Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Bengals Punter's Jaw Broken by Steelers Blind Side Hit

The hit was just "too high." Like Major League, the home run was "too high."

"Too high" is now a foul on a lot of hits. It doesn't matter if it wasn't helmet to helmet. Shoulder to "neck area" is illegal on a defenseless player, which again means it was "too high."

Do I like how expansive the new rule has become? No. But it was a foul according to the rules.

It's bullshit to fine a guy for a football hit. More pusification of the NFL. You can see it breaking the game down further and further. These guys are making hits on instinct, they can't account for everything. You see it when guys are pulling up on the sidelines, and the ball carrier uses that to his advantage and gets by the tackler(s), and then runs for 10-20 more yards because these guys have to worry about making the "right kind of hit" and where am I on the field, etc. It's supposed to be a violent game. You can't make a contact sport not have any violence in it.

As was stated many times already, if punters and kickers aren't fair game when they are on the field, then they should just kick and run off the field, they should not be afforded special considerations when they are trying to involve themselves in a play.

3. Re: Bengals Punter's Jaw Broken by Steelers Blind Side Hit

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    Yes I suppose that is true. And Houston Raven, I suppose it really wasn't a true blind side hit. The punter was running towards the returner and was seemingly oblivious to the blocker coming at him.

Still it was an unnecessary helmet to helmet on a punter, who was unlikely to make the tackle anyway. I think the Steeler player Garvin singled him out because he was easy prey.

I didn't see the entire game but I noticed on the next punt the Bengals FG punter had to kpunt and kicked it about 30 yards. The Steelers probably would have won anyway but they gained a competitive advantage in the game due to this illegal vicious play.
    This is FOOTBALL, if you lace them up your eligible to get lit up. I don't care what position you play. And what exactly is the problem with gaining a competitive advantage due to big hits!?! The goal of a tackle isn't just to end a play, it's the end a play with prejudice. The offensive player should be thinking about the last play when he runs the next one, that's when a defender has done his job. That's life on the gridiron, that's American football.

Should he have led with his helmet? No. Should he have eased up? NO! De-cleat that fool. With any luck he and his backup will stay out of the next kick coverage, regardless of whether or not they have a chance to make the play. FOOTBALL people! This is the nature if the sport. Aheusisjsisushsyyshs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    As was stated many times already, if punters and kickers aren't fair game when they are on the field, then they should just kick and run off the field, they should not be afforded special considerations when they are trying to involve themselves in a play.
    Every discussion of kickers trying to make tackles brings back visions of Sam Koch sending a Bengals returner flying about five yards through the air. Poor fool had no idea who he was trying to run through.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Does anyone remember the play a couple games ago where a Ravens player got a penalty for blocking the punter? It was nothing compared the hit on the Bengal's punter.

Neither should be a flag IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

They oughta just make it a flag football league and get it over with. That was a great hit, while being unfortunate for Huber. I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but hits like that are (or were, I guess) part of the game.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

A team has their head coach run on the field during a key punt return and nearly takes a punter's face off, and yet they're the All-American well run franchise in ESPN's eyes and we're not?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    It's bullshit to fine a guy for a football hit. More pusification of the NFL. You can see it breaking the game down further and further...
    In my crystal ball, made of plastic, I can see the future of the NFL. All teams will have to wear the same uniforms :
    (1) Offensive players wearing BLACK shirts can be tackled from above the knees to the shoulders.
    (2) If they're wearing RED, then tackles can only be made from the waist to the letters.
    (3) Wearing PINK, then the defensive player has to ask, "May I tackle you in any manner you see fit?"
    (4) Naked players (Punters, Kickers,QBs) are not allowed to be tackled... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    When do football players NOT try to do that? He had a clear shot at a guy who was attempting to make a tackle. He got his helmet in there, which under the rules should have been a flag, but I don't think he was trying to cheap-shot him. It wasn't anywhere close to a "blind side" hit.

A shoulder pad to the chest would have been a good, clean, legal hit on someone who was trying to make a play.
    When your doing it to the punter is when it's questionable. The punter wasn't even looking at him. He just wanted to deck somebody and found an easy target. Kickers and punters are deemed defenseless players.

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    He just wanted to deck somebody and found an easy target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    A team has their head coach run on the field during a key punt return and nearly takes a punter's face off....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Then seeing the targeting of Kevin Huber by Terence Garvin was enough to cause me to change channels and watch something else.

Were you some of you guys not watching this game? The punter was visually tracking and targeting the ball carrier. You can see his eyes and body react to the runner in open space. The punter was running to and had the angle on the return man, for a brief moment... He also should have been aware of his surroundings. Yes it sucks for him, yes it was a hard/brutal hit.... could that defender have let up a little and just blocked/shielded his body from the play...? Probably. The argument there would be, if you are standing there standing the dude up gently, you aren't running down field looking for the next block. So you pancake the guy and move on. This isn't pee wee football. Football is a dangerous sport. Potentially deadly in fact. If you don't want to play the game... then don't play.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    In my crystal ball, made of plastic, I can see the future of the NFL. All teams will have to wear the same uniforms :
    (1) Offensive players wearing BLACK shirts can be tackled from above the knees to the shoulders.
    (2) If they're wearing RED, then tackles can only be made from the waist to the letters.
    (3) Wearing PINK, then the defensive player has to ask, "May I tackle you in any manner you see fit?"
    (4) Naked players (Punters, Kickers,QBs) are not allowed to be tackled... Bc
    We should include #5 as Injured players can return to the field naked too because they cant be touched since they are hurt. "now returning to the game, Terrence Cody" 'Sh*T wheres the remote!'

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    When your doing it to the punter is when it's questionable. The punter wasn't even looking at him. He just wanted to deck somebody and found an easy target. Kickers and punters are deemed defenseless players.
    But if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the punter actively engaged in the game at that point, and thus not deemed defenseless? You can't give them all of these protections while they're making tackles, that's not exactly fair.