Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Flacco's Bad Habit

Here is an article that Tony wrote regarding to Flacco's bad habit:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/flaccos-bad-habit/

We have been arguing ad nausea about the WR corp, and the WR corp is affecting Flacco's play. While I do not deny that, methinks that Flacco's penchant of predetermining his reads probably hurt more than we think.

iggyman555 Guest

Re: Flacco's Bad Habit

lol ive never seen flacco look off a defender, does that ever happen?

iggyman555 Guest

mb we should get a qb coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Here is an article that Tony wrote regarding to Flacco's bad habit:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/flaccos-bad-habit/

We have been arguing ad nausea about the WR corp, and the WR corp is affecting Flacco's play. While I do not deny that, methinks that Flacco's penchant of predetermining his reads probably hurt more than we think.
    Read his article/post. Tried to reply to it there but was bounced out
    (.... that'll happen).

Want to give Joe a shout out for one aspect of his game recently: his willingness to pick up a first down w/ his legs. He's a big strong guy who ran out of the pocket so rarely that defenses didn't even have to think about it. Last few games, he has taken the run when it was given to him. Hell he was the Ravens leading rusher in the [I think] Cleveland game. "That's how QBs get hurt!" cries this and other boards. Not if they slide! Joe even got a nice PF call added to one of his Chicago mudslides. I'm not asking for Cam Newton or RG III, just help us out and take the yards and slide when they present themselves.

At times, he looks like a rookie. That's a big part of the problem.

Blog Entries

it's interesting...early in his career, we lamented his inability to go through his progressions and always go to his #1 option. It seemed like in the last couple years, he worked through his progressions better.

Now, he's back to pushing the ball to a specific read. On the pick 6, that's a play that works probably 95% of the time. A lot of people keep saying you can't put it on Rice, but if Rice makes his block, the defender is engaged and it's likely a 1st down or close if Leach catches it. What I would put on Joe is, when Rice doesn't make his block, abort! Throw it out of bounds, run it, do SOMETHING other than forcing the throw. On the Clark pick, agree 100%, Joe locked in on throwing to Clark and wouldn't be deterred.

IMO, There's nothing wrong with running a play with a pre-determined read, so long as you know when NOT to force it. Another example of the pre-determined reads, to me, was the failed 3rd down to Doss where the ball sort've curved away. It was 3rd and short, and Doss ran a flare while another WR kind've cleared out the DBs for him. He still had one DB on him, but it was a makeable 1st down if the throw worked better.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    mb we should get a qb coach?
    Didn't we originally sign Caldwell for that position? He had Peyton under his wing, now Joe. Flacco did great in last year's playoffs, and with a Super Bowl victory the pressure is off, so I'd think he would improve in 2013. The are many things that factor into this, so perhaps a QB coach isn't out of the question (?) ... Bc

iggyman555 Guest

also for some reason joe rather take a sack or run out of bounds and lose yards instead of throwing the ball away...

Blog Entries

Having a QB coach never hurts, to help drill the fundamentals in. It's human nature for things to slip on occasion. Think about all of those years that Caldwell was Manning's QB coach. Honestly, the years that we've seen Joe have a QB coach are the years he's performed best. 2008, his rookie season, he had Hue Jackson. In 2010, he had Jim Zorn. In 2012, he had Jim Caldwell.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

They are saying the same things about Matt Ryan in Atlanta. I guess Ryan and flacco just happened to regress in the same year? No.

They both have horrible OLs, poor run support and lack of trust in their WRs. Poor OL= rushed throws. Rushed throws = single read. Lack of trust in WRs = lack of chemistry, timing = more INTs.

It really isn't hard to see what is happening. Unless you believe both Ryan and flacco somehow forgot to how to play QB in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    also for some reason joe rather take a sack or run out of bounds and lose yards instead of throwing the ball away...
    Partially true, though I haven't seem him do any boneheaded "run out of bounds 5 yards behind LoS" sacks in awhile. He's trying to be Big Ben, moving around, keeping the play alive sometimes, but generally in those cases, he throws it before getting sacked.

It's a fine line to walk, remember in the SB, he rolled out and almost took a big sack running out of bounds, but threw at the last second to Boldin for a 30 yard gain, amazing play because no one expected it to be a completion, almost looked like he just threw it downfield to get rid of it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    They are saying the same things about Matt Ryan in Atlanta. I guess Ryan and flacco just happened to regress in the same year? No.

They both have horrible OLs, poor run support and lack of trust in their WRs. Poor OL= rushed throws. Rushed throws = single read. Lack of trust in WRs = lack of chemistry, timing = more INTs.

It really isn't hard to see what is happening. Unless you believe both Ryan and flacco somehow forgot to how to play QB in the NFL.
    its ok to criticize your qb LOL

little joey is not perfect