Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

Had some time because of a snow day at college, so I put this together. These right now are my favorite wide outs in the draft and the most discussed on here.

Mike Evans vs. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas
    Pros:
    • Grown man out there, knows how to use his body. Body NFL ready.
    • Can snatch jump balls like no one else in the draft. Extremely strong hands. Doesn't catch with his body.
    • Deceptive speed. Guy rarely gets caught but because of long strides looks slower than really is.
    • Underrated route running. Uses change of speed well, uses hands well, sets up defenders
    • Gets off press with ease
    • Adjusts to scrambling quarterback well
    • Shows flashes of being able to find holes in zones

Cons:
    • Not elite speed. Not a burner.
    • Limited route tree
    • Will need to show the ability to have the acceleration to separate on complex routes
    • Disappears at times

NFL comparison: Alshon Jeffrey

Sammy Watkins vs. Georgia, NC State, Virginia, Maryland
    Pros:
    • Elite speed, elite deep threat. Intimidation factor, commands attention, given cushion
    • Smooth route runner, adept at finding holes in zones
    • Great YAC ability, a true playmaker
    • Versatility. Can be played outside, in the slot, kickoffs, end arounds, screens
    • Good hands catcher

Cons:
    • Can he beat press coverage?
    • Not a real threat for jump balls
    • Can he consistently make contested catches with GOOD coverage (couple plays in Virginia game) Rarely saw tight coverage

NFL comparison: Antonio Brown

One question I have is if he can produce big numbers in an offense like the Ravens where here is not given screens often and the ball not manufactured in his hands. Would perform probably best in a spread offense

Kelvin Benjamin vs. Florida and Boston College

Pros:
    • Amazing size-speed ratio. Got a ridiculous body frame at 6’5” 235 with top flight speed. Able to run by guys and out-muscle for the ball
    • Highest potential of any WR in this draft. Elite talent.
    • Great use of hands to get off press. Has a similar swim move to get off the press to Keenan Allen (as shown in Redskins game against Amerson) Shows flashes of savvy with using hands in routes
    • Shows ability to make catches in traffic in tough coverage

Cons:
    • Needs to show the ability to snatch the ball away from his body
    • Concentration drops
    • Need to show more effort at times coming back for the ball to help his quarterback and blocking
    • Needs to use size more effectively
    • RAW – This kid needs to work on his route running, but kid could be the next Calvin Johnson. Could even be converted to a Jimmy Graham type player if he gets a little bigger.
    • Limited route tree, didn’t see any complex routes.

NFL Comparison:
    Demaryius Thomas

Love this guy’s potential, but the one thing that really scares me he doesn’t seem like a natural hands catcher, and hasn’t shown the ability to pluck the ball out of the air with his hands like Evans.

So right now if all three were available and I was Ozzie, I would take Evans with Sammy as my #2 and Benjamin at #3. Benjamin is the wild card though. First of all, he might not declare. But if he does and has a big national championship and blows up the combine (like I think he will) he could shoot up the board.

Blog Entries

Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

I think Watkins and Evans go in the top 12. Unless we trade up and give up a chunk, this isn't happening, and Ozzie has not done something like that for quite some time. To me, Benjamin is a 2nd round prospect, I wouldn't take him in the first, too raw.

I think we should be looking at Stephen Tuitt as a first rd possibility, Haha Clinton Dix, CJ Moseley, or one of the OT prospects, like Hurst.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think Watkins and Evans go in the top 12. Unless we trade up and give up a chunk, this isn't happening, and Ozzie has not done something like that for quite some time. To me, Benjamin is a 2nd round prospect, I wouldn't take him in the first, too raw.

I think we should be looking at Stephen Tuitt as a first rd possibility, Haha Clinton Dix, CJ Moseley, or one of the OT prospects, like Hurst.
    Well here's the thing with Evans and Benjamin, there draft stock could depend a lot on that 40. I expect Evans to run in the 4.5s which would keep him in your current projection. However, if he runs in the 4.6s he could fall farther down the 1st round.

On the other side of that, if Kelvin Benjamin runs in the high 4.3 low 4.4 range then I think he goes in the 1st. The most recent comparison is Stephen Hill who almost went in the 1st. Some people on this board wanted him there. Benjamin though is an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier than Hill and is better. Plus, the guy has been really improving late in the season. He has 9 TDs in his last 5 games and 2 straight 100 yard games.

Blog Entries

I think Mike Evans is the best WR prospect in this draft. When you compare everything, I think Evans has the best potential to become an elite receiver very quickly. Julio Jones had a lot of the same knocks coming out of Alabama a few years ago and he is just an absolute force on the field. I don't think Evans has Julio's speed, but he might. Julio wasn't a speedster at 'Bama.

My thoughts on Evans aren't a knock on Watkins either. He is also very good, but I think he just doesn't have the upside that Julio does. I mean, you compare him to Antonio Brown and I think that is a fair comparison.

I like Kelvin Benjamin a lot, but someone is going to overdraft him big time. It could workout, but it depends on where he goes and how he is utilized.

I also think Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson need to be discussed as potential late round 1 receivers. Both could be good fits in Baltimore.

All in all, I definitely agree that WR should be a big goal for the Ravens during the off-season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

1) Mike Evans
    2) Sammy Watkins
    3) Marquise Lee
    4) Paul Robinson
    5) Kelvin Benjamin

Evans over Watkins for our team because Evans is a big contrast to Torrey while Watkins isn't. I can imagine other teams going the other way. Benjamin is a possibility if we don't go WR in round 1. And the thing is if we make the playoffs we may be positioned too low to pick either Evans or Watkins. In that case I'd gladly pick Lee or Robinson. Either one honestly.

Benjamin is a possibility in round 2 but so is Richardson from Colorado in round 3.

Of course we may go a completely different direction and not pick a WR in either of the 1st two rounds, but we all know that.

I have no idea why people use Torrey as a reason to not have Sammy Watkins number 1.

Especially considering we already have 6-5 and 6-4 possession guys and will be losing Jacoby in all likelyhood, and Deonte will be in a battle to just make the team.

We may only wind up with Torrey as a speed guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I have no idea why people use Torrey as a reason to not have Sammy Watkins number 1.

Especially considering we already have 6-5 and 6-4 possession guys and will be losing Jacoby in all likelyhood, and Deonte will be in a battle to just make the team.

We may only wind up with Torrey as a speed guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    This is a good point.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Marquise lee for me. Purely on route running and knack for getting open. Pitta comes back and gets open, Flacco finally has easy passes. We need someone that can get open consistently. That for me is lee.

Blog Entries

It depends on the system the Ravens are going to run. If they keep Cameron's system, it will be very important to have two burners on the outside. Even if Jacoby is brought back, who else behind him and Torrey could fill that role? If they switch systems, it could get interesting.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I want Mike Evans, but I'd rather get Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan if we can. Yes, I want a first-round WR talent, but I think we'd be better served by improving the pass blocking and giving Joe and the WRs time to create a play. If possible, I'd like to see us do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    I want Mike Evans, but I'd rather get Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan if we can. Yes, I want a first-round WR talent, but I think we'd be better served by improving the pass blocking and giving Joe and the WRs time to create a play. If possible, I'd like to see us do both.
    I agree especially with this being such a deep receiving class. I think either DL or OL need to be addressed in the first

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Both those guys will likely be top 10 picks.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.