Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggs where has he been the last couple games

Where has Suggs been the last couple games?
    He has no sacks and seems to be slowed down.
    Is he injured?

Blog Entries

Re: Suggs where has he been the last couple games

Pees has been a little conservative lately, but Sizzle did make a huge play against the Jets.

Isn't one of his feet giving him troubles?

Blog Entries

He's also getting stacked up pretty well by blockers. Happens when you are the #1 defensive weapon out there.

Vs Jets, he had no sacks, but did pretty well in pushing the pocket on several occasions to force a throw or allow someone else to close for the sack.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I know we all have our opinions on their methods, but Pro Football Focus gave him his second-best grade of the year Sunday (best was Week 2 vs. Cle) after giving him his worst of the year against Chicago.

They gave him +2.8 in run defense (best on the team), but just -0.5 pass rush.

He'll be big to bottle up Bell Thursday, but it would be nice if he'd stick Roethlisberger's ass back in his fridge like the good ol' days as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Where has Suggs been the last couple games?
    He has no sacks and seems to be slowed down.
    Is he injured?
    He did injure his foot in practice a few weeks ago. He returned to practice the next day, but it's possible that it could be bothering him a little. While he didn't do much against the Bears, the pass rush was overall pretty bad that day, and he looked pretty effective to me against the Jets on Sunday. It's not all about sacks.

Rockdoctor mentioned previously but Suggs was a surprised "questionable" a few days before the Bears game with a foot injury. Something's not right. It appears he can't push off of it the way he was able to in the past.

Suggs is fine. His sacking the QB is only one dimension where he shines as a defender. He set the edge extremely well on Sunday and caused a little disruption to the Jets passing game (assuming you believe such a creature exists). The problem with playing an offense as putrid at that belonging to the Jets is that there were so many breakdowns that it allowed the entire team to shine on D, thus masking Suggs' strong game a bit.

I'll say this about Suggs. The more his career progresses, the more he seems Canton-worthy to me.

He presently has 93.5 sacks. If he can get up into the 120 range, I think he's approaching lock status. Only 16 players have accumulated 120 sacks. Of those 16, half are in Canton (Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Rickey Jackson, Chris Doleman, John Randle, Richard Dent, Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas). Strahan figures to all but assuredly make 9 this upcoming year or the following. Jason Taylor is a first ballot HOF type guy when he's eligible. Jared Allen has a very strong case, having amassed 122 through his age-31 season, with never having a noteworthy complimentary pass rusher opposite of him.

If you look at the retired 120+ sack guys, only Leslie O'neil, Clyde Simmons, Simeon Rice, and Kevin Greene aren't in Canton. None of those guys were nearly as complete a player as Suggs is. Greene was a one-dimensional sack artist, although extremely good at it. O'neal was the most versatile of the group, compiling over 700 career tackles. I think both of those guys get in eventually, while Simmons and Simeon have little chance.

When you look at Suggs, he has the ring, he has the DPOY trophy, he has the pro bowls (6 counting his near certain one from this year). Most importantly, I think he has the reputation as a dominating, game-altering type player. A lot of the all-time great sack artists impacted the pass game, but few played run defense like Suggs.

Aside from his 2011 DPOY season, this 2013 campaign is neck-and-neck with 2008 as the 2nd best of his career. He's on pace to set a career high in tackles and might still have a chance at breaking his career sack mark as well. I think he's solidly the 4th best Raven of all-time and if he stays moderately healthy for his age 32 and 33 seasons, he's headed to Canton.

Blog Entries

He was pretty disruptive against the Jets, sometimes that doesn't come through in stats

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Suggs is fine. His sacking the QB is only one dimension where he shines as a defender. He set the edge extremely well on Sunday and caused a little disruption to the Jets passing game (assuming you believe such a creature exists). The problem with playing an offense as putrid at that belonging to the Jets is that there were so many breakdowns that it allowed the entire team to shine on D, thus masking Suggs' strong game a bit.

I'll say this about Suggs. The more his career progresses, the more he seems Canton-worthy to me.

He presently has 93.5 sacks. If he can get up into the 120 range, I think he's approaching lock status. Only 16 players have accumulated 120 sacks. Of those 16, half are in Canton (Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Rickey Jackson, Chris Doleman, John Randle, Richard Dent, Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas). Strahan figures to all but assuredly make 9 this upcoming year or the following. Jason Taylor is a first ballot HOF type guy when he's eligible. Jared Allen has a very strong case, having amassed 122 through his age-31 season, with never having a noteworthy complimentary pass rusher opposite of him.

If you look at the retired 120+ sack guys, only Leslie O'neil, Clyde Simmons, Simeon Rice, and Kevin Greene aren't in Canton. None of those guys were nearly as complete a player as Suggs is. Greene was a one-dimensional sack artist, although extremely good at it. O'neal was the most versatile of the group, compiling over 700 career tackles. I think both of those guys get in eventually, while Simmons and Simeon have little chance.

When you look at Suggs, he has the ring, he has the DPOY trophy, he has the pro bowls (6 counting his near certain one from this year). Most importantly, I think he has the reputation as a dominating, game-altering type player. A lot of the all-time great sack artists impacted the pass game, but few played run defense like Suggs.

Aside from his 2011 DPOY season, this 2013 campaign is neck-and-neck with 2008 as the 2nd best of his career. He's on pace to set a career high in tackles and might still have a chance at breaking his career sack mark as well. I think he's solidly the 4th best Raven of all-time and if he stays moderately healthy for his age 32 and 33 seasons, he's headed to Canton.
    Couldn't agree more. People always talk about his cap number, bah, he earns his check. Would love to see him retire a Raven, but I do agree, after Ray, JO, Reed, I think it is safe to say Suggs.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Suggs is fine. His sacking the QB is only one dimension where he shines as a defender. He set the edge extremely well on Sunday and caused a little disruption to the Jets passing game (assuming you believe such a creature exists). The problem with playing an offense as putrid at that belonging to the Jets is that there were so many breakdowns that it allowed the entire team to shine on D, thus masking Suggs' strong game a bit..
    In the previous two games, I don't think he did a very good job of setting the edge, and it hurt the team. It's another mark of a great player that he realized that and fixed it against the Jets.

I agree with the rest of your post; in his first year or two, he was NOT strong against the run, but he worked and vastly improved that aspect - as well as his ability to smell out screens - and coupled with his sacks, he has become clearly a HOF candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    In the previous two games, I don't think he did a very good job of setting the edge, and it hurt the team. It's another mark of a great player that he realized that and fixed it against the Jets.

I agree with the rest of your post; in his first year or two, he was NOT strong against the run, but he worked and vastly improved that aspect - as well as his ability to smell out screens - and coupled with his sacks, he has become clearly a HOF candidate.
    Agree totally in terms of his performance in Chicago. It was the only game this year IMO where he wasn't a plus defensive player for us. Forte got outside too frequently on his side of the field. Overall, he's been great in that realm though. People do not credit Suggs for how intelligent a guy he is.