Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

On To Pittsburgh

It turns out this game is huge. There's no time to celebrate the Jets win as Thanksgiving will be here before you know it. If the Ravens can pull this off at home the playoff talk is for real.

They just said on Football Night In America that the Titans own the 6th seed. It doesn't matter though. The Ravens need this win and again Pittsburgh is in the way!
    Last edited by ERey; 11-24-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Re: On To Pittsburgh

In the first loss their inability to stop those trick run plays and being on the road seemed to be the biggest determining factor in a close loss. I have a lot more faith in them being at home and being more prepared for the wildcat (and the possibility of Pitta being back).

Blog Entries

One TD by the Ravens offense is not likely to do it. Pitt's offense has been playing well of late.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If we can't score more than two offensive touchdowns we won't pull out a win. I don't feel like seeing all the familiar "defense holds its own for 3+ quarters while the offense struggles to put put up a touchdown and a handful of FGs on the board leaving the defense to become clutch against a clutch QB like Ben" type game. Got that all? LOL
    Today's game was looking a little like that until Joe's 66 yarder to Jacoby. Gave us some breathing room. Something we haven't been able to enjoy for a while.

It's kind of funny -- the arc that's taken us to this game. At the beginning of the year I thought this would be a great primetime matchup, but then we got off to a rough start and Pittsburgh began 0-4 and I figured it would be a snoozer for most of the country. Yet here we are and the game has bigger repercussions than I would have thought before the year started.

The Steelers are on a little bit of a roll winning 5 of the last 7 so anything short of our A game won't get it done I'm thinking. Even though they don't have their traditionally good run defense, I still would like us to keep Ray Rice handoffs to a minimum. What they did today with Tyrod was nice, although they started to overuse it a bit. With four days to prepare, Pittsburgh might not have time to prep for the wildcat stuff we've shown off (or maybe it'll be a distraction?)

Our defense has definitely come together as of late but we need Suggs and Dumervil to wake up a little and have a big game. I expect another 3 point heart attack game.

It was nice to end a game safely ahead, hope to see that again on Thursday but I wouldn't bet on it. A win will set things up for a spot in the playoffs. They would go ahead of the Titans for the #6 spot even if the Titans win next week with a better conference and division record. After that, I'll be interested in the Chargers and the Bengals game. Either one of them losing helps. If the Bengals lose the division may be decided on the last game of the season.

It doesn't get any better than Ravens/Steelers when there is something on the line for both teams. Should be a playoff atmosphere at the vault.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    They just said on Football Night In America that the Titans own the 6th seed.
    If you run the numbers right now based on the tiebreakers, that's true. Remember that you start by eliminating teams within divisions until only one (at most) is left in each division, & that once you eliminate one or more teams in a tiebreaking step, you start the process all over with the remaining teams.

So: there are 6 teams tied at 5-6: Bolts, Titans, Crows, Stealers, Fins, Jets.
    • PGH beats out BAL in AFCN on head-to-head (1-0);
    • NYJ beat out MIA in AFCE on division record (2-2 vs 0-2);
    • Remaining teams (PGH, NYJ, SD and TEN) have no common head to head so it goes to AFC records, with PGH 4-4, NYJ 2-6, SD 3-5, TEN 4-4, so SD & NYJ are eliminated;
    • PGH & TEN remain, but TEN defeated PGH in week 1 (!) so TEN is at the moment the #6 seed.

It doesn't matter though. The Ravens need this win and again Pittsburgh is in the way!
    It doesn't matter because the eventual #6 seed will be determined in great part by games left to be played. PGH is particularly in the way because they currently hold a number of important tiebreakers vs the Ravens. There are a few ways to finesse that even if the teams are tied in the standings, but they all require the Crows to win next Thursday night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    If you run the numbers right now based on the tiebreakers, that's true. Remember that you start by eliminating teams within divisions until only one (at most) is left in each division, & that once you eliminate one or more teams in a tiebreaking step, you start the process all over with the remaining teams.

So: there are 6 teams tied at 5-6: Bolts, Titans, Crows, Stealers, Fins, Jets.
    • PGH beats out BAL in AFCN on head-to-head (1-0);
    • NYJ beat out MIA in AFCE on division record (2-2 vs 0-2);
    • Remaining teams (PGH, NYJ, SD and TEN) have no common head to head so it goes to AFC records, with PGH 4-4, NYJ 2-6, SD 3-5, TEN 4-4, so SD & NYJ are eliminated;
    • PGH & TEN remain, but TEN defeated PGH in week 1 (!) so TEN is at the moment the #6 seed.

It doesn't matter because the eventual #6 seed will be determined in great part by games left to be played. PGH is particularly in the way because they currently hold a number of important tiebreakers vs the Ravens. There are a few ways to finesse that even if the teams are tied in the standings, but they all require the Crows to win next Thursday night.
    Nice explanation. The best I've heard. Thanks.

I think the Steelers last three games are a bit hyped. Their offense has played better but they haven't faced a defense as good as the Ravens. Also Detroit moved the ball at will against them and if not for one of the dumbest decisions in the last decade they would've lost.

Honestly if the Ravens don't turn the ball over they'll win. The Steelers defense has given up a lot of yards especially to receivers.

The Ravens know that this is their season and it just so happens to be the Steelers in their way.

Of course just like today the National media (specifically the NFLN) will expect the Steelers to simply come in and collect a routine win as if its their birthright.

It'll be good to send them home with a loss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    I think the Steelers last three games are a bit hyped...
    I don't. Keep in mind they started out 0 - 4, and many teams might have given up. They've now won 5 of their last 7, including 3 in-a-row (Bills 23 - 10; Lions 37 - 27; Browns 27 - 11). I don't care how they did it, it's an impressive comeback for a team that was on life support by the end of September. This is a very dangerous game for the offensively challenged Ravens. Lucky for us they have to travel to Baltimore on a short week... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't. Keep in mind they started out 0 - 4, and many teams might have given up. They've now won 5 of their last 7, including 3 in-a-row (Bills 23 - 10; Lions 37 - 27; Browns 27 - 11). I don't care how they did it, it's an impressive comeback for a team that was on life support by the end of September. This is a very dangerous game for the offensively challenged Ravens. Luck for us they have to travel to Baltimore on a short week... Bc
    I understand where you're coming from but I watched all three games and honestly they didn't show me anything that would suggest they're unbeatable. As a matter of fact Buffalo and Cleveland acted as if this was the 2008 Steelers defense they were facing along with vintage Ben. What has happened though is that Ben is getting the ball out quicker and that Bell is running tough but they like the Ravens are an average team.

The same New England team that's getting throttled tonight hung 55 on them.

The Steelers are playing better but they are very beatable.