Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Marc Trestman knows his crap

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Trestman said:

Let's see:

1) The Ravens didn't call timeout after Rice's run to the 5 because they didn't have to; it would only have helped the Bears. They had plenty of time left on the clock, with their two timeouts, to run up to four plays. And there were 45 seconds between the snap for Rice's 11-yard run and the snap for the 1st and goal play, which is more than enough time to get whatever group they wanted onto the field, and makes it clear that they were NOT forced to stay in their two-minute offense.

2) The Ravens then used their two timeouts after 1st and 2nd down, again giving them the opportunity to get the package they wanted onto the field.

3) There would have been 18 seconds left if, and only if, the Ravens ran the ball or completed a pass three consecutive times without scoring, and unless the Ravens decided to go for it on 4th down, the Bears still get into overtime.

• A TD on 1st down leaves the Bears 1:10 and two timeouts
    • A TD on 2nd down leaves them at least 1:00 and one timeout.
    • An incomplete pass on 1st or 2nd down, and a TD on 3rd down still gives them around 50 seconds and one timeout
    • Three runs and a TD on 3rd down leaves them 45 seconds

While it's certainly possible that the Ravens would have run three times, you don't assume that will be the outcome and keep your timeouts in your pocket.

He cooked up a great explanation, but if the Ravens had scored on that 3rd down pass, he'd have gotten crucified, with good reason. The only advantage the Bears gained was that the Ravens had to throw on 3rd down, but chances are they would have done that anyway. Another potential advantage would have been giving the Ravens extra plays if a defensive penalty gave them a first down, but who strategizes based on that? I remember watching football back in the 60's, when coaches would actually let the clock run out while they were trailing and on defense instead of using their timeouts. Strange, but true. I thought I'd been transported back 50 years.
    Hi Ravens fans. I apologize for bringing up a thread that has been buried for a few days now. I wanted to discuss it earlier but it took a few days to be approved.

I primarily post on a Bears board, not to be an instigator, I lived in Chicago for 12 years, anyways. But I found this place because I was sick of discussing this topic with Bears fans. They make me want to ram my head into a wall, a thick concrete wall, repeatedly, because of this subject.

95% of them think Trestman was a genius for this decision because he made a 2 minute explanation about it citing a percentage that had nothing to do with not using timeouts with 1st and goal and over a minute left. "It’s a leap of faith. They went all the way down the field. Three points yes. Tied the game. Seven points? We’re talking 13 percent." Trestman, 13% doesn't apply anymore. This is simple probability. You are the genius?

It's frustrating to hear someone like Trestman be so openly foolish and then get praised by fans and media for his brilliance because he got lucky and won. Are the fans and media really that naive?

I again apologize for bringing up a thread that has run its course. This is just a topic that is sitting very poorly with me and I finally got approved to comment here.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
    Hi Ravens fans. I apologize for bringing up a thread that has been buried for a few days now. I wanted to discuss it earlier but it took a few days to be approved. I primarily post on a Bears board, not to be an instigator, I lived in Chicago for 12 years, anyways. But I found this place because I was sick of discussing this topic with Bears fans. They make me want to ram my head into a wall, a thick concrete wall, repeatedly, because of this subject. 95% of them think Trestman was a genius for this decision because he made a 2 minute explanation about it citing a percentage that had nothing to do with not using timeouts with 1st and goal and over a minute left. "It’s a leap of faith. They went all the way down the field. Three points yes. Tied the game. Seven points? We’re talking 13 percent." Trestman, 13% doesn't apply anymore. This is simple probability. You are the genius? It's frustrating to hear someone like Trestman be so openly foolish and then get praised by fans and media for his brillianc because he got lucky and won. Are the fans and media really that naive? I again apologize for bringing up a thread that has run its course. This is just a topic that is sitting very poorly with me and I finally got approved to comment here.
    Welcome!

I think every coach has an explanation for every decision they make. You don't get to be a head coach if you are a complete idiot. But most fans evaluate decisions (erroneously IMO) based on outcome.

If a decision works, whatever rationale you throw out is sound. If it doesn't, any explanation you give is considered so much BS.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: Marc Trestman knows his crap

If Gino snaps the ball to Joe, instead of into the mud, it's game over. Sorry...I wasn't impressed by Trestman's non-use of the TOs at all. Talking about someone [almost] out-thinking himself.

I again apologize for bringing up a thread that has run its course. This is just a topic that is sitting very poorly with me and I finally got approved to comment here.
    No problem. Trestman screwed the pooch, but managed to baffle them with BS. Sometimes (most times?) that's better than using the right strategy and losing.

And welcome to the board.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

iggyman555 Guest

Hi Ravens fans. I apologize for bringing up a thread that has been buried for a few days now. I wanted to discuss it earlier but it took a few days to be approved.

I primarily post on a Bears board, not to be an instigator, I lived in Chicago for 12 years, anyways. But I found this place because I was sick of discussing this topic with Bears fans. They make me want to ram my head into a wall, a thick concrete wall, repeatedly, because of this subject.

95% of them think Trestman was a genius for this decision because he made a 2 minute explanation about it citing a percentage that had nothing to do with not using timeouts with 1st and goal and over a minute left. "It’s a leap of faith. They went all the way down the field. Three points yes. Tied the game. Seven points? We’re talking 13 percent." Trestman, 13% doesn't apply anymore. This is simple probability. You are the genius?

It's frustrating to hear someone like Trestman be so openly foolish and then get praised by fans and media for his brilliance because he got lucky and won. Are the fans and media really that naive?

you should hear some of the shit harbaugh makes up after making terrible coaching decision

iggyman555 Guest

is he still a genius? LOL

Rich Campbell @Rich_Campbell
    Bears played a lot of 8-man fronts today b/c they knew Rams wanted to run, Chris Conte said. That makes the totals seem even worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    If Gino snaps the ball to Joe, instead of into the mud, it's game over. Sorry...I wasn't impressed by Trestman's non-use of the TOs at all. Talking about someone [almost] out-thinking himself.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.