Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Bobby Rainey named NFC offensive player of the week

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    NCRaven and HR are spot on. The running issues here are with the o-line. Period.
    Rainey is essentially a Rice clone whose additional value is pretty much limited to returns. Since the Ravens were & are pretty well covered there with guys who provide other capabilities as well (JJ12, Deonte, Doss, even Asa), Rainey on the Ravens 53-man would never be activated until & unless Rice got hurt--& Mighty Mouse coming into the season had been a pretty durable RB. (Pierce gets hurt, but if they replace him with Rainey they've got 2 of the same types of RB out there.)

If the OL is doing even an adequate job of run-blocking, even a journeyman replacement can keep the running game alive enough to prevent defenses from teeing off on Joe--& the proper journeyman can add value somewhere else (e.g., Anthony Allen on ST). We all know the OL hasn't. Rainey couldn't have been expected to perform any better than Rice before his injury--which wasn't very well.

IMHO the FO's great lapse in offseason/preseason was with the OL, to wit:
    • Not providing for a decent backup to KO, who they knew had back trouble;
    • Ditto for Yanda once they knew he'd need rotator-cuff surgery;
    • Relying on Gradkowski with no veteran backup (NB Shipley is only a second-year guy);
    And perhaps most critically,
    • Signing onto a new & complex blocking scheme that they knew from the gitgo would take at least half the season to mature, while
    • Failing to evaluate accurately the ability of the OLmen on roster, with their physical issues and/or relative inexperience, to learn and execute that scheme as a unit.

(To conclude the digression, the blame lies IMHO squarely on Castillo. He's advertised as a great evaluator of OL talent as well as a great teacher of technique, & he's worked with most of these guys since before the Super Bowl. Either
    • he completely overestimated their individual & collective ability to adapt to his version of the ZBS, or
    • he failed to take physical/mental issues into account, or
    • he failed in his teaching duties--or
    • he sold Harbaugh a wildly optimistic bill of goods on the strength of his reputation.
    Pick any & every that apply.)

Re: Bobby Rainey named NFC offensive player of the week

Hey, maybe it's a mistake that they didn't draft Pierre Thomas.

He just put up 7.3 yards a carry against Atlanta. That's almost 2 yards a carry more than Rainey put up against them.

Maybe the FO really missed out by not begging the NFL to schedule 16 games against Atlanta this season...

Re: Bobby Rainey - In retrospect, a mistake?

Ray Rice is in the twilight of his career as a top-flight NFL RB. Pierce is an injury waiting to happen. Going into the season with 2 RBs on the roster and 5 safeties was a serious mistake in roster construction that came back to bite the Ravens almost immediately.

Keeping Rainey was the correct move for both the present and the future; he would have been good depth this year and an upgrade over Draughn or Scott. In the future, he could have been at worst a change of pace/3rd down back behind Pierce once Rice is cut.

I don't think there's an argument that cutting Rainey was the right choice--and that has nothing to do with hindsight. The decision was wrong when it was made.

Amen! That is why I said the Front Office was stupid. I can list plenty more players drafted which were horrible choices as well, but it is water over the bridge. It is part of the reason why we are 4-6 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Ray Rice is in the twilight of his career as a top-flight NFL RB. Pierce is an injury waiting to happen. Going into the season with 2 RBs on the roster and 5 safeties was a serious mistake in roster construction that came back to bite the Ravens almost immediately.

Keeping Rainey was the correct move for both the present and the future; he would have been good depth this year and an upgrade over Draughn or Scott. In the future, he could have been at worst a change of pace/3rd down back behind Pierce once Rice is cut.

I don't think there's an argument that cutting Rainey was the right choice--and that has nothing to do with hindsight. The decision was wrong when it was made.

Amen! That is why I said the Front Office was stupid. I can list plenty more players drafted which were horrible choices as well, but it is water over the bridge. It is part of the reason why we are 4-6 this year.
    Yup. It's just so weird how some people would rather go through all these convoluted gyrations/rationalizations rather than just acknowledging it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Yup. It's just so weird how some people would rather go through all these convoluted gyrations/rationalizations rather than just acknowledging it.
    It's a BS argument. The "Ray Rice in the twilight of his career" is grade-A hindsight.

I do agree that a third RB instead of a 5th safety would have made sense if the former brought useful versatility to the roster. But Rainey brought no added value to the table; beyond being a Rice-clone, his skill set was already adequately covered. Period, end of story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    It's a BS argument. The "Ray Rice in the twilight of his career" is grade-A hindsight.

I do agree that a third RB instead of a 5th safety would have made sense if the former brought useful versatility to the roster. But Rainey brought no added value to the table; beyond being a Rice-clone, his skill set was already adequately covered. Period, end of story.
    Are you serious?

You say Ray-clone like it's a bad thing. Having another Ray Rice is a GREAT thing. They made a very stupid decision and then because of pride and stubbornness didn't make the move even when they got a second chance.

Blog Entries

They should have put him on the initial 53. They tried to PS him. They didn't think he'd get picked up. They had a chance to bring him up. They still didn't and Cleveland eventually picked him up. Cleveland let him go and he found a good spot in Tampa Bay and is now doing well.

That's the reality of the situation.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

When you already have his skill covered as LOb said that can start - yup - it's overkill. But like has been posted several times, he never starts in this offense.

Blog Entries

Deonte Thompson and Torrey are relatively the same height and weight. Both are also speedy, vertical threat receivers.

Torrey starts. Thompson barely plays.

Why keep Thompson then by that logic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's like saying Rice will never get hurt so we'll never need anyone with his skillset. Oh wait.!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I'm happy for Rainey that he had a great game but let's not anoint him the next Barry Sanders just yet.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Deonte Thompson and Torrey are relatively the same height and weight. Both are also speedy, vertical threat receivers.

Torrey starts. Thompson barely plays.

Why keep Thompson then by that logic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but you still get Torrey and Deonte on the field at the same time because you can put 3-4 WR on the field at the same time. You ain't gonna have 3 RB on the field at once.