Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Position

Safety Position

Anyone have an educated guess on what we do in the offseason? I don't know what Dig's contract looks like?

We obviously need a free safety, but where would we get one and what does that mean for Dig? Assuming that Elam is a long term raven

Blog Entries

Re: Safety Position

Two options:

1. Draft a guy
    2. Sign a vet min FA
    3. Develop Omar Brown

We could go with option 2, but they aren't likely to be very good (see Huff). Omar Brown is an intriguing option, but until he shows he's ready, you can't put all your eggs in that basket.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Whatever happens I want Elam back at his natural SS position. He'll be such a playmaker there.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Ravens have not historically valued the safety position enough to invest multiple high-round picks, but then again, they had Ed Reed locking down one spot for a decade. Even though that's changed, I still can't see them spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on another safety this upcoming year after spending a 1st on Elam last year. There isn't enough positional value there and the dropoff between a 1st round talent like Clinton-Dix and a 3rd or 4th round talent like Deone Buchanan isn't very big.

I think they'll either draft a mid-to-late round guy to compete with Omar Brown OR (my preferred solution) is to see if a Daryl Smith type of player is available in free agency. The guy I'm looking at most is Antoine Bethea. He's been a very good player for the Colts at free safety for a long time now, but his performance isn't what it used to be and he's not really getting a lot of attention in the press anymore.

I doubt Indianapolis resigns him, not after locking up a lot of money in LaRon Landry. I think he'll hit the market and I doubt he'll get a big payday. The Ravens are going to be super tight for money, but if they can make some moves to get some space freed up, Bethea would be my #1 "street" FA after re-signing our own guys.

Kerry Rhodes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Two options:

1. Draft a guy
    2. Sign a vet min FA
    3. Develop Omar Brown

We could go with option 2, but they aren't likely to be very good (see Huff). Omar Brown is an intriguing option, but until he shows he's ready, you can't put all your eggs in that basket.
    Wait...
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Two options:

1. Draft a guy
    2. Sign a vet min FA
    3. Develop Omar Brown
    I agree with your 2+1 options. Elam needs to play SS next year. They were thinking the right thing getting Huff, too bad it didn't work out.

Blog Entries

I think they'll try to keep Dig on a 1 to 2 year deal. He's a good player.

The only thing I see as an issue there is that Elam would still be playing out of position.

This isn't a great draft for safety either, at least center field, coverage safeties. I like Lamarcus Joyner out of Florida State, but he is kind of a tweener and he is 5'8". Still, he is a good player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Thanks for chiming in guys

Blog Entries

Keep an eye on Ryan Mundy. He was a solid player in Pittsburgh whenever he replaced Troy or Clark, he can play both SS and FS too. Before his injury, he was actually playing really well for the Giants. I'd rather sign him to a cheap 2 year deal, and move Elam to SS, rather than re-sign Ihedigbo, who will have teams interested in free agency;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Keep an eye on Ryan Mundy. He was a solid player in Pittsburgh whenever he replaced Troy or Clark, he can play both SS and FS too. Before his injury, he was actually playing really well for the Giants. I'd rather sign him to a cheap 2 year deal, and move Elam to SS, rather than re-sign Ihedigbo, who will have teams interested in free agency;
    I suppose that is a possibility, though I'm not as high on Mundy as you are.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Be interesting to watch,
    Somebody like Tre Boston (UNC) might be interesting if he drops into the 5th round since he can play CB also
    (2nd team all-ACC selection by the coaches)

Haha Clinton-Dix 6'1" of Alabama could drop from accepting money but I doubt it
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old