Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

Consider Watkins and Evans gone.

We'll be down a 4th and 5th (Monroe), and it's going to cost Ozzie at least two picks to go from let's say #20-22 up to #9-11.
    For a WR? Our GM? I can't see that that happening.
    Maybe, if Watkins had a squeaky-clean past (the talent is definitely worthy IMO) like Torrey then I could tag that move as a "maybe".
    Getting Evans would be the cheaper move (provided he's a saint), but again, we are down 2 picks already.

I can't speak too much to Benjamin right now. He's good, but I don't think he's a 1st round talent. His tape could change my mind. I've only seen him live on TV.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Consider Watkins and Evans gone.

We'll be down a 4th and 5th (Monroe), and it's going to cost Ozzie at least two picks to go from let's say #20-22 up to #9-11.
    For a WR? Our GM? I can't see that that happening.
    Maybe, if Watkins had a squeaky-clean past (the talent is definitely worthy IMO) like Torrey then I could tag that move as a "maybe".
    Getting Evans would be the cheaper move (provided he's a saint), but again, we are down 2 picks already.

I can't speak too much to Benjamin right now. He's good, but I don't think he's a 1st round talent. His tape could change my mind. I've only seen him live on TV.
    I mean I agree...I don't see us making some big trade for anybody really.

More realistic targets at WR specifically would be Lee, Matthews, Robinson and Cooks...personally, the only one of those I'd take in the first would be Lee.

Frankly, IMHO, if we don't trade up for Watkins or Evans, or select Lee closer to where we'll naturally be picking, I wouldn't take one of the other guys in the first...I just hope they wouldn't wait until the 4th or 5th round or later to take a WR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I mean I agree...I don't see us making some big trade for anybody really.

More realistic targets at WR specifically would be Lee, Matthews, Robinson and Cooks...personally, the only one of those I'd take in the first would be Lee.

Frankly, IMHO, if we don't trade up for Watkins or Evans, or select Lee closer to where we'll naturally be picking, I wouldn't take one of the other guys in the first...I just hope they wouldn't wait until the 4th or 5th round or later to take a WR.

Agree on Evans and Watkins both being gone likely in the top 12. If we're picking in the mid to late 20's and Lee is there, he's a good candidate for the pick, depending on the BPA situation. Otherwise if it were me, I would be trying really hard to trade down.

If we can swing a trade to get down into the top 10 of the 2nd for a team who wants to move up for a QB, I would love to get some more picks to replace the 4th and 5th sent in the Monroe trade... and then take Brandin Cooks in the top of the 2nd.

Sadly, I think this line of thinking is correct. We're much more likely to deal down out of the first to stockpile picks. With the financial investment in Flacco, having low-cost guys for roster spots becomes more important.

We may be looking at another no-first year.

I am rooting 100% for us to make the playoffs, but for the long-term health of the franchise, going 5-11 or 6-10 might have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Agree on Evans and Watkins both being gone likely in the top 12. If we're picking in the mid to late 20's and Lee is there, he's a good candidate for the pick, depending on the BPA situation. Otherwise if it were me, I would be trying really hard to trade down.

If we can swing a trade to get down into the top 10 of the 2nd for a team who wants to move up for a QB, I would love to get some more picks to replace the 4th and 5th sent in the Monroe trade... and then take Brandin Cooks in the top of the 2nd.
    I'm not as high on Cooks as you are, but I agree with the trade down scenario depending on what else is on the board.

Maybe ASF is a candidate there?

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'm not as high on Cooks as you are, but I agree with the trade down scenario depending on what else is on the board.

Cooks is in that Antonio Brown/Wes Welker mold. More quick than fast, good route runner, consistent hands and nice YAC ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

He would also be an excellent pick in that spot. We can debate who we like in the spot, but I think it's a nice range to pick up a pass-catcher. You could also go for a Davante Adams or Allen Robinson.

The more I think about it, the more I think a trade down out of the 1st is very likely. I'm sure Ozzie is itching to find a way to get more picks... not having a 4th and 5th is probably eating at him.

Some team is going to fall in love with somebody who slides down into the 20's. It happens every year. I just hope we're the beneficiary again this year... might even be a QB like last time (not that that worked out well for the Broncos!)

Blog Entries

I think this draft will be a great opportunity to trade down. Maybe multiple times like the Pats like to do.

There are at least 6 or 7 quarterbacks that could legitimately be first rounders.

Blog Entries

Jace Amaro is really growing on me. If he runs well, he could be a great pick. He isn't really a TE at all. He is a 6'6" 255lb receiver.

I don't see the Antonio Brown comparison at all with Watkins. Watkins is significantly bigger (at least 3" and 20 pounds) and more physical. A faster Hakeem Nicks seems right to me. Historically, he looks a lot like Tim Brown

Evans is a real wild card. He's a bit of a long-strider and is rail thin, so I think his combine/pro day works outs will affect him as much as any WR prospect. His ability to separate coverage is the concern.

I'd probably rank my top 5:

Watkins
    Lee
    Evans
    Matthews
    Beckham

Benjamin, Robinson, Adams, an Richardson would be in the next tier.

Cody Hoffman and Jeremy Gallon are my mid-late round guys, and I like Alex Amidon, Michael Campanaro, Trey Burton, Kenny Shaw, and Solomon Patton for late round/UDFA consideration.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I don't see the Antonio Brown comparison at all with Watkins. Watkins is significantly bigger (at least 3" and 20 pounds) and more physical. A faster Hakeem Nicks seems right to me. Historically, he looks a lot like Tim Brown

Evans is a real wild card. He's a bit of a long-strider and is rail thin, so I think his combine/pro day works outs will affect him as much as any WR prospect. His ability to separate coverage is the concern.

I'd probably rank my top 5:

Watkins
    Lee
    Evans
    Matthews
    Beckham

Benjamin, Robinson, Adams, an Richardson would be in the next tier.

Cody Hoffman and Jeremy Gallon are my mid-late round guys, and I like Alex Amidon, Michael Campanaro, Trey Burton, Kenny Shaw, and Solomon Patton for late round/UDFA consideration.
    Ted Gin Jr was listed at 6' 195lbs at Ohio State. He measured in at barely 5'11" and about 185-190lbs.

Colleges are the biggest culprits for juking a player's physical attributes WAY up.

Michael Crabtree is another great example. Texas Tech had him listed at 6'3" and 215lbs or so. He measured in at barely over 6'1".

Watkins is a great player, but odds are Clemson is being a little generous regarding his size. I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins actually measures in at 5'11" and in the 190's.

Blog Entries

Kelvin Benjamin is the most interesting wild card prospect to me. I think he's going to shoot up draft boards as we get closer to the draft. He's on Scout Inc. at 25 now. He fits that 'beast' description that most people seem obsessed with, 6'5, 235 and a huge wingspan. Haven't seen or read enough about him to comment on his speed. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. I can't see him staying in school because of his age. I would say he might follow a Demaryious Thomas arc, raw but full of talent.