Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Could Nick Saban (potentially) leaving for Texas be an opening for Ozzie to leave Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Somehow I think it is an idyllic dream and Oz may return to his alma mater at some point.

But he is at the top of his profession currently and quite possibly on a HOF track as a GM. There are a handful of NFL players who have made it as coaches HOF but no double dippers AFAIK

HOF Players who coached
    Sammy Baugh
    Raymond Berry
    Jack Christiansen
    Mike Ditka
    Tom Fears
    Otto Graham
    Forrest Gregg
    Dick LeBeau
    Mike McCormack
    Mike Munchak
    Jim Ringo
    Joe Schmidt
    Art Shell
    Mike Singletary
    Bart Starr
    Clyde Turner
    Norm Van Brocklin
    Bob Waterfield

Only 4 of the above had winning records (Schmidt, Shell) and only 2 made it to the super bowl, ironically the same year (Ditka, Raymond Berry)

As for General Manager, the HOF has a blanket section called "Contributor" and in that mix has Team Administrator (Jim Finks for one, Tex Schramm for another) other than that most of the 19 are Owners or commissioners (2)

Ozzie is the first man with a shot at double dipping... I don't think he thinks much about this, but I feel he still has a destiny being worked out, and it ain't yet at Alabama

It looks like he has (and had) wonderful working conditions, 2 supportive owners, and a second in command unequaled elsewhere

Does he have to retire before he can be elected as a contributor? I don't know....
    Pretty sure you can't get elected twice. Once you're in, you're in.

Re: Could Nick Saban (potentially) leaving for Texas be an opening for Ozzie to leave Baltimore?

Ozzie is 57 and is at the top of his game as a NFL GM. It's a different skill set to be a college AD. Does he want to take on that kind of challenge now? Guys like Lebeau working into their 70's are rare. As far as him going to Alabama now, that question was answered last year with the Battle hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    UT has 4. I don't know about Bama.

But I said "history and tradition". There's more to that than titles.
    Bama certainly has more than 4; but, I agree, there is more to it than just titles. Imho, however, Bama has a steeper tradition than does UT.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Here's a thought: As great as Ozzie is, perhaps Harbaughs's philosophy is a reflection of Ozzie's philosophy and maybe he sees that it's time for a change, thus, why he would be willing to go to
    Bama, where his philosophy is already in place with their style of play and can continue to thrive, while DeCosta takes over here and helps this team evolve into the pass first team we've all wanted to see.

Just throwing stuff out there for discussion.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Also, maybe this is part of why there are rumors about Harbaugh to Michigan. Saban leaves for Texas (More so for ego, but the money won't hurt). Alabama clears the aisle for Ozzie. Harbaugh sees the writing on the wall with the philosophical change and leaves for Michigan, while DeCosta takes over here for Ozzie and brings in not only a new HC, but an entirely new offensive system and begins to focus on building around Flacco.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

According to http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_Al..._championships; Bama has 15 national championships.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I don't know, haven't been able to verify that as written in stone.

I can't find where it has been done.... the people with the possible credentials for it were brought in as a total package ... like George Halas (Coach, Owner, Organizer, 2 way Player) in 1963

That is why I looked at coaches who were elected as former players, and no one there stands out as HOF Coach.... closest might be Ditka "my draft for Ricky Williams" but he did win one SB.....

As far as administrators, there are not many, and I'd guess a large body of work (years) would be needed.
    The only "peer" to Ozzie that I can think of is Larry Wilson with the Arizona Cardinals who stopped GM in 93 and retired as VP in '02.

Ozzie is blazing a new path, and while double dipping hasn't been done before, I can't find where it is expressly forbidden... I don't think they ever considered it a possible issue so didn't address it in the by-laws IMHO
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Question: Why would Saban want to leave 'Bama (a storied football factory), to go to Texas? Another interesting discussion point.
    Texas is a top 3 (arguably best job in College football) job based on resources, money, tradition, recruiting.

If I was ranking the top 5 coaching jobs in college football they would shape out something like this: 1. Texas 2. Ohio State 3. Notre Dame 4. Florida 5. Fifth spot is up for debate but - USC, Oklahoma , Alabama, Michigan, Florida State would all have a good argument.

One thing people may not thinking about in regards to Saban is that he has fixed Alabama and put them back on the map. Maybe he wants another challenge to fix arguably the best job a college coach can have? All the while getting a hefty pay raise.

I think he is gone. Could also see a guy like David Shaw get a look there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Didn't Ditka get in as a player and a coach?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Ozzie is 57 and is at the top of his game as a NFL GM. It's a different skill set to be a college AD. Does he want to take on that kind of challenge now? Guys like Lebeau working into their 70's are rare. As far as him going to Alabama now, that question was answered last year with the Battle hiring.
    I agree, and Ozzie is $urely well-paid and respected by Bisciotti. 57 is still "young" as a GM, and he has a younger assistant GM (DeCosta who is also well compensated) to do some of the heavy lifting. This "Flacco" era in Baltimore is nirvana to an NFL GM. Who would want to leave it? ... Bc

Blog Entries

For your college coaching thoughts :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ates-at-texas/

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Didn't Ditka get in as a player and a coach?
    I thought so, too. But the HOF site only has him listed as a tight end.