Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who Are the Best Deep Passers in the League? (The Flacco Enigma)

http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart...917039/@kylenw

Deadspin recently posted some charts that show how well the starting QBs in the league fare when they're throwing the ball downfield.

Unsurprisingly, Flacco is near the very top in terms of amount of times he throws the deep ball (4th out of 32). That tends to happen when you have guys like Smith and Jacoby (and, in our better days [sigh] when we had Q and Pitta and even Rice out the backfield opening up things underneath).

But his accuracy/success rate is toward the bottom (25/32) and the yards he's attempted per deep pass is even lower (27/32).

To me this is an indication of three things:

1) Flacco's natural aggressiveness/gunslinger nature/justified confidence in his own arm,

2) the lack of production from our WRs and coaches, because a guy who throws deep that often with two big speed threats in Torrey and Jacoby should have more success than the average team, which rarely has TWO guys who are that fast, and

3) how bad our offensive scheme is. I'm no guru but it seems not a coincidence that the average distance Joe's "deep" balls are going is close to 10. As in, we had probably plowed Rice into a bunch of fat guys' butts twice to give us 3rd and 8, 9, etc.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by akashicrecorder; 11-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh