Thread: Todd Haley

Todd Haley

I never liked him as a HC, bu I have to begrudgingly admit that he did a very good job against us last night. He threw a lot of imaginative plays at us, and in the second half had our secondary confused. Of course it helps that the Steelers have a functioning TE (boy do we miss Dennis) but even so, he seemed to have something new up his sleeve at critical times.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Re: Todd Haley

You want to know the ironic thing? I heard an interview with Josh Miller of Pittsburgh Sports Talk now, and he was asked about the improvement in offense, and basically, they gave Ben the reigns on offense. Haley doesn't call many of the plays now, so Ben calls his own plays and goes no huddle. That thing may have saved Haley his job, because if the system is working, it's still his system, just with Ben running it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

It is a combo of Haley and Roethlisberger. There were several times where we telegraphed a blitz, Roethlisberger saw it and simply threw to the hot read. When that happens routinely, it is hard to fault Pees for getting squeamish about blitzing. Same with the screens called by Haley. They know we are going to be rushing hard, they purposely line up without having a chipper or protection-man (back) to help out their cast-off LT against Suggs, they know Suggs is salivating and will come hard for a sack, they welcome it, allow him to penetrate and dump it over the top to a back with two OL fanning out to block. Result: huge gain.

Haley and Roethlisberger definitely were out-thinking our defense.

That said, our standard pass rush and rushers did not get it done. More than a few of the completions were simply a result of the secondary being asked to cover for too long. Like the TD to the back of the endzone where Daryl Smith lost the man in his zone. Too much time.

So we had a dilemma of "can't get enough pass rush without blitzing" and "every time we blitz they abuse it with adjustments." It wasn't pretty.

iggyman555 Guest

during the game they said that ben calls a lot of his own plays and even tells haley to shut up so he has more time to see and diagnose the play LOL

Yeah, I'm not buying the idea that Haley is a big plus for their offense. Ben shines brightest when he 1) makes quick throws to receivers that are on the same page (the final TD), or 2) the pocket breaks down, guys are covered for a while, and he buys enough time for them to break coverage (e.g. the first TD).

Well whoever drew up that screen they ran at the end knew what they were doing-- unless Ben designs the plays, he can't take credit for that.

If it was Ben's decision to go after Chykee, that didn't work out that well either.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Well whoever drew up that screen they ran at the end knew what they were doing-- unless Ben designs the plays, he can't take credit for that.

If it was Ben's decision to go after Chykee, that didn't work out that well either.
    I'm surprised they didn't just run the exact same play they ran before honestly.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

It sure looked to me like both QBs were running the show and calling plays at the line.

Keep Flacco in the no huddle and let him survey the defense and make the call

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Haley
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    during the game they said that ben calls a lot of his own plays and even tells haley to shut up so he has more time to see and diagnose the play LOL
    Yeah I heard that too. Haley is barely on life support in Pitt. He and Ben have been at odds since he got there, and now it appears he is just a figure head.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

You'd never guess if you asked a Steelers fan they've wanted his head for the past two years.