Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

This is a Dean Pees "WTF ARE YOU DOING!" thread

Can anybody enlighten me as to how the Vikings scored the way they did? Where was the defense? How does this Ravens defense "open up" so consistently in the 4th-quarter of tight games?

He should certainly be on the hot seat IMO!

Blog Entries

Re: This is a Dean Pees "WTF ARE YOU DOING!" thread

At the end of the game during the broadcast Tim Ryan mentioned that Steve Spagnolo the Ravens defensive consultant, whatever that is, was nervous after the Jacoby return. He was in the booth next to Ryan and could be heard. Turned out he was right to be scared. Makes you wonder what Spags knew that we don't

This is a Dean Pees "WTF ARE YOU DOING!" thread

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Can anybody enlighten me as to how the Vikings scored the way they did? Where was the defense? How does this Ravens defense "open up" so consistently in the 4th-quarter of tight games?
    The defense has not been able to get off the field in clutch situations for most of the season. Today was just another example. We got luck that a 2 point conversion was dropped last week. That would have added to our impressive resume of not being to get off the field

Blog Entries

Pees is truly an awful defensive coordinator. The sooner they get rid of him the better. They have a replacement in house to finish the year in Spagnuolo.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Last year the Ravens fired Cam Cameron on Dec. 10. We know how that turned out. Given the inexcusable performance in the fourth quarter, Harbaugh has to be thinking a move might have a similar effect. It's that time of year!

The fact that teams play so well against the Ravens D in the 4th quarter makes me think that other teams are outscheming Pees. He can't figure out how to respond to the adjustments.

Blog Entries

I'd have to watch both plays back, but my initial assessment is "missed tackles".

On Gerhart's TD run, they highlighted both Brown and Suggs rushing, then trying to turn back upfield on the run. Elam and Ihedigbo (i think) ran into each other trying to make a sandwich tackle and failed to bring him down.

On the Patterson screen, we had plenty of guys have opportunities. Elam was the deep guy but got totally spun around and slipped. He would've had a tough time tackling him 1 on 1, but he could've slowed him down enough to make it tight, but he totally got deked out.

I won't give Pees a Hall Pass for today, but his D did pretty well for most of the game. People on here scream at him for not blitzing more, but I recall at least one 3rd down play where they sent probably 7-8 rushers and Vikings picked it up easily and got an easy 1st down pickup. Not so sure Spags or Monachino can step in and instantly fix individual lapses, which is what we've seen majority of the time.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Let's take a step back. Pees is not great but he's not horrific either.

The only play he got out thought was the Gerhart TD. I think he honestly felt they were going to pass and was caught in his dime defense with 3 down lineman.

The Patterson TD was all on the players for not breaking down and wrapping up.

I also think this defense is missing leadership. Maybe somebody gathered them after Jacoby's TD but it appeared as if they lose direction late in games.

That has to stop.

As for the Ryan comment about Spags he said that he bet that Spags was nervous and given how piss poor the D played who could blame them.

I was but it was because ST's had almost allowed a run back and they almost did at the end of the game.

Blog Entries

I can't see them firing Pees right now. They'll wait till after the season.

I can't honestly say Spags would be any better though.

I want young, fresh, innovative blood at OC and DC.

I wanted Ted Monachino after Pags left and I still would like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'd have to watch both plays back, but my initial assessment is "missed tackles".

On Gerhart's TD run, they highlighted both Brown and Suggs rushing, then trying to turn back upfield on the run. Elam and Ihedigbo (i think) ran into each other trying to make a sandwich tackle and failed to bring him down.

On the Patterson screen, we had plenty of guys have opportunities. Elam was the deep guy but got totally spun around and slipped. He would've had a tough time tackling him 1 on 1, but he could've slowed him down enough to make it tight, but he totally got deked out.

I won't give Pees a Hall Pass for today, but his D did pretty well for most of the game. People on here scream at him for not blitzing more, but I recall at least one 3rd down play where they sent probably 7-8 rushers and Vikings picked it up easily and got an easy 1st down pickup. Not so sure Spags or Monachino can step in and instantly fix individual lapses, which is what we've seen majority of the time.
    The problem isn't just whether Pees calls blitzes or not. Why do you think Minnesota had such little trouble picking up those blitzes? Because it's so obvious on film study that the defense only has a few pressure calls... if they go to a blitz, it's going to be an ILB up the A gap or occasionally a nickel corner blitz. They don't use any kind of deception or creativity in their pressure calls.

I just don't like how vanilla Pees' schemes are and how little adjusting for the opposition he does. That's why our defense falls apart after halftime so badly... they make no adjustments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The problem isn't just whether Pees calls blitzes or not. Why do you think Minnesota had such little trouble picking up those blitzes? Because it's so obvious on film study that the defense only has a few pressure calls... if they go to a blitz, it's going to be an ILB up the A gap or occasionally a nickel corner blitz. They don't use any kind of deception or creativity in their pressure calls.

I just don't like how vanilla Pees' schemes are and how little adjusting for the opposition he does. That's why our defense falls apart after halftime so badly... they make no adjustments.
    That may be true, but how many DCs in this league have a good reputation of deceptive bliztes? The majority them use sheer strength/discipline to overpower the opponent. That's probably the majority reason why our OL gets killed. There's no deceptive blitz on us, they just beat our guys straight up.

That being said, I would love to see Monachino running this D. I think he's a young, strong defensive mind and I'd love for him to ascend to DC. But I'm not sure if Pees has earned a pink slip yet.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

11. Re: This is a Dean Pees "WTF ARE YOU DOING!" thread

Statistically, the problem this year has been the offense and not the defense. The offense has been starting to pick it up, and the defense had a really bad couple of minutes today, but I can't see firing the defensive coordinator over a defense playing at this level overall in the middle of the season. Maybe in the off-season, but not right now for sure.

My firing list includes the offensive line coach and the run-coordinator, personally.

I also, probably controversially, have wanted the special teams coordinator out for years. He does a good job preparing kickers and kick/punt returners, but we've had some horrendous coverage lapses and no matter how many "special teams aces" we sign, and we seem to sign some new ones almost every single off-season and make final roster cuts that reflect an emphasis on putting the best special teams units on the field we can (Hence Bobby Rainey being cut two years running), our special teams coverage makes has really crucial lapses in crucial games year after year after year. I think it's the coaching. Maybe the current guy could keep the title and work with the kickers and return guys only, and we could sign an "assistant" to work on kick and punt coverage who is really calling the shots.

Blog Entries

I been saying it for a long time now, we need fresh new young creative blood in the coaching ranks at OC and DC, imagine bringing in someone to used all this untapped potential of this team? This defense should be no way having these setbacks like they have been in the 4th quarters of games by the likes of Jason campbell, Josh Mccown, e.j mannuel and matt cassells. This offense though is limited right now talent wise if we had someone who can be creative with Joe and the talent we have we could be seeing a very decent offense and run game.