Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Officiating has made this game virtually unwatchable...

This is not a comment on the Raven's loss. This is a comment on the NFL gam as a whole. That roughing the passer call against Dumervil yesterday is the type of call making this game unwatchable for me. It could have been Peppers on Flacco... and I would feel the same. Let them play the goddamn game of football and stop changing the outcome of games...

And of course... in typical Redskins Fury fashion I will let me emotions get the best of me and go too far making my point... but, It's getting to the point where I'd rather walk across my back yard with my son and go watch Towson U. play on a Sat night. No BS calls... no bs replays, etc. Just some fun football. On the downside... they don't sell beer to go with my Sausage sandwich.

Blog Entries

Re: Officiating has made this game virtually unwatchable...

Did you see the Saints/49ers game? Another ridiculous roughing the QB penalty against the 49ers. After it was over Howie Long was talking to Michael Strahan. These are 2 all time great defensive lineman who know about pressuring the QB. Howie just shook his head and said that he doesn't know how it's even possible to sack the QB under these rules. Strahan didn't disagree.

Blog Entries

The call on Dumerville was ticky-tack. But the rules are the rules. It doesn't make the game less enjoyable for me. It's still plenty violent enough.

What gets me is putting the review system in the coaches hands. Isn't the point of review to get the call right? So why does the coach have to take on that responsibility? Not to mention they've given a whole new meaning to home field advantage with home teams being able to see reviews on their screen. I don't like it because it's a technology advantage and not a natural crowd noise advantage. Let the coaches coach and put a replay official in the booth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Did you see the Saints/49ers game? Another ridiculous roughing the QB penalty against the 49ers. After it was over Howie Long was talking to Michael Strahan. These are 2 all time great defensive lineman who know about pressuring the QB. Howie just shook his head and said that he doesn't know how it's even possible to sack the QB under these rules. Strahan didn't disagree.
    That was one of the worst calls, top it off that idiot Troy Aikman kept saying it was the right call.

Eray... it's not about violence. There was no violence in that hit... I'm fine with getting the "dirty" head-shots out of the game. It's about letting the players and plays actually dictate the outcome of games, not officials. I agree 100% on the replays as well. Giving the flags to the coaches has turned the replay system into gambling and gamesmanship... not about getting the call correct. It's changed the way the officials officiate and the way coaches coach, for the worse. College has the correct replay system.

Gota... I didn't see the play but I've heard all about it.

They were god awful.

Blog Entries

The call on Flacco sliding was similar, he tried to pull up.

The NFL wants their star QBs available in the big games. We don't want to watch backups, but even with these rules it still happens a lot. The rules are not going back, if anything they'll continue to get more and more strict regarding 'safety'.

It's all about the $

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I have to agree with the premise of this thread. Roughing the passer calls against the Bears, Ravens and 49ers were ticky-tack. Calls for horse collar tackles are getting out of hand. I've shook my head more this year due to poor officiating than past seasons. The league is favoring the offense a little too much.

I agree the roughing the passer was ticky-tacky, but I hate the lack of consistency. Joe got smacked upside the head, and no flag was thrown. The horse collars were bullshit too.

Are we really debating how stupid the rules have become?

Doom's hit was stupid on his part. Maybe it was ticky-tack but to me and it was stupid. Plenty of fans made the same observation in the game thread. I hate the rules that protect the QB but they are the rules and it's no big surprise the zebras are going to be on the look out for that stuff.

Same thing with the horse collar penalties from our game. They were good calls. Now if you hate the rule, I understand, but that is the rule.

There are good crews and there are bad crews. Steratore's crew is one of the best and I didn't see anything yesterday that changes my mind on that.

The Niners game was a different story. They were God awful.

Blog Entries

I generally have no problem with the protection of the QBs. My problem is with the idiot defensive players who still do these things knowing full well a flag is coming. It was totally unnecessary for Dumervil to lay a hand on McCown on that play, so why do it? Plays where a guy is blocked into the QB and there is some incidental contact afterwards and a flag is thrown, or a guy who is trying to swat the ball inadvertantly gets the QB's head, okay, I get the gripes with that, but not on stuff like what Dumervil did yesterday.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    I agree the roughing the passer was ticky-tacky, but I hate the lack of consistency. Joe got smacked upside the head, and no flag was thrown. The horse collars were bullshit too.
    Joe got hit in the head twice actually, both usually result in flags.

But, officiating generally favors the home team, not just in football, but all sports. That's been well documented before.