Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think Evans or Benjamin has more potential than Watkins at all.

I think some of you are really underestimating Watkins...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I realize that Watkins has a lot of potential, but I'm watching some of his film and he's getting some huge cushions, not having to fight through close coverage, he hasn't faced much press at all (and struggled a little when he faced some in the Virginia game), and a huge amount of his receptions came off screens. I'm not saying I like the guy, but in the NFL you are going to be facing guys on par athletically that will press you with no fear. I'm just not sure if Watkins has the ability to be consistently beat those guys off the press and beat the new breed of long corners on the jump ball. I still view him as a first round pick, but if I am drafting a WR in the first round, I would want a guy with size who has shown he can make a play for my quarterback on a broken play jump ball, and be a beast in the red zone

Alas the praise for Watkins here is moot. He's not dropping down to us.

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    I realize that Watkins has a lot of potential, but I'm watching some of his film and he's getting some huge cushions, not having to fight through close coverage, he hasn't faced much press at all (and struggled a little when he faced some in the Virginia game), and a huge amount of his receptions came off screens. I'm not saying I like the guy, but in the NFL you are going to be facing guys on par athletically that will press you with no fear. I'm just not sure if Watkins has the ability to be consistently beat those guys off the press and beat the new breed of long corners on the jump ball. I still view him as a first round pick, but if I am drafting a WR in the first round, I would want a guy with size who has shown he can make a play for my quarterback on a broken play jump ball, and be a beast in the red zone
    Those same questions are for all recievers.

In regards to Evans, almost all his big plays and a Ron of his receptions come out of scramble drills where JFF is holding the ball running around for 5-6 seconds.

And no way in hell is Mark Clayton the same type of prospect as Watkins...Watkins is significantly bigger, faster, wins jump balls and is way more explosive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yeah just having a little trouble coming up with a comparison. The guy to me is a top-15 player, but if I were starting a team, I want my number 1 wide receiver to be 6'3" and 220. That's just me. The guy is still going to be a really great player. Has awesome hands too. But in terms of a comparison who would you guys say? My best thought was Antonio Brown, but yeah he is smaller. I mean maybe DHB when he came out except a lot more polished and a better football player.

Marquise lee is the best wideout we will have a shot at. He's my number two just because he's one of maybe three players that are pro ready at the position re route running, technique and ability to get open and create a window.

That's what we need more than a size weight speed specimen.

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    Yeah just having a little trouble coming up with a comparison. The guy to me is a top-15 player, but if I were starting a team, I want my number 1 wide receiver to be 6'3" and 220. That's just me. The guy is still going to be a really great player. Has awesome hands too. But in terms of a comparison who would you guys say? My best thought was Antonio Brown, but yeah he is smaller. I mean maybe DHB when he came out except a lot more polished and a better football player.
    why does he have to be compared to anyone

Comparison?

I think he is more of a Torrey Holt with better jump ball skills.

Watkins may be 6-1, but he plays a lot bigger than that size.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Agreed. Give me pro-ready route running, quickness, and football IQ over height-weight-speed any day of the week. The vast majority of receivers that bust are guys who have great measurables but lack NFL type technique and experience. I don't really think Evans is going to bust, but the possibility is way higher. Watkins is already an NFL caliber route runner and wide receiver. Evans on the other hand is a huge, fast guy that can jump and catch the football well. One guy is a receiver and the other guy is an athlete, albeit a very good one.

If I'm an NFL scout I'm also pretty concerned about Evans in TAMU's offense. Basically they run 100% "sandlot spread" football with virtually no pro route tree or play concepts. Sometimes guys like that (Demaryius Thomas) work out, but sometimes they don't (Stephen Hill.) IMO I just don't want to take the risk, so give me a pro-style guy instead any day of the week.
    I agree with this.

However, sometimes you have to take a chance on a guy who might be a little raw. Though, I think the best way to do that is to ensure they aren't a super high draft pick. I think the Chargers taking Keenan Allen last year when they did was a good example of a good "risk" with taking a raw player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Marquise lee is the best wideout we will have a shot at. He's my number two just because he's one of maybe three players that are pro ready at the position re route running, technique and ability to get open and create a window.

That's what we need more than a size weight speed specimen.
    Assuming his health checks out, I'd be ecstatic with Lee. He's got DeSean Jackson-caliber elusiveness. Lee probably doesn't have the same kind of top-end speed, but he's thicker and has more natural hands.

All in all a ebron amaro or asj opposite pitta might be more helpful. 2 te 2 wr sets have to be the most difficult offense to play against. You then could maybe dip into the second tier or wideouts in rounds 2 or 3

Blog Entries

I'm all about Watkins or Evans, but unless we lose out we don't stand a chance of getting either, and even then may need to trade up (or will definitely need to in Watkins case). Given that, It would be either Lee or a top TE, Amaro or Ebron.