Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Cold-Pocalypse 2014

How's everyone doing?

Seeing my FB feed and news reports, sounds like Baltimore is pretty cold right now.

Heard that some schools are still open?!?!

Blog Entries

Re: Cold-Pocalypse 2014

How cold is it? I looked on Weather Network and it was only -16 with wind chill warning. Perhaps I'm being insensitive, being from Southern Alberta where we regularly face -30 and wind chills down to -50, but it seems pretty crazy to close schools at the temperatures I'm seeing on Weather network?

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    How cold is it? I looked on Weather Network and it was only -16 with wind chill warning. Perhaps I'm being insensitive, being from Southern Alberta where we regularly face -30 and wind chills down to -50, but it seems pretty crazy to close schools at the temperatures I'm seeing on Weather network?
    Heating systems in Baltimore were not sized/designed for those low of temperatures like they are in Alberta… its that simple.

It's 7 degrees in DC but feels like negatives. I'm the biggest wimp ever with the cold (but love the heat) so I'm currently waiting for a cab to work...too cold for walking!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It's not so much the heating systems but its the fact that kids have to stand outside to wait for a school bus or walk which is worse.

I was out last night and it reminded me of the times I had to go to Minneapolis and North Dakota. It's simply a different kind of cold that if you aren't from there you simply have a hard time adjusting to it.

A friend sent me a picture of her outside thermometer in Middle River, 6 degrees.....yikes. Be careful out there people. Bring your pets in......look in on the elderly. Good luck!

Blog Entries

I'd accept the 'heating systems' argument if we were talking about a warm climate city like New Orleans, but Baltimore is used to cooler temperatures in the winter. On the other hand, I didn't consider that it's a higher humidity cool which would make it cut much worse. Also, we drive everywhere here, didn't consider all the walking and waiting. I'm used to doing that in Europe, and I'd be bitching hard if I got caught in -15 in London or Paris.
    Last edited by JonAB; 01-07-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Autocorrect mistake

Blog Entries

Should also point out I'm speaking in Celsius, which I know is sacrilegious in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    It's not so much the heating systems but its the fact that kids have to stand outside to wait for a school bus or walk which is worse.
    That was my first thought as well.

A friend of mine who live in Frederick kept his kids home today since they have to walk to school. He was incredulous that FCPS stayed open today.

Blog Entries

Not that it compares, but all the way down here where I now live (on the coast about an hour north of Myrtle Beach) it is 18 and windy. It is really unbelievable since our air is usually semi-tropical.

They delayed school for 2 hours for a simple reason: many of the kids do not own proper winter clothing here and they wanted to make sure the buses worked and the school heat systems were ok before bringing in the kids.

In a place where it's only cold -- really cold -- just a couple of days a year (and by cold I mean low 30s or at worst, high 20s) children in poverty do not own winter coats, hats or gloves.

Much ado about nothing....other than the outrageous BGE bill I will be getting.

Blog Entries

Be sure and bring your outside pets into the house!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!