Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??



    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I don't disagree with that but shanahan, by doing this, has announced to his team that the season is over. We don't care if we lose the rest of the way out. I mean how many players are going to put forth their best efforts after this?
    I heard an interesting take on that today but it was related to the Texans. Pat Kirwan said that when a coach gets fired or something like this happens with a few games left, the veterans in the locker room usually tell the young guys they better be playing hard. He said the new coach will go right to the tape of those last games and see who wasn't giving 100%. Gave a few examples. Just found it to be an interesting angle.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I don't disagree with that but shanahan, by doing this, has announced to his team that the season is over. We don't care if we lose the rest of the way out. I mean how many players are going to put forth their best efforts after this?
    99% of them.

    Very few in the league got to where they are by not being the most competitive people on the planet.

    People play for jobs, pride and because they're incredibly competitive.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I heard an interesting take on that today but it was related to the Texans. Pat Kirwan said that when a coach gets fired or something like this happens with a few games left, the veterans in the locker room usually tell the young guys they better be playing hard. He said the new coach will go right to the tape of those last games and see who wasn't giving 100%. Gave a few examples. Just found it to be an interesting angle.
    Yes, it is. Shanahan says he cares about what happens to the franchise 10 years from now. If true he knows he will be long gone.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    99% of them.

    Very few in the league got to where they are by not being the most competitive people on the planet.

    People play for jobs, pride and because they're incredibly competitive.
    I agree with this for the most part, however, there are many players around the league who would not want to risk career ending injuries if the coach decides that their starting QB is being "shut down" because only he is too valuable to risk injury. It's no different than preseason games. If the games don't matter why not shut down all your starters and let the back ups play?

    The bigger issue here IMO, is the potential impact this could have on the playoff picture and the Redskin's position in the 2014 draft. How would we feel if Tomlin decided to shut down big Jen against Cincy just because they are out of the playoffs?
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  5. #35

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Snyder can't be happy with what's going on. A lot of money being wasted.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Well, Wapo caught it too. Video link at the bottom.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mike-shanahan/
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I agree with this for the most part, however, there are many players around the league who would not want to risk career ending injuries if the coach decides that their starting QB is being "shut down" because only he is too valuable to risk injury. It's no different than preseason games. If the games don't matter why not shut down all your starters and let the back ups play?

    The bigger issue here IMO, is the potential impact this could have on the playoff picture and the Redskin's position in the 2014 draft. How would we feel if Tomlin decided to shut down big Jen against Cincy just because they are out of the playoffs?
    Shanny shutting down RG3 is a fuck you to him and Snyder, not because he's trying to save him for next season. Shanny won't even be there next season.

    He's doing this because he's tired of RG3 going over his head to Snyder and Snyder showing RG3 special treatment.

    There's no real impact in next years draft either. They traded their first round pick to the Rams to get RG3.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Is Michael Irvin implying that Mike Shanahan is a racist? That RG III was only benched because he is not white?

    Edit: To clarify I am listening to NFLN Live and happened to hear some incredible comments.
    I heard Irvin talk about it too and I think he was implying that. However, in Shanahan's case, there's a history. The way his camp leaked out that Donavan McNabb couldn't remember the plays and needed a wristband and so forth. The whole way he played the McNabb/Grossman situation, claiming that Grossman could run the offense better and understood it better. It made no logically sense other than what Irvin eluded to in his own way. Other players have had their own thoughts about Shanahan. He has a rep and a history.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I heard Irvin talk about it too and I think he was implying that. However, in Shanahan's case, there's a history. The way his camp leaked out that Donavan McNabb couldn't remember the plays and needed a wristband and so forth. The whole way he played the McNabb/Grossman situation, claiming that Grossman could run the offense better and understood it better. It made no logically sense other than what Irvin eluded to in his own way. Other players have had their own thoughts about Shanahan. He has a rep and a history.
    He also used Albert Haynesworth in his analogy, which immediately took away any sense or logic. Haynesworthless stepped on a guys head without a helmet on. He was a maggot.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I heard Irvin talk about it too and I think he was implying that. However, in Shanahan's case, there's a history. The way his camp leaked out that Donavan McNabb couldn't remember the plays and needed a wristband and so forth. The whole way he played the McNabb/Grossman situation, claiming that Grossman could run the offense better and understood it better. It made no logically sense other than what Irvin eluded to in his own way. Other players have had their own thoughts about Shanahan. He has a rep and a history.
    History? What history?

    Like sticking with a broken down Terrell Davis for three years after his prime? Or being the one who worked the McNabb deal in the first place?

    And you got the wristband story wrong. McNabb was screwing up plays for weeks when Shanny went to him, asking him to wear the wrist band. He refused.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    I heard Shannon Sharpe talking about playing for Shanny. He said he's a tough coach to play for, always focuses on the negatives and things you did wrong, never giving any credit. Really keeps his thumb on guys. Looking back, Shanny said it helped him a lot but was tough at the time.

    I get the sense RG3 doesn't like this type of treatment
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #42

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Maybe the real point of this is to shop Cousins for a first round pick;

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...d-firstrounder

    This whole thing reeks of unnecessary drama. There's so much more wrong with that team and it doesn't get fixed by shuttering the starting QB for the last three weeks of the season. Crazy.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac in Va View Post
    Maybe the real point of this is to shop Cousins for a first round pick;

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...d-firstrounder

    This whole thing reeks of unnecessary drama. There's so much more wrong with that team and it doesn't get fixed by shuttering the starting QB for the last three weeks of the season. Crazy.
    There's no doubt that's part of the plan. If they can just get ONE team to overpay, they can get some picks back.

    Sadly for them, their pick this year will be very high - #2 or could even be the top pick... but the Rams own it
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    History? What history?

    Like sticking with a broken down Terrell Davis for three years after his prime? Or being the one who worked the McNabb deal in the first place?

    And you got the wristband story wrong. McNabb was screwing up plays for weeks when Shanny went to him, asking him to wear the wrist band. He refused.
    I should have clarified. He has a history of having these type of issues with players. Not necessarily racial prejudice. Honestly, I believe Snyder pulled the move for McNabb. It's the exact type of move Snyder would pull, it's clear now that Snyder hasn't changed his ways and that Shanahan has not been running the show as much as originally believed, and Shanahan does also have a history of leaking information. I do agree with CincyCat, in that Haynesworth is a bad example on Irvin's part.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: OT - RG3 Gets Shut Down For Season - WTF??

    Kudos to Shannon Sharpe for essentially calling out Irvin by saying "Race had nothing to do with Shanahan's decision". Shannon has known Shanahan for a long long time.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland