Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Officiating has made this game virtually unwatchable...

Here's a grab of Peppers slamming his right hand / arm in to Joe's facemask on one of his sacks yesterday... notice Steratore intently watching the whole play. And the still doesn't do it justice, but at full speed you can see Joe's head get whipped around... it was basically like a punch. Part of the problem I think is that Joe doesn't lobby enough. Brady and Brees put on a show that NOBODY misses whenever they're touched "harshly"... and I think it pays off later when they get big calls. Joe gets hit like Brees did half a dozen times every week, and never says a word.

Sack1.jpg

Just when I thought the officiating couldn't get worse I see what happened to the niners and patriots. Talked about getting screwed. There's a lot of salt in SF and Boston today and deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens2006 View Post
    Here's a grab of Peppers slamming his right hand / arm in to Joe's facemask on one of his sacks yesterday... notice Steratore intently watching the whole play. And the still doesn't do it justice, but at full speed you can see Joe's head get whipped around... it was basically like a punch. Part of the problem I think is that Joe doesn't lobby enough. Brady and Brees put on a show that NOBODY misses whenever they're touched "harshly"... and I think it pays off later when they get big calls. Joe gets hit like Brees did half a dozen times every week, and never says a word.

Sack1.jpg
    I'd like to see that on video. The rules change depending on if he's in the pocket or not. If Joe scrambled outside the pocket and there's inadvertent head contact, then there's no penalty.

The fact there's no linemen anywhere in that shot tells me he's well outside the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd like to see that on video. The rules change depending on if he's in the pocket or not. If Joe scrambled outside the pocket and there's inadvertent head contact, then there's no penalty. The fact there's no linemen anywhere in that shot tells me he's well outside the pocket.
    He was about as in-the-middle-of-the-pocket as you can be... :) The lack of linemen in the other shot is because it's a close-up, slo-mo...

Sack3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens2006 View Post
    He was about as in-the-middle-of-the-pocket as you can be... :) The lack of linemen in the other shot is because it's a close-up, slo-mo...

Sack3.jpg
    Yep. Still want to see it in real time though.

As long as Steratore calls it both ways, I don't want to see flags for the smallest of helmet touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    All Dumervil had to do was not push McCown, the ball had gone and he knew because if it hadn't he would have drilled the guy. The push was cheap and a stupid move. He should know better.
    Yeah, as far as I know this is a bright line letter of the rule issue. You can't extend your arms to shove the QB after the fact, because that's a new action. It's not the same thing as being unable to stop yourself and making contact, it's taking a whole new action to hit him after the pass. Maybe the rule is dumb, but the ref's call is accurate.

Blog Entries

Man, so much ground covered, a number of unrelated thing come to mind to add to different posters in this thread.

Most popular sport needs parameter definition. Definitely true that Soccer stomps American Football in a number of ways including financially.
    Very surprising to learn that cricket also stomps it in viewing, but that is also adding in India's passion for the game and population many times as much as USA.

Penalties, I would like to see Tony run a poll with 32 teams and the ability to vote for 3, as to what team gets the most favorable breaks. Not sure what teams would be second and third, but I would be shocked if the Patriots were not first by a considerable margin. I saw the Tuck rule established real time to give them help to a championship (Walt Coleman) and AFAIK Coleman has not worked a Raiders game since 2002 (thru 2010 that I could find) (we lost a tuck decision vs KC 1/2011, don't think that was Coleman)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Coleman
    On December 8, 2002 at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, the Packers came from behind to defeat the Minnesota Vikings, 26-22, in a contest in which the league would later admit that Coleman and his crew made nine officiating errors
    2008 Steelers v. Ravens game..... With the Ravens leading 9–6 with less than 50 seconds left to play in the fourth quarter, Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes caught a 3-yard pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and was ruled down just shy of the goal line. But after reviewing the play, Coleman overturned the call
    Mike Pereira himself would also later question a replay review by Coleman during a critical November 2009 mid-season contest between the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles for first place in the NFC East
    And there you have my guesses at what teams would win the fan's perception of most helped by the referees consistantly..... Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and Walt Coleman at the center (walt Coleman who blew the call in the Lions loss to the Texans when he penalized Jim Schwartz for challenging in under 2 minutes -Thanksgiving 2012 and the missed call was not reviewed)

Finally, with the integrity of the game.... as altruistic as anything sounds, it is about lawsuits and the cover-up the NFL did for years with concussions beyond cover-up.... deliberate mis-information in the opposite direction... they are protecting themselves, players get protection purely by accident.

I'm reminded of a song title by the Chiffons, One Fine Day.....
    one fine day is now Sundays, but it is more like multiple fine day
    10/30/2010 The NFL handed out fines worth $262,500 last week
    "See your Honor, we are angels trying our best to protect the players..."
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

If you really want to get technical, refs could call penalties on every play of any game. There is always SOME contact on passing plays past the 5 yard chuck zone. There is also potentially holding by offensive lineman on every snap. So of course you end up with different crews with different interpretations of when flags should be thrown.

Then you have subjective officiating like where Mike Carey got pissed off at the Ravens and threw about 11 flags in a row in Detroit and made up the rules as he went along. That happens a lot more than we can comprehend. Certain players like Suh have a bulls eye on their jersey when it comes to refs, and certain QB's (Brady) get preferential treatment when it comes to someone breathing on them. (See last night's replay of Brady getting a roughing call when someone accidentally touched his helmet).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    If you really want to get technical, refs could call penalties on every play of any game. There is always SOME contact on passing plays past the 5 yard chuck zone. There is also potentially holding by offensive lineman on every snap. So of course you end up with different crews with different interpretations of when flags should be thrown.

Then you have subjective officiating like where Mike Carey got pissed off at the Ravens and threw about 11 flags in a row in Detroit and made up the rules as he went along. That happens a lot more than we can comprehend. Certain players like Suh have a bulls eye on their jersey when it comes to refs, and certain QB's (Brady) get preferential treatment when it comes to someone breathing on them. (See last night's replay of Brady getting a roughing call when someone accidentally touched his helmet).
    So true....
    in an extention of what you are saying, there is a ton of room for Tim Donaghy to exist in the NFL... so far in out anger we are putting it off to incompentence as opposed to agenda.... people with an agenda probably hide it better.... the only games I really enjoy watching are the ones where I don't give a crap who wins... if I have a favorite then a lot of times the officials become more important than the players as to who wins (except in blow-outs)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

What I didn't want lost in this conversation is that my original point had nothing to do with blaming this loss on officials... I'm not. I was just using that "Dumervil" play as an example of what is causing me to lose interest in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Are we really debating how stupid the rules have become?

Doom's hit was stupid on his part. Maybe it was ticky-tack but to me and it was stupid. Plenty of fans made the same observation in the game thread. I hate the rules that protect the QB but they are the rules and it's no big surprise the zebras are going to be on the look out for that stuff.

The Niners game was a different story. They were God awful.

But one leads to the other. The over protection rules directly effect the call made in the Niners game. You have the rules mandating a certain amount of protection, it leads to things that look bad, without being illegal getting flagged.

Blog Entries

It's going to continue to get more and more stringent, it will never go the other way.

Same thing in business. I heard a pharmaceutical sales rep call email today - in their business the rules have become so strict he can't have lunch with a doctor to build a relationship and talk about selling a new drug which my benefit people. The rules no longer allow it. Yesterday Brett Favre said he is having trouble finishing sentences... lawsuit pending? The league has no choice just like business that continue to get lawsuits. Just my $02

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!