.

Technically, he should push to break the CB's cushion and then stutter but I'm not sure if that's how the Ravens run it.

Ravens won,most players have had a bad game or more this year. Being one dimensional doesn't help the receivers either. Picking on Torrey is wrong,it was a team win,everyone contributed (especially Tucker LOL).

Torrey is still young. He will still improve. He is only in his 3rd season and he has broken 1000 yards in 14 games. I think he is a true #1 WR. There are 32 #1 receivers in the NFL, and Torrey is 16th in receiving yards right now. He is not a star, but he is solid.

In my opinion, Torrey's greatest problem is the play designs. NOBODY is getting open for the Ravens. We have a talented group of WRs - why can't they get open? From what I can tell, the Ravens' pass plays need to be more imaginative.

All that and we still couldn't get inside the 10 or take a real shot in the endzone. I didn't agree with the redzone playcalling last night at all. Torrey was #1 in receiving yards a few games ago and is now 16th e needs to step up some more.

Blog Entries

There is a serious coaching defficiency on the offensive side of the ball. They need a new system and new coaches.

Arian Foster got hurt. Ben Tate was ineffectively running with cracked ribs, and Kubiak still have rookie WRs running open all across the field.

Hang by the phone Gary!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

one thing ive observed: torrey went out of the steelers game briefly for a "hand" injury - and hasnt been the same since coming back in. i dont think he had a drop all year up until the steelers game (after he came back). and the last few weeks, i feel like they're hiding him, hes more of a decoy.

Blog Entries

From wicked on Torrey's perfofmance vs. the Lions :

"As for Torrey Smith – first, I have to congratulate him for becoming the first Ravens receiver since Derrick Mason to eclipse 1,000 yards receiving. There were three distinct plays yesterday that make me think that Smith – as good as he is – will likely never truly develop into a true #1 receiver. Granted, this offense doesn’t necessarily need a “#1 receiver”, but after three seasons I would expect both Torrey’s ability to adjust to passes and his on-field awareness to be a lot better than they seem to be.
    The first instance was the deep pass down the left sideline. Torrey was covered by Rashean Mathis who he had effectively driven towards the middle of the field leaving a solid 3-5 yard cushion between Torrey and the sideline. Flacco’s pass was perfectly placed between Torrey and the sideline and instead of adjusting to the pass, Torrey swung his arm over Mathis’ helmet and then stretched out one hand for the pass as it fell incomplete. To me, it looked like Torrey was trying to draw a pass interference flag.
    The second instance came on the same side of the field and Torrey was given a huge cushion from Mathis (at least 10-12 yards). Torrey sprinted, did a double move to try and draw Mathis up and then Torrey sprinted further down the field. Now, Torrey didn’t sell the stop route very well, so Mathis didn’t come back to him at all. However, when Torrey stopped Mathis was still a good 8-10 yards behind Torrey. Had he just stayed there and let Flacco hit him on the stop route, Torrey would have had a big first down and then some.
    The third instance came on the right side of the field, late in the game. Flacco saw single-high coverage by the safety with the corner (Jonte Green) cheating towards the inside. Flacco snapped the ball and quickly fired it out to Torrey who was busy blocking down on Green. Now, that could be a lack of communication, but Flacco clearly saw something in the secondary that made him think that Torrey could have made a big play there and Torrey just wasn’t on the same page at all. Still, Torrey made some big plays in the middle of the field, so overall I’d give him a B- performance."

... Bc