Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Should Tyrod Taylor be included more often?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Wasnt how they used him sunday what people wanted? 6 plays total i believe? total net 13 yards and IMO completely messed up the rhythm and basically played 10 on 11 every time he was under center and Flacco was out wide. I dont get it. want to throw him in for a play or two... fine, but i still dont see the upside of getting him involved more and the end result pretty much supported that sunday. More they used him the more negative plays resulted.

im even less thrilled about him playing WR. If hes lined up as a WR, why not have Doss/Brown/Thompson there instead? the argument as QB or RB at least theres the option of Run/pass/handoff which I get but if hes at WR hes only going to be a WR.
    He got in at least 10 plays maybe one or two more I am forgetting where he was used as a decoy.

And a few of them were just straight handoffs, not even read-options.

He was definitely used too much, imo, and needs to work on his "read" on the read-option. At least two or three times he seemed to hand it off when he should have kept it and kept when it would have been better to hand it off.

As for rhythm, he only really affected one drive and that was a drive where he handed off to Pierce on 1st and 10 from the Jets 33 and the play gained a decent 4 yards, then he took a 6 yard loss on 2nd down, making Joe inherit a 3rd and 12. We threw up a deep prayer incomplete and Tucker nailed a 53 yarder into the wind.

The next drive (7;32 left in 3rd) he took a 7 yard loss on 1st and 10 from the Jets 31 (by now there is 0% chance Rex is going to be 'fooled' by any Tyrod, yet he was still being trotted out there). Flacco was then sacked for 8 yards and we went from makeable FG to punting. That was the worst Tyrod play by far, imo, in terms of play call and time of game, design, and execution. Dumb.

Blog Entries

In one word NO. As in hell no. Sure maybe once or twice a game but more often? No. After the first couple the Jets D was done playing with it. Not to mention I can't stand that read option or wildcat crap. Sorry but no one is using then with any success. It was a one and half of a second year thing that NFL defenses quickly shut down.

Blog Entries

I am glad the coaches are more open minded that some on this thread. It's about the run game, not QB. This team HAS to find a way to run the ball or the offense will continue to struggle.

Was it over used? Yes, no doubt and maybe that was so Pitt would spend time preparing for it. Maybe we won't see a single play, it was all a strategy. But they did have some success with it, just not the dumb end around stuff, which was smelled out each time.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 8m

Joe flacco is no fan of the wildcat offense said it feels like a 'high school offense' he doesn't expect more of it

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post

Joe flacco is no fan of the wildcat offense said it feels like a 'high school offense' he doesn't expect more of it
    Good for Joe. I doubt that if the running game weren't total crap the Wildcat would get much consideration at all. It's the poor running game, NOT the poor play at QB that has necessitated even considering it this year.

Blog Entries

I like Joe's honesty and fire here...but, this puts the target on his back. He's asking to be given control of the offense...if he wants it, he needs to make it work.

Otherwise, his answer should be "we need to find SOMETHING to open up the defense for bigger passes"
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I like Joe's honesty and fire here...but, this puts the target on his back. He's asking to be given control of the offense...if he wants it, he needs to make it work.

Otherwise, his answer should be "we need to find SOMETHING to open up the defense for bigger passes"
    No, it doesn't put any target on his back. The logic here is simply...illogical. He's NOT being given control of the offense, so the false notion that "if he wants it, he needs to make it work" makes no sense at all.

If he HAD been given control, and HE implemented this wildcat business, and THEN it didn't work and he was dissing it, THEN he would have put a target on his back. But the scenario you described isn't even remotely close to that. What it IS related to is YOU wanting to put a target on his back for something that is not of his doing. And that sort of shit has been happening almost the entire time he's been here. His words get twisted to the point of absurdity -- like when he joked about someone from the sideline tackling the returner on the last play in the Super Bowl and supposedly rational people insisted he was serious. Total fan failure.

Blog Entries

What I'm saying is, he says "the Wildcat makes us look like a dumb offense, I should be under center, we need to work on our basics". The Wildcat didn't work in the 2nd half, but the run game hasn't been working and they were trying SOMETHING to open up the passing game, which it started to in the 1st half. By saying the Wildcat is dumb and I don't want to run it, to me he's saying we need to be operating out of the same system we've been running, the one that's been struggling due to the poor run game and other factors.

If he's saying don't change the system to try to get things working, as the leader on the offense, he needs to make for damn sure that "working on the basics" is going to produce results. Because otherwise, we still have a broken system that's not working and he just told the coaches to get the cooks out of the kitchen and let them play. If he's saying "keep the status quo" with the 23rd ranked total offense in the NFL, it seems destined to fail, unless he knows some change that is going to make things better is coming.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    What I'm saying is, he says "the Wildcat makes us look like a dumb offense, I should be under center, we need to work on our basics". The Wildcat didn't work in the 2nd half, but the run game hasn't been working and they were trying SOMETHING to open up the passing game, which it started to in the 1st half. By saying the Wildcat is dumb and I don't want to run it, to me he's saying we need to be operating out of the same system we've been running, the one that's been struggling due to the poor run game and other factors.

If he's saying don't change the system to try to get things working, as the leader on the offense, he needs to make for damn sure that "working on the basics" is going to produce results. Because otherwise, we still have a broken system that's not working and he just told the coaches to get the cooks out of the kitchen and let them play. If he's saying "keep the status quo" with the 23rd ranked total offense in the NFL, it seems destined to fail, unless he knows some change that is going to make things better is coming.
    That's a little more logical, but he's NOT saying "don't change the system". He's saying FIX the system that's not working at the fundamental level (i.e. O-line blocking, hitting the right holes, WRs holding onto the ball, running the right routes, etc.) instead of resorting to gimmicky plays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post

Thanks for giving Pitt one less thing to prepare for

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

iggyman555 Guest

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4677/joe-flacco

Speaking Tuesday, Joe Flacco savaged the Ravens' use of the Wildcat in Sunday's win over the Jets.

Flacco said the Wildcat makes the Ravens "not look like an NFL team," and a "high school team." Somewhere, Tony Sparano is crying. "I don’t care where it’s used, I’m just not a big fan of it," Flacco said. "I’m the quarterback. I want to be behind the line of scrimmage." Flacco also pledged to simply stand around when split out wide on future Wildcat snaps. "I’m not doing a single thing. I’m not blocking, I’m not doing anything." Tyrod Taylor had limited success running the Wildcat on Sunday. It certainly sounds like it won't be a big part of the Ravens' offense going forward

Blog Entries

This quote puts things in better perspective...

WNST ‏@WNST 1m
    Flacco: "I'm all for doing things to get better, but we're not going to be good if we can't get good at what we do 90% of the time." #Ravens