Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Drinking: An Irsay Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    The other side of that coin is that you (and me) never got to see Johnny Unitas play. Also, Unitas and lots of the other Colts were actually part of the average-Joe Baltimore community. My dad lived in Aberdeen and Unitas had a house there too. My dad would see Unitas mowing his own grass. Later on my dad got a job as a bus boy at some restaurant and many members of the Colts were "regulars." I don't remember the name of the restaurant, I'll have to ask him, but other posters might already know which restaurant I'm talking about. They might've had the same experience. Remember, nobody would be so damn bitter if the Colts didn't have an equally positive impact on their life, and in many cases their childhood. Not many 80 year old posters on message boards.

Not to say that there aren't Ravens in the community today. But it was just different back then.

Also they got to listen to absurdly brilliant music and watch similarly spectacular movies. I discovered this new album earlier this week from 1967, "It's a beautiful day" by "It's a beautiful Day." My goodness, the most amazing album I've ever heard in my life. This band is outrageously talented and dynamic, even as talented as Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, David Bowie, King Crimson, etc. Notice a pattern in my list? All the music listed is what poor ol' Colts fans got to see live at concerts, music that echoed the time that America was living through. Now the music and movies have sharply declined. There's no compariso. But there ARE good bands and actors today, don't get me wrong. MGMT is a superb band, and there are tons of spectacular actors like Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, and Joaquin Phoenix.

(One odd thing though is that the TV shows today are every bit as good as in the past. Breaking Bad, Curb your Enthusiasm, Modern Family, The Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, etc)
    I'm willing to give this all up in exchange for not hating anyone named Irsay with a burning passion so holy that Jesus himself is impressed, and not having lived through the fiasco with the Browns coming here. As far as I'm concerned, the Ravens have always been here =)

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    "What are you all doing here? I don't know what in the hell this is all about. I have no intention of signing Ed Reed to the goddamn team!"

Good one from his quote: Theyre my ___ ____ team. They're the Irsays.

When Steadman covered Indy's first game, Irsay burst into the press room slobbering and drooling at the mouth as usual and shocked the Indy media saying how does it feel to lose your team now. John replied something like how does it feel to be a dick.

Irsay blamed the media and specifically held Steadman and Phil Jackman
    as culpable.

Ah, the young ones have no idea what we went thru.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

Good one from his quote: Theyre my ___ ____ team. They're the Irsays.

When Steadman covered Indy's first game, Irsay burst into the press room slobbering and drooling at the mouth as usual and shocked the Indy media saying how does it feel to lose your team now. John replied something like how does it feel to be a dick.

Irsay blamed the media and specifically held Steadman and Phil Jackman
    as culpable.

Ah, the young ones have no idea what we went thru.
    I travel to Jacksonville for work frequently and one of my customers has a Jacksonville Colts t-shirt in his office. We cut up about it every time I see him. I need to get a pic of it and post it here.

Irsay landing in a helicopter on the field at the Gator Bowl while 50,000+ chanted, "we want the Colts!". That was late summer 1979 when the Orioles were in a pennant race. Irsay figured he could sneak down there and not be noticed. LOL!

Man, who doesn't remember that 2-3 year stretch where he dangled the team to Jacksonville, Memphis, Phoenix and finally Indy. And denied he had any intentions of moving the entire time.

Blog Entries

Exactly. I have an old Baltimore Cardinals T-shirt when Bidwell came here to flirt with Bmore. Only a few were made before they were forced to stop production.

I remember that helicopter ride that landed and Irsay stood at mid-field with thousands cheering for him. What a douche. Ironically, years later JAX would get the expansion team over us and Schaeffer cried on national TV.

But even before that, Rosey went to Tampa for an exhibition and Bubba busted his knee running out of bounds and into the chains on the side line. He was never the same again. Ironically we were playing the Squeelers and Rick Volk intercepted a pass and Bubba turned into a blocker for him when the play went out of bounds.

Remember the old bumper stickers on cars saying don't Tampa with our Colts. Rosey had every intention of moving there but the comish wouldn't let him. Ironically, when they expanded Tamp got a team and Culverhous who was a power tax atty was the owner of the team. He set up the Rosey to Irsay deal. By trading the team, Rosey saved millions in capital gains taxes. JOe Thomas was the one who introduced Rosey to Irsay and he became Irsay's GM and had some pretty good drafts here after giving Shula all that talent in Miami.

When Culverhouse died, Petey tried to buy the Bucs and move them here. The son wanted to sell to Petey because he offered more money
    but the mother wanted to keep the team there. Tags brought in Glazer to buy the team who was in the local hierarchy of Tampa's power structure. The estate's attys threatened to tie the son's inheritance up in court for years if he blocked the sale to Glazer. He caved in but can you see Angelos as the owner of the Os and football team? Uck.

It was worth waiting for Art and two Lombardi Trophies. JAX has none
    and Tampa has 1.

Ironically, Glazer was one of the prospective owners for a franchise team here and wasn't good enough for Tags here but he was good enough in Tampa. Tags was down there making sure Petey wouldn't get the team.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-15-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Also they got to listen to absurdly brilliant music and watch similarly spectacular movies. I discovered this new album earlier this week from 1967, "It's a beautiful day" by "It's a beautiful Day." My goodness, the most amazing album I've ever heard in my life. This band is outrageously talented and dynamic, even as talented as Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, David Bowie, King Crimson, etc. Notice a pattern in my list? All the music listed is what poor ol' Colts fans got to see live at concerts, music that echoed the time that America was living through. Now the music and movies have sharply declined. There's no compariso. But there ARE good bands and actors today, don't get me wrong. MGMT is a superb band, and there are tons of spectacular actors like Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, and Joaquin Phoenix.
    Preaching to the choir!! I wad born in '84 so right after the move. Def envy the awesome music my parents grew up with...most of my fav bands are from the 60s/70s

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

A lot of young people are saying that. My nephews love the oldies from the Beatles. Lincoln Park is nothing compared to them. Pink Floyd's THE WALL is one of the greatest albums ever made. It drove American teachers nuts when their students walked down the hallways singing, "we don't need no education. We're nothing but bricks in the wall."

The Beatles Abbey Road is their last recorded album produced amongst tensions in the group. Considered one of greatest ever made. Billy HOlliday was the queen of the blues and influenced the Stones and Beatles. Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly did too.

Dustin Huffman, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino are considered 3 of the greatest actors ever and are still making films. NIcholson has been nominated for 12 Oscars, most ever, and won two. He turned down Pacino's role as Michael Corleone in the Godfather. He thought Italians should play Italians and indians should play indians.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-15-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Famous Jack Nicholson lines from Five Easy Pieces:

Bobby: I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
    Waitress: A #2, chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, the mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?
    Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.
    Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
    Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees.

And this Nicholson quote from Cuckoo's Nest where he got Best Actor.

Nurse Pilbow: Don't get upset, Mr. McMurphy.

McMurphy: I'm not getting upset, Nurse Pilbow. I just don't want anyone to slip me salt peter!
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-15-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Airflacco, Let it Be was their last recorded album. It had across the universe, let it be, get back, and dig a pony on it.

And The Wall, eh, I think that album is overrated. It's good, but nowhere near as good as some of Pink Floyd's other albums, particularly Dark Side of the moon and Atom Heart Mother. Definitely check out Atom Heart Mother. The song Alan's Psychadelic breakfast has some of the most beautiful, chirpiest acoustic guitar playing you'll hear.

If you like Pink Floyd, I'd check out the albums "Here Come the Warm Jets" and "Taking Tiger Mountain." Brian Eno, lots of his music reminds me of Ernest Hemingway. Some of the same dynamics are used to magnify emotion.

But really, you must listen to the "It's a beautiful day" album. The melodies are so complex, and there's like 6 fluctuating melodies in each song towards the end. It's a husband-wife singing duo, and they both have fucking incredible voices so full of emotion but they can be violent too. The guy might have as large a vocal range as David Bowie. Bowie had a 4 octave 11 semitone vocal range. He could actually hit both a lower AND higher note than Freddie Mercury. But this guy in "it's a beautiful day" hits a note so absurdly high, and it is NOT falsetto whatsoever. It sounds like a C6 to me, absurd. He adds some NATURAL vibrato to it, at it's peak, and then he holds the note for ten seconds while descending it down into his chest voice and going down to about a Bb2. How does that even happen? 25 seconds into the song "Wasted Union Blues."

Also check out the album Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. The title song starts with some angry jive Afro-fueled Dada poetry, mellows out for 30 seconds with a beautifully simple guitar arpeggio, and then goes into a 9 minute guitar solo, the best guitar solo I have ever heard. Eddie Hazel, the creater of the solo, improvised it when his fellow bandmate told him to "pretend that you just found out yo mama died, but then found out she was still alive."

Oh, and Scary Monsters (and super creeps), Low, Hunky Dory, Heroes, And Lodger are some of my favorites of Bowie. Listen to "Lady Grinning Soul" if you want to be blown away by piano playing, it sounds like something Liszt would compose. And if you want to be blown away by saxophone playing, listen to "Neuköln."

Blog Entries

Yup, I know all those Floyd songs also Lead Zepplein another great group. I sing AC/DC on Fri nights, Highway to Hell, Drink on Me and Back in Black. Chicks go nutz.

But Let It BE was last Beatles album released. Abbey Road was last recorded album. Both were great. I have original cover of their very first album I Want to Hold YOur Hand - same with Stones with a lot of blues mixed in with the rock n roll - Time is On My Side.

Stones and Zepplein influenced heavy metal and rock n roll was changed to just ROCK.

The Beatles SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEART CLUB BAND was another break thru album. A song entitled Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds was equated with LSD but John Lennon always denied it but McCartney said it was about drugs and so was Day Tripper which McCartney said everyone missed. Both songsters wrote it.

The KInks were another great group and their mega song Lola was changed because it had Coca Cola in it and the BBC wouldn't play songs with trade names in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lola_(song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_in..._with_Diamonds

Another mega hit by Van Morrison called Brown Eye Girl was originally called Brown
    Skin Girl but radio stations banned it because it was about an interracial relationship.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2359

I've been getting into Blues since I go into iTunes and don't like any of the new releases. Love North Mississippi Blues and BB King and Billie Holliday.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Pretty sure Jimmy was joking around with this tweet, but just in case he was the least bit serious here's an example of 'alternate realities syndrome" that he may have inherited from his drunk ass dad. ;)

I met a bar owner in the Catskills while watching the MNF game where Ed Reed strip sacked Mark Brunnel, recovered the fumble and ran it into the EZ. The bar owner had gone to college at Chapel Hill with Baltimore Colts RB Don McCauley who was a seriously clutch 3rd down receiver for the Colts. This guy was big, but he never played pro ball. Anyways, Don had his buddy up to Bmore a couple times to attend games in the early 80's. One game the Colts actually won and afterwards all the players were partying in Tio Pepe's, Don's buddy among them. All of a sudden Bob Irsay bursts in, drunk as a skunk, hugging every body and congratulating them on the win. Buffoon Bob comes up to Don's friend (who never played)and says "I'm 'sp-'specially p-p-proud of you! You h-had a great game man!" and slobbers all over him! McCauley winked and told his buddy to just go along with it. Then Irsay proclaims to the restaurant staff to put everbody's bill on his tab, and stumbles out the door. As soon as he was gone, everybody started ordering bottles of Dom Perignon and similar type booze to go and the staff gladly added them to Irsays bill! ;)

Now that Rex has snagged Ed I'm wondering if he's been drinking too lol!
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

Ironically, Glazer was one of the prospective owners for a franchise team here and wasn't good enough for Tags here but he was good enough in Tampa. Tags was down there making sure Petey wouldn't get the team.
    I had forgotten all about Glazer. We were led to believe we had a good shot at getting the Bucs. Then Glazer and his nerdy sons showed up on the scene in Tampa and next thing you know their money was like gold to Tags. I remember cringing every time Malcolm or his sons opened their mouths on camera. It was like watching a Revenge of the Nerds reunion.

Ahh well.. like you said, we got the better deal when Art followed up the Glazer move by bringing us a team.