Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Officiating has made this game virtually unwatchable...

Count me in. I don't like the rules of the game. I like to see hard hits. I like football the way it was meant to be played. I think all rules should be turned back 50 years.

iggyman555 Guest

PI and defensive holding are different between crews some call it more than others and some are even inconsistent between weeks

Even if Dumervil just lays a hand on the QB, he would fall back like he was shot. Like the Bengals player last week when Smith shoved him, he looked like he was blasted back.

Did see the head shots on Flacco with no call. The Brees hit looked bad with the LB's arm around his neck on the ground. Replay can't change it.

Blog Entries

The refs cost the Niners that game...really bad call.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Some of you think yesterday was bad?

• Ball placement/judgment of forward progress - excellent
    • Pass interference/defensive holding - no complaints
    • Offside vs. false start - dead on
    • Reviews - IMO they got them right
    • Roughing/personal fouls - can't complain there, either; if Doom only puts one hand on the QB, he doesn't get flagged
    • Offensive holding - I didn't see anyone get tackled; I didn't see a replay of the call on Yanda, so I can't render an opinion on that one
    • Horsecollars - I have to read the rule again; I thought the hand had to be inside the jersey

I just didn't see much to complain about.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I thought that they made one bad call in both directions. The PF on the Flacco slide and the PF on the Doom push. I didn't think either of them warranted a flag, but other then that it was pretty well-officiated. I'm a big fan of that crew.

Blog Entries

I don't so much have a problem with the rules as I do their consequences.

I really hate how a team comes up with a crucial stop and a pushing and shoving match turns into an automatic first down.

That's just one example but I feel penalties on the defense have far more serious consequences than penalties on the offense.

Another thing that killed me was that Denver game. Dwayne Bowe got mugged most of the game and the just let it him. It seemed to be a fairly consistent officiated game, except for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Count me in. I don't like the rules of the game. I like to see hard hits. I like football the way it was meant to be played. I think all rules should be turned back 50 years.
    That whole "dying" part is fun, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The call on Flacco sliding was similar, he tried to pull up.

The NFL wants their star QBs available in the big games. We don't want to watch backups, but even with these rules it still happens a lot. The rules are not going back, if anything they'll continue to get more and more strict regarding 'safety'.

It's all about the $
    However, everyone playing the Ravens want's their backup QB's playing because it's a guaranteed win!

As for the OP I'm in the same boat where the product is almost becoming unwatchable with some of these calls. You really can't play tackle football anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    However, everyone playing the Ravens want's their backup QB's playing because it's a guaranteed win!

As for the OP I'm in the same boat where the product is almost becoming unwatchable with some of these calls. You really can't play tackle football anymore.
    That's not a very crowded boat - viewing is at an all time high and it's by far the most popular sport in the world

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Many of the series with Chicago's QB running to his right had Ravens jerseys stretch in front of the officials as well as a few take downs of Suggs and Dumerville. Yet Yanda gets called with no replay on a key play.

The worst call was the catch and fumble by Jeffery in the first quarter.

He clearly catches the ball and makes a football move before being stripped with the fumble recovered by the Ravens deep in Chicago territory. Instead after the challenge they say it was incomplete when there was no clear evidence to overturn the call but there was more than enough evidence to say it was a fumble.

Even when you give these guys a chance to get it right they don't.

The biggest issue with replay is that the head referee makes the final call which makes no sense when an independent ref. can give a more unbiased opinion. For all we know the refs may be judged for having a call overturned. I doubt it but you never know.