Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Obama at Mandela's Funeral

I certainly dont see it as a good thing, i just dont see it as a bad thing. To me its a complete non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It simply reaffirms my belief that all politicians, left or right, believe themselves to be above everyone else.
    Thats probably true, whether i feel this is an example of it or not. Politicians use to be farmers and store owners doing a public service. Now its a career with power which disconnects from the common man. Thats an issue. If I could make one rule it would be to make that change. No longer allow politician to be a career path.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    If you want a robot for President thats fine but personally I dont have a problem with a personable President. I dont believe he was the only one using this event to "network" and try to build relations. Taking photos with other world leaders while celebrating the life of Mandela is not something I find remotely offensive or any way negative to our world view. Wire tapping those leaders is much more damning and he actually took steps in mending those relationships which I think should be the bigger story, but isnt because people are fixating on something trivial than something meaningful. Keep in mind it wasnt the Mandela Funeral, it was the Mandela Memorial, which may be little, but celebrating life vs mourning death is too entirely different things, imo. knowing what the man stood for, taking photos and bringing people together i think is the last thing that would be insulting.
    A robot? Hyperbole much?

There is a difference between being personable and being borderline disrespectful. IMO, this is more towards the latter. Show a little bearing, know the cameras are directly trained on you and have fun later after the event if you'd like.

This is about perception, which the perception of the US on a global level is not very good. As the President, I'd like to think that he would be more aware.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Thats probably true, whether i feel this is an example of it or not. Politicians use to be farmers and store owners doing a public service. Now its a career with power which disconnects from the common man. Thats an issue. If I could make one rule it would be to make that change. No longer allow politician to be a career path.
    I would certainly support that type of a rule change. I mean, politicians can retire and collect a pension...how is that even remotely ok?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    A robot? Hyperbole much?

There is a difference between being personable and being borderline disrespectful. IMO, this is more towards the latter. Show a little bearing, know the cameras are directly trained on you and have fun later after the event if you'd like.

This is about perception, which the perception of the US on a global level is not very good. As the President, I'd like to think that he would be more aware.
    id say a Robot is a pretty good analogy for not showing emotion but to each their own.

Are you taking into account that the Lady, Denmarks Prime Minister, is the one who wanted/took the photo? Obama getting out his phone and taking this photo may have more grounds for being a bigger issue i guess (still not imo), but her taking hers out and asking for a simple photo would seem to me to be more trouble to decline than taking the 5 seconds to take it. what looks worse? taking a photo for 5 seconds with other leaders amongst 90k people or declining a simple photo request from one of those leaders? I think youre painting a lose/lose scenario, which is part of the reason its a non-issue to me.

I would certainly support that type of a rule change. I mean, politicians can retire and collect a pension...how is that even remotely ok?!
    I think it would solve a lot of problems. getting the money out of politics would start that change. right now its a great way to make a living by not really doing much of anything.
    -JAB

A robot? Hyperbole much?

:word

I think that's why you're seeing many on the left also upset with the President here.

This wasn't a baseball game, dinner with friends or hanging out with the family. It was a memorial service.

Are you taking into account that the Lady, Denmarks Prime Minister, is the one who wanted/took the photo? Obama getting out his phone and taking this photo may have more grounds for being a bigger issue i guess (still not imo), but her taking hers out and asking for a simple photo would seem to me to be more trouble to decline than taking the 5 seconds to take it. what looks worse? taking a photo for 5 seconds with other leaders amongst 90k people or declining a simple photo request from one of those leaders? I think youre painting a lose/lose scenario, which is part of the reason its a non-issue to me.
    Oh come on. None of the cameras would ever notice the President whispering to her, saying "hey, lets do this a little later when the cameras are not around". You're coming off as an apologist now.

And she was just as wrong. As was Dubya with his photos too. This is about being respectful to the ceremony, not if you're going to be noticed or not. Integrity is proven when you do the right thing even if you think nobody is watching.

getting the money out of politics would start that change.
    Such a vague statement. There's always been money in politics and there always will / should be. It's the only way anything gets done.

Blog Entries

id say a Robot is a pretty good analogy for not showing emotion but to each their own.

I think it would solve a lot of problems. getting the money out of politics would start that change. right now its a great way to make a living by not really doing much of anything.
    IMO she is just as guilty as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Oh come on. None of the cameras would ever notice the President whispering to her, saying "hey, lets do this a little later when the cameras are not around". You're coming off as an apologist now.

And she was just as wrong. As was Dubya with his photos too. This is about being respectful to the ceremony, not if you're going to be noticed or not. Integrity is proven when you do the right thing even if you think nobody is watching.

Such a vague statement. There's always been money in politics and there always will / should be. It's the only way anything gets done.

I bolded the part that exemplifies my feelings.
    I've jsut never seen anyone act like that at the memorial service for anyone, ever, anywhere.
    And I've been to some seriusly low class, "white trash" events.
    A memorial service is simply NOT the time and place for acting like that.
    Stoic was the perfect word, it's not what is "expected" at such an event, it is what is "DEMANDED" of all adults with class.
    I group in anyone else carrying on in this manner the same. Obama is no worse here then the Danish PM.

Blog Entries

What's the problem? It's not like he was giving her a cum-stained dress like another DEM prez with his gal fri in the ovary office with no one looking.