Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: Our first round pick in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I'd say the one that got the player kicked out of school is more serious than the one that got the player suspended for 2 games. I'd also say that NFL teams would put way more scrutiny on a potential franchise quarterback than a WR. I'll go so far as to guarantee that the Watkins arrest isn't an issue at all to NFL personnel people

He led the nation in YAC this year. Hips aren't stiff at all, his route-running is excellent, and his short-area quickness is great. If the short area quickness wasn't there, he wouldn't be able to seperate from coverage out of his breaks like he does. As I said in another thread, he's more like a one-cut back: He looks to get up the field quickly, rather than juke around and track back a la a DeSean Jackson.

This isn't even close to accurate. He's used on routes that go from inside to out (and vice versa) all the time. Digs and posts that work the mid and deep middle, quick outs, drags, etc.

It's true that he's rarely contested or jammed, and that's due to his explosiveness and ability to separate. It's simply too risky to try to jam him at the LOS. I'm also not sure how you 'ask' a receiver to make contested catches. Wouldn't every OC on the planet rather a receiver try to separate from coverage?
    If watkins drops out of top 10 Ill send you a paycheck, no way we get him.

Our 1st round pick is..... traded for more picks

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Lee's my guy too. I have him being a Ravens based on the hype that Watkins and Evans are receiving, but a great combine may wakeup teams to him. I really really wanted Robert Woods last year and this is the guy who overshadowed Woods who was great in his own right. I didnt ask for anything for Christmas because I was saving my wishes for Lee LOL.
    Do you remember Jermaine Lewis? Lee is not what we need. We need a tall receiver, flacco loves to throw deep

I have to agree. I am been saying for weeks that the so called draft experts are way off base. Look at Ozzie's draft history. Almost 50% of his first round picks have been defensive. Only two have been WR (Clayton and Taylor) 3 have been o-line, but all were starters. I see a o-line pick this year.

That is because WR are too much of a gamble. They all have the skill or they wouldn't be there. But you cannot measure the intangibles that a WR needs to be successful. It is just too easy to miss on drafting a WR in 1st round. Besides Torre, the only other WR that have succeeded in Baltimore were signed as Free Agents.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Do you remember Jermaine Lewis? Lee is not what we need. We need a tall receiver, flacco loves to throw deep
    Not really seeing the comparison there:

Jermaine Lewis - Height: 5 ft 7 in Weight: 183 lb

Marquise Lee - Height: 6 ft 0 in Weight: 195 lb

That's a 5 inch difference. Like saying 6 ft vs 6 ft 5 inches. 5 inches is a wide margin.

Are you basing the need for height based on the current offense or the future one under Kubiak? Think about the struggles at WR we have endured over the last decade or so, the most successful Raven during that time was one Derrick Mason who measured 5 ft 10 in and 197 lbs and did one thing really really well which was get open. This kid can get open, is taller than Mason was and is a threat to score on any given play no matter where the ball is thrown. He is what this offense is missing that.

Remember the "State of the Ravens" address and hearing Ozzie note that we need a WR who can catch a 3 and 7 and get YAC. That sounds like a shifty WR who can beat 1x1 coverage to me.

Besides, we will probably get Pitta back, we already have Marlon (who developed nicely yr 1), and will probably draft a tall pass catching TE early as well as having Furstenburg waiting in the wings who is 6 ft 4 in himself.

How much more height do you need?

Blog Entries

... How much more height do you need?
    Well, since I'm 5' 5" (on a good day), I'd sure like that extra 5" ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Well, since I'm 5' 5" (on a good day), I'd sure like that extra 5" ... Bc
    But you will never hit your head on overhead beams while walking downstairs either like I do (I was 6 feet tall at age 13)!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    But you will never hit your head on overhead beams while walking downstairs either like I do (I was 6 feet tall at age 13)!
    So was I, but I must have shrunk over the years... Bc

Not really seeing the comparison there:

Jermaine Lewis - Height: 5 ft 7 in Weight: 183 lb

Marquise Lee - Height: 6 ft 0 in Weight: 195 lb

That's a 5 inch difference. Like saying 6 ft vs 6 ft 5 inches. 5 inches is a wide margin.

Are you basing the need for height based on the current offense or the future one under Kubiak? Think about the struggles at WR we have endured over the last decade or so, the most successful Raven during that time was one Derrick Mason who measured 5 ft 10 in and 197 lbs and did one thing really really well which was get open. This kid can get open, is taller than Mason was and is a threat to score on any given play no matter where the ball is thrown. He is what this offense is missing that.

Remember the "State of the Ravens" address and hearing Ozzie note that we need a WR who can catch a 3 and 7 and get YAC. That sounds like a shifty WR who can beat 1x1 coverage to me.

Besides, we will probably get Pitta back, we already have Marlon (who developed nicely yr 1), and will probably draft a tall pass catching TE early as well as having Furstenburg waiting in the wings who is 6 ft 4 in himself.

How much more height do you need?
    Cant coach height, Flacco has a tendency to chuck it deep, and height is king on the deep ball. We need a shifty receiver yes, but they are much better suited in a slot WR position. Im not convinced Lee can win consistently 1 on 1 in the NFL deep on the outside. Maybe its all the recent USC receivers not being as good as advertised, and maybe its the fact I still don't trust the ravens will have a better game plan than run, run, chuck it deep. I dont think our O line will be much better. (leading to a lot of 3 and 7+)

I think its irrelevant in the long run, I just think ozzy will trade out of first round to pick up an extra olineman.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Cant coach height, Flacco has a tendency to chuck it deep, and height is king on the deep ball. We need a shifty receiver yes, but they are much better suited in a slot WR position. Im not convinced Lee can win consistently 1 on 1 in the NFL deep on the outside. Maybe its all the recent USC receivers not being as good as advertised, and maybe its the fact I still don't trust the ravens will have a better game plan than run, run, chuck it deep. I dont think our O line will be much better. (leading to a lot of 3 and 7+)

I think its irrelevant in the long run, I just think ozzy will trade out of first round to pick up an extra olineman.
    I'm not so sure. I know that usually is Ozzie's M.O, but this a good year for a impact player where we are positioned. I would say a trade back out of the 1st rd would happen if we were in the 20-32 range, not this year.

Kubiak doesn't look to require a 1st rd pick on the o-line. Besides the players needed to run the scheme he uses might get overlooked and found later in the draft, who knows. I think unless some teams just jump us for players, they will stay put. Plus what's up with getting Monroe back and getting a vet Center along with youngsters Wagner/Jensen (RT/G?C positions)? Draft picks may not apply here honestly.

Thinking about the #1 needs is another pass catcher and a lot of teams(Saints, Panthers, Patriots, 49ers, Steelers, Bills, Detroit, Rams) are looking for the samething in the 1st I'm sure. They run the risk of being picked dry by trading back.

Holes they have, but depth isnt the issue, it's impact players.

Blog Entries

Unless Watkins or Evans drop, which is possible, I'm thinking OL or they trade down.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Unless Watkins or Evans drop, which is possible, I'm thinking OL or they trade down.
    That seems likely to me. I really hope we get Evans. Torrey, Marlon Brown and Mike Evans would be a real nice trio.