Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Should Tyrod Taylor be included more often?

I see no reason not to use him in bunch formation packages like the one in which he got his one carry.

Leading up to the game where he got that carry, there was talk on this board about the very subject. I mentioned in that thread that I wasn't so sure Taylor wasn't the best running threat on the team at that point in time (this was before Rice's breakout day on Sunday, and both he and Pierce were looking awful, bad line or not...). Then Taylor gets one carry and shows off his speed and agility.

Say what you want, the guy can move the ball. I still say he can give you one good series a game as QB if push comes to shove; but what I'd rather see is him out there as a WR with the D having to wonder/think account for what he might do. As Joe points out in the article, at the very least, he provides the D with something to think about, game plan for, etc. These types of wrinkles -- which if nothing else force opponents to game plan for things that may or may not actually happen, or which cause a little bit of "paralysis by analysis" on the field -- are what good offensive coordinators do.

In fact, now that I think about it, the point I made in that other thread was that we had seemed to only be able to loosen up gaps in the line when we showed the fake end around motion, which had been showcased a few times in the game prior to the one TT got his carry. Just that little bit of a look was throwing off defenses enough to allow us to break off "unheard of" gains of 5-7 yards, instead of consistent minus-1's.

I see no downside in having Taylor split out as part of a bunch formation 4-5 plays a game. Joe rarely has time to work through all his progressions anyway, so in effect, most WRs are just decoys on most pass plays. How often do we actually target JJ or Deonte?

While we're at it, I could stand to see us get creative getting the ball into Deonte's hands -- if he's as fast as advertised, lets see it. Put a TE out there in the bunch as a perimeter blocker and throw Deonte a frickin smokescreen. Get it to him on a reverse. Fake it to him on a reverse, I don't care. But throw some damn eye candy at the defense to they're not JUST sitting there teeing off on the inevitable run up the middle or pass to the outside.

No.

First the talent is the main reason, second when you only have one backup QB, no reason for any gimmick at that position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I understand that.

He's not being used more for a reason. He ain't that good.

We had this exact same discussion when Troy Smith was here.

I'm ok with one or two change of pace plays, like how he's being used now.

Use him any more than that and it will reek of desperation.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    No.

First the talent is the main reason, second when you only have one backup QB, no reason for any gimmick at that position.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

And hell no. Does Manning come out? Brees? Brady? Rodgers? NO. It is idiotic to say the least with our porous line. He gets hurt, who the fuck is backup then? You don't drop 120$ Million to play a a backup for spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

And hell no. Does Manning come out? Brees? Brady? Rodgers? NO. It is idiotic to say the least with our porous line. He gets hurt, who the f*** is backup then? You don't drop 120$ Million to play a a backup for spark.
    I never said take Joe Flacco out...

I understand that.

He's not being used more for a reason. He ain't that good.

We had this exact same discussion when Troy Smith was here.

I'm ok with one or two change of pace plays, like how he's being used now.

Use him any more than that and it will reek of desperation.
    Desperation is exactly where we are. Our offense sucks big time with no apparent answers for our problems, so yea, let's try anything.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Desperation is exactly where we are. Our offense sucks big time with no apparent answers for our problems, so yea, let's try anything.
    You really think a few gimmick plays, led by a bench warmer who, like Joe, would have to play behind our putrid line would really make a difference?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWedra View Post
    I never said take Joe Flacco out...
    You can't have both on the field. Do the math, better yet, who is our 3rd string? Oh yeah, we don't keep one. The end.

I am going to be on the against it side. with the way our season is going, it would be our luck that a CB / LB lined up accross from joe (if he is lined up as a wide out) would send a stiff block on the knees and tears Joe's ACL an just happens that Tyrod gets hurt on the same play... then what???

You really think a few gimmick plays, led by a bench warmer who, like Joe, would have to play behind our putrid line would really make a difference?
    Against Chicago in the 4th Qtr, Tyrod with fresh legs may have made a difference. Been a lot of backups this year and last that made the Ravens defense look mediocre. Right situation, anything could happen. Defenses have figured out Flacco and it has shown this year. Yea, your right, as usual, don't try anything different. Do the same old plays, see what it has done for the Ravens this year. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    You can't have both on the field. Do the math, better yet, who is our 3rd string? Oh yeah, we don't keep one. The end.
    We can't have both on the field? Why is that?

And you're not going to play a guy because of fear that he'll get hurt? Story is--if Flacco goes down, the season is gone anyway. Football teams that improve never play hesitant.

Maybe, maybe not, but the fact remains that we've lost 4 games by 3 points or less, so maybe that gimmick play would get the extra score or first down we need to keep possession. When you don't have the talent to win, coaches have to get creative. At this point, what do we really have to lose?