Thread: Cary Williams

iggyman555 Guest

Cary Williams

he a funny dude

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...t-be-crybabies

Cary Williams to Bruce Arians: 'Let's not be crybabies'

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was openly unhappy with the job done by game officials in the team's Week 13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, going as far to call the league office for an explanation before he even left the locker room Sunday.

Arians told reporters he sent copies of 15 plays to NFL headquarters in New York for review. Eagles cornerback Cary Williams isn't on board with Arians' public effort for clarification.

"Let's not be crybabies, man," Williams said Tuesday, via Philadelphia Magazine. "I thought the refs kept them in the game to some degree at times. But it's football, man. It's about going out there and executing. If they came in here with a different attitude, maybe not so nonchalant, thinking it was going to be a cakewalk. ...

"I'm not big on teams sending stuff in, and 'This is what needs to be called.' Play the game, dude. It's football, man. Either you come in and win or you blame it on the refs. Don't blame it on the refs, blame it on your preparation that week. I've never been a fan of coaches sending stuff into the refs unless it was blatant. To me I didn't think there was anything blatant out on the field."

Arians walks a fine line here, asking his players to move on while publicly seeking explanation for an outcome in the past. He left himself open for the type of criticism dropped by Williams on Tuesday.

Blog Entries

Re: Cary Williams

I watched that game and felt the refs did a good job of letting both teams play. Have to agree with Cary, seems Ariens is crying for not taking advantage of how the game was being called.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I don't think it's unusual for teams to send a play or two to the league and ask for explanations. But 15 plays? And calling the league before he left the locker room? That's pretty much blaming the loss on the refs.

I didn't see the game but I also haven't heard any uproar that officiating was bad

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

If you send in 15 plays, then one or two are bound to be questionable. It seems excessive to me. Why doesn't Arians just send in the whole game tape, and let the NFL go over it play by play? I agree with Cary Wms... Bc

wonder if Arians learned that strategy in Pittsburgh?

wonder if Harbs ever sends tapes like that?

Iggles got good shot at playoffs, so Cary W might get some extended play time. I guess everybody's getting along up there now that they're winning.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

I remember hearing something about Miami sending tape in on the Ravens because they did the same thing N.E. got penalized for on that attempt to block a field goal but didn't call it on us.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I watched that game and felt the refs did a good job of letting both teams play. Have to agree with Cary, seems Ariens is crying for not taking advantage of how the game was being called.
    I disagree, the officiating was horrid.

I also don't have a problem with team sending in plays for review. How else can the refs be held up to a quality standard/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I also don't have a problem with team sending in plays for review. How else can the refs be held up to a quality standard/
    I can see both sides of this issue, because most flags are judgment calls. What's PI to one official is good defense by another. Football isn't like baseball, where you can see fair of foul. It is a nuanced game where the ref's conception prevails. IMO no matter how many rules changes or classes the NFL has for officials, there will always be a gray area when it comes to decisions on the field. Just look at what happened with JJ/Tomlin for instance. The week before a Jets coach was flagged for being in the White Area, and MT got a pass. AND don't get me into the "holding" issue either... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post

not being called properly or not being called fairly? week to week the games are called different as to what is or isnt a penalty. we can complain about it, but as long as its not unfairly towards one team or the other its all you can really ask for. I dont think they were unfair, Arizona just didnt take advantage of it as much as philadelphia, but thats on them. You have to play by the rules, but the rules are being enforced by the refs so you have to play by how theyre calling the game.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    not being called properly or not being called fairly? week to week the games are called different as to what is or isnt a penalty. we can complain about it, but as long as its not unfairly towards one team or the other its all you can really ask for. I dont think they were unfair, Arizona just didnt take advantage of it as much as philadelphia, but thats on them. You have to play by the rules, but the rules are being enforced by the refs so you have to play by how theyre calling the game.
    I can still see why, even with the way you describe it, a team would want to alert the league. Just because a game is called differently week to week does not mean it should be tolerated. Actually, I think that would irk me more because one week something is a penalty and the following week it is not a penalty.
    Even if the calls were 50/50 bad for both teams, that does not mean either should not send in examples of plays where the officials got it wrong.
    BTW, I think the calls went a little more in the Eagles favor, but I do not think it cost the Cardinals the games. They lost it on their own mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    wonder if Harbs ever sends tapes like that?
    Sure he does. I recall the Ravens sending in tape on Michael Oher a couple years back showing he was just quick off the ball and not moving early. No coincidence that his illegal procedure penalties dropped closely after that. Every team sends in plays they want a explanation for - but 15 for one game is a bit excessive.