Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Scaggsville, MD
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin



    Sadly, I think this line of thinking is correct. We're much more likely to deal down out of the first to stockpile picks. With the financial investment in Flacco, having low-cost guys for roster spots becomes more important.

    We may be looking at another no-first year.

    I am rooting 100% for us to make the playoffs, but for the long-term health of the franchise, going 5-11 or 6-10 might have been better.




  2. #17

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Agree on Evans and Watkins both being gone likely in the top 12. If we're picking in the mid to late 20's and Lee is there, he's a good candidate for the pick, depending on the BPA situation. Otherwise if it were me, I would be trying really hard to trade down.

    If we can swing a trade to get down into the top 10 of the 2nd for a team who wants to move up for a QB, I would love to get some more picks to replace the 4th and 5th sent in the Monroe trade... and then take Brandin Cooks in the top of the 2nd.
    I'm not as high on Cooks as you are, but I agree with the trade down scenario depending on what else is on the board.

    Maybe ASF is a candidate there?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm not as high on Cooks as you are, but I agree with the trade down scenario depending on what else is on the board.

    Maybe ASF is a candidate there?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Cooks is in that Antonio Brown/Wes Welker mold. More quick than fast, good route runner, consistent hands and nice YAC ability.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #19

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm not as high on Cooks as you are, but I agree with the trade down scenario depending on what else is on the board.

    Maybe ASF is a candidate there?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    He would also be an excellent pick in that spot. We can debate who we like in the spot, but I think it's a nice range to pick up a pass-catcher. You could also go for a Davante Adams or Allen Robinson.

    The more I think about it, the more I think a trade down out of the 1st is very likely. I'm sure Ozzie is itching to find a way to get more picks... not having a 4th and 5th is probably eating at him.

    Some team is going to fall in love with somebody who slides down into the 20's. It happens every year. I just hope we're the beneficiary again this year... might even be a QB like last time (not that that worked out well for the Broncos!)




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    I think this draft will be a great opportunity to trade down. Maybe multiple times like the Pats like to do.

    There are at least 6 or 7 quarterbacks that could legitimately be first rounders.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Jace Amaro is really growing on me. If he runs well, he could be a great pick. He isn't really a TE at all. He is a 6'6" 255lb receiver.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #22

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    I don't see the Antonio Brown comparison at all with Watkins. Watkins is significantly bigger (at least 3" and 20 pounds) and more physical. A faster Hakeem Nicks seems right to me. Historically, he looks a lot like Tim Brown

    Evans is a real wild card. He's a bit of a long-strider and is rail thin, so I think his combine/pro day works outs will affect him as much as any WR prospect. His ability to separate coverage is the concern.

    I'd probably rank my top 5:

    Watkins
    Lee
    Evans
    Matthews
    Beckham

    Benjamin, Robinson, Adams, an Richardson would be in the next tier.

    Cody Hoffman and Jeremy Gallon are my mid-late round guys, and I like Alex Amidon, Michael Campanaro, Trey Burton, Kenny Shaw, and Solomon Patton for late round/UDFA consideration.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I don't see the Antonio Brown comparison at all with Watkins. Watkins is significantly bigger (at least 3" and 20 pounds) and more physical. A faster Hakeem Nicks seems right to me. Historically, he looks a lot like Tim Brown

    Evans is a real wild card. He's a bit of a long-strider and is rail thin, so I think his combine/pro day works outs will affect him as much as any WR prospect. His ability to separate coverage is the concern.

    I'd probably rank my top 5:

    Watkins
    Lee
    Evans
    Matthews
    Beckham

    Benjamin, Robinson, Adams, an Richardson would be in the next tier.

    Cody Hoffman and Jeremy Gallon are my mid-late round guys, and I like Alex Amidon, Michael Campanaro, Trey Burton, Kenny Shaw, and Solomon Patton for late round/UDFA consideration.
    Ted Gin Jr was listed at 6' 195lbs at Ohio State. He measured in at barely 5'11" and about 185-190lbs.

    Colleges are the biggest culprits for juking a player's physical attributes WAY up.

    Michael Crabtree is another great example. Texas Tech had him listed at 6'3" and 215lbs or so. He measured in at barely over 6'1".

    Watkins is a great player, but odds are Clemson is being a little generous regarding his size. I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins actually measures in at 5'11" and in the 190's.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #24

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Kelvin Benjamin is the most interesting wild card prospect to me. I think he's going to shoot up draft boards as we get closer to the draft. He's on Scout Inc. at 25 now. He fits that 'beast' description that most people seem obsessed with, 6'5, 235 and a huge wingspan. Haven't seen or read enough about him to comment on his speed. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. I can't see him staying in school because of his age. I would say he might follow a Demaryious Thomas arc, raw but full of talent.




  10. #25

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Kelvin Benjamin is the most interesting wild card prospect to me. I think he's going to shoot up draft boards as we get closer to the draft. He's on Scout Inc. at 25 now. He fits that 'beast' description that most people seem obsessed with, 6'5, 235 and a huge wingspan. Haven't seen or read enough about him to comment on his speed. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. I can't see him staying in school because of his age. I would say he might follow a Demaryious Thomas arc, raw but full of talent.
    This is what I feel about him too. Regarding his speed, it's legit; probably at least mid 4.4. Enough to guarantee being selected in the first round if he declares. When you are that big, that fast, and finish a season like he is (9 TDs in 5 games) you will be selected in the first round.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,167
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Count me in on the Benjamin train. His leaping ability looks ridiculous.




  12. #27

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ted Gin Jr was listed at 6' 195lbs at Ohio State. He measured in at barely 5'11" and about 185-190lbs.

    Colleges are the biggest culprits for juking a player's physical attributes WAY up.

    Michael Crabtree is another great example. Texas Tech had him listed at 6'3" and 215lbs or so. He measured in at barely over 6'1".

    Watkins is a great player, but odds are Clemson is being a little generous regarding his size. I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins actually measures in at 5'11" and in the 190's.
    DeAndre Hopkins was listed 6'1", 205 by Clemson and measured 6'1", 214 at the combine. That's by FAR the most relevant example.

    FWIW, a picture from some Blitnekoff festivities:

    WRs.jpg




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    DeAndre Hopkins was listed 6'1", 205 by Clemson and measured 6'1", 214 at the combine. That's by FAR the most relevant example.

    FWIW, a picture from some Blitnekoff festivities:

    WRs.jpg
    Fair enough.

    Listen man, I know you're a huge Clemson can and I think Sammy Watkins is bad ass. I'd love to see him in black-n-purp. Don't take my comments as I'm not a fan.

    I REALLY wanted Nuk last year. I think he'd be a perfect compliment in this offense.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  14. #29

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Fair enough.

    Listen man, I know you're a huge Clemson can and I think Sammy Watkins is bad ass. I'd love to see him in black-n-purp. Don't take my comments as I'm not a fan.

    I REALLY wanted Nuk last year. I think he'd be a perfect compliment in this offense.
    Tapatalk
    No offense taken, and I wasn't trying to come off as defensive or confrontational. Just a difference of opinion on a comparable. Trust me when I say that there's little chance the guy weighs in at under 200 (and very unlikely he's under 6'0") short of coming down with mono or losing a limb. Sammy's jacked. And I try not to let my bias enter my evaluation of Clemson guys. If Martavis Bryant enters the draft, for example, I wouldn't want the Ravens to touch him before round 7. He's got insane measurables, but he's an incredibly unnatural receiver with suspect hands and coachability issues. The only likely draft entrant from Clemson that I'd condone the Ravens drafting would be Vic Beasley, and only if he falls.

    I really don't expect Watkins to get anywhere close to the Ravens, so there's no getting my hopes up. I'll just be pissed if we don't go WR early. There's about 6-7 guys in the 1st two rounds that could have a huge impact on the offense.




  15. #30

    Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    I don't see 4.4 speed with Benjamin at all...I'd be stunned if he runs that fast.

    I think he is a high 4.5, low 4.6 guy.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland