Thread: TE or WR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: TE or WR

Check's in the mail, Igotstoknow!
    These boards are great b/c they are jammed packed with full of smart guys around here...in all areas of the game, and in the business of the game. I'm just trying to keep up!

WRT late-round guys, I really like Bowling Green's Alex Bayer and Indiana's Ted Bolser.
    Both take a lot of snaps in the mid-slot, tight-slot, in-line, and in the backfield. Any Kubiak offense will feature the same multi-positioning.

Bolser is a natural pass catcher. He extends his hands, and the ball just gets swallowed up, and then he's immediately in an aggressive running posture/position. Think Gronk or think the opposite of Ed Dickson. At an unconfirmed 6'5 257, he's a little bigger than Kubiak's TE median that I talk about above...FWIW. His blocking needs improving (like so many college TEs). I mean he's often in position for his assignment, but he doesn't quite lock-on and drive guys. His career line is 117 / 1337 / 15 for an 11.4 average. For 2013, he went 35 / 320 / 6 for a 9.1 average. Not sexy at all, but he'll get a Combine invite (big guy, Big 10) and I think he's a mid rounder.

Bayer looks to be very well-rounded. His blocking is top tier for this class...but that needs to be emphasized; this class. With the ball in his hands, he's not quite the smooth player that Bolser is, but he's more than just a big rumbler. His hands look solid, he's athletic enough, and he flashes some attitude too. He's an unconfirmed 6'4 258. His TD vs. Pitt @ 4:36 is pretty nice. His career line is 115 / 1543 / 10 for a 13.4 average. For 2013, he went 37 / 593 / 4 for a 16.0 average. He had a monster game in the MAC championship helping take down undefeated Northern Illinois. We'll see in a week or so when the announcements come whether he gets an invite or not. Seems like he's a lock.

Also, I happen to pretty much randomly watch Illinois' Evan Wilson pretty early in the season and I still haven't seen a better blocker. If I have a dark horse, it's him. His stats line is minimal and he won't get a Combine invite, so he's well into UDFA territory.

For your first question, I need to put my notes together for Niklas, Lynch and Gilmore, but my "to the point" impressions of each are as follows...
    Niklas - raw, needs to develop and strengthen
    Lynch - soft (as in not tough for his size) and unreliable hands
    Gilmore - athletic, high potential

Also, it's worth noting that Matt Furstenburg perfectly fits the physical blueprint of a Kubiak TE. With the decks likely cleared of Dickson and Clark, and if we go with a mid/low round pick, Furstenburg will get his snaps and chances.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 01-29-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver