Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How about this for an idea - lets replace Rice in the backfield with Tyrod Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The Wildcat is not an NFL-caliber offensive scheme. You might get a few plays out of it now and again, but it's not a component of a successful offense; it's a component of a desperate offense that can't play at an NFL level.

Tyrod ended up with 4 carries for 7 yards. SEVEN. Yes, he had a 17 yard run and a 3 yard carry for a 1st down, but he also had carries for -6 and -7 yards. He also did nothing to spark the conventional run game: carries went for 1, 0, 5, and 4 yards, average of 2.75 YPC.
    This.

As bad as the running game has been, the idea that Tyrod could do better than Rice or Pierce on a consistent basis is a little silly, IMO. He's a QB, not a RB, and while he's mobile, running as a QB is a different beast. He definetly won't be able to run up the middle like you said, and it's doubtful that he can block. I think it's a good idea to get him involved in the offense for a handful of plays per game, but like we saw on Sunday, NFL defenses tend to snuff out the gadget plays if they're used too much.

On another note, what happens if he's injured? Who do the Ravens turn to then if Flacco gets hurt? With how much he's getting battered in many of these games, it's pretty vital that the Ravens have a viable back-up QB to turn to.

2. Re: How about this for an idea - lets replace Rice in the backfield with Tyrod Taylor

As much as I love RR I think it's time to give Pierce the start or at least as many carries. I know that Harbs won't do that, Ray seems to be one of his favorite players and Harbs has always shown loyalty to the veterans. Pierce hasn't been great either, but he seems to be a bit quicker to the hole and can at least break some tackles which Rice has shown no ability to do this year. The thing that bums me out about Pierce is he's always slow to get up and always looks hobbled when he does. I know our O line sucks and our scheme doesn't seem to be working but at the same time it makes you wonder if a faster and stronger back would have a little more success. It was a fun watching the Broncos Moreno shred the Pats. He looked faster and more decisive than either of our guys and their O line was kicking ass. The dude also ran with serious attitude bouncing up after big hits, our guys on the other hand just look flat out defeated - defenses definitely feed off the bad body language.

Re: How about this for an idea - lets replace Rice in the backfield with Tyrod Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Reminds me of this play we used to run in my Navy flag football team.

We had two QBs, myself and another guy.

Both of us would line up in the backfield beside each other, call plays at the line of scrimmage, and act like we were both getting the shot gun snap. It worked really well and the point was to confuse the D because I had a better arm, but he was super fast. Two totally different players.

Then again, this is the NFL...not flag football.
    Interesting point here (which I agree with). Misinformation strategy just like in the military. As someone suggested in this and another thread perhaps the Ravens should include TT more. It would create some level of confusion and also if included more, opposing D would not know if Taylor would actually be involved in the play or was merely a distraction.

I like the idea and think the Ravens should explore it further.

Blog Entries

I'm not opposed to putting Tyrod out as a RB or WR and sometimes doing designed plays to him. Having him in the backfield with Joe can create some REAL matchup issues, because it opens up a direct snap to TT, where the D would need to be prepared for Joe throwing the ball as well. And, I'd be okay with Tyrod occasionally throwing a short pass to keep the idea of him throwing instead of just running it in the D's head.

With the Wildcat, it takes the threat of a downfield pass almost completely out of it, save for maybe a screen to Joe, who then is unblocked singled on a DB trying to pass. 95% of the time with Wildcat, it's a run play. Then the question is, who's running it (read-option).

The other thing is, don't always give the ball to Tyrod when he's on the field. Another reason the Jets sniffed out our TT plays. EVERY time he was on the field, he was either getting the run, doing a read-option, or out trying to run a screen type pass. They knew to key up on him EVERY SINGLE TIME, because we never used him as a distraction.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Asinine. He is not even dressed to take a pounding like an RB takes.

I would submit that "asinine" is having your $120 Million quarterback standing out there at split end with his hand in his pockets waiting for his team to put him in a 3rd and long hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Asinine. He is not even dressed to take a pounding like an RB takes.

Blog Entries

Cody can play fullback to lead the way

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If the Ravens could RUN (which they can't) there would be no reason to hold this discussion. But since the line can't run block, and since Ray Rice can't run, and since Caldwell and company can't produce a run game - I think its entirely appropriate and an effective use of the Raven's talent to have their $120 Million quarterback standing 20 yards to the left of center with his hands in his pocket. Maybe putting Cody in there to block wouldn't be a bad idea afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Cody can play fullback to lead the way

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    If the Ravens could RUN (which they can't) there would be no reason to hold this discussion. But since the line can't run block, and since Ray Rice can't run, and since Caldwell and company can't produce a run game - I think its entirely appropriate and an effective use of the Raven's talent to have their $120 Million quarterback standing 20 yards to the left of center with his hands in his pocket. Maybe putting Cody in there to block wouldn't be a bad idea afterall.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    I would submit that "asinine" is having your $120 Million quarterback standing out there at split end with his hand in his pockets waiting for his team to put him in a 3rd and long hole.
    I agree with that too, but Joe isn't going to be doing anything out there and QB's at least get more protection from the rules than a runner. Tyrod could get killed at RB.

Let's see - its OK to get Joe killed behind an offensive line that can't pass protect running long developing plays called in by the offensive coordinator - but God forbid we try something innovative like putting Tyrod in the same backfield as Joe - because Tyrod might be killed. If one of those two guys is going to get killed, guess which one I'm nominating!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I agree with that too, but Joe isn't going to be doing anything out there and QB's at least get more protection from the rules than a runner. Tyrod could get killed at RB.