Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Back shoulder throws?

Why were they taken out if the repertoire?

Joe worked on these types of throws a lot during last off season... I haven't seen a lot of them at all this year. They are almost impossible to defend and they have a low probability of being intercepted.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Back shoulder throws?

Simple. Change in personnel. Boldin & Pitta were more often targeted with these back shoulder throws if memory serves me correctly.
    Last year/this year I don't recall any back shoulder throws to Dickson, he can't even catch them with the front.
    Unproven guys like Deonte Thompson, Marlon Brown and Tandon Doss will limit what you can do with them.
    As for Jacoby he doesn't have the hands for it since he's somewhat of a body catcher in my opinion.

Blog Entries

They worked mostly with Boldin. I'm not sure the Ravens have a receiver who can make that turn and catch the ball. Brown and Doss definitely can't do it. It doesn't really fit in with what they want to do with Torrey Smith. It might work for Thompson though.

Blog Entries

I disagree that Brown and Torrey can't do it.

They haven't even tried.

In the red zone those back shoulder throws are money and Flacco has the arm to get them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Someone (Jacoby I believe) caught one for a TD not too long ago.

And I want to say, Wicked, you pointed it out in a game thread to leachisabeast that is was a perfect back shoulder throw.

As for your point, hard to throw anything when you're constantly staring at a defenseman every time you go to make a throw.

Good observation and another reason for a change in OC.

The fact that this tactic/technique has fallen off the table (which in the most fair judgment means...it's not being practiced or not being practiced well, and therefore it's not being added to the game plan) is just embarrassing. You see it in high schools ffs.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Someone (Jacoby I believe) caught one for a TD not too long ago.

And I want to say, Wicked, you pointed it out in a game thread to leachisabeast that is was a perfect back shoulder throw.

As for your point, hard to throw anything when you're constantly staring at a defenseman every time you go to make a throw.

JJ vs. GB was an over the shoulder grab.

Add: Marlon's TD @ BUF was a back-shoulderish jump ball down the seam a la Boldin. Sounds like what you were recalling.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 11-19-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I recall several back shoulder passes to Torrey Smith last year. One that immedaitely comes to mind is last year in OT @ San Diego. It put us in FG range.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    JJ vs. GB was an over the shoulder grab.
    It wasn't that game. Trying to find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It wasn't that game. Trying to find it now.
    I edited in above. It was Marlon @ BUF.
    I had forgotten about that one myself.

@BigPlayReceiver

I was wondering the same thing. Even back when Mason was here, Joe had good success throwing comeback routes and back shoulder throws.

Maybe defenses are taking away those outside routes because they aren't afraid of the middle. Who would be scared of doss, clark or Dickson.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I recall several back shoulder passes to Torrey Smith last year. One that immedaitely comes to mind is last year in OT @ San Diego. It put us in FG range.
    I have the same recollection for 2012.
    My point (and believe Solo's as well) is that where has it been this year?

@BigPlayReceiver