Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Christie

Blog Entries

Chris Christie

I know a lot of folks are thinking that Ted Cruz is a big possibility for the Republican nominee in 2016, but what about Christie? Two time winner in a blue state, this last time by a landslide. From what I understand he has done a good job getting NJ back on track and he has show that he is willing to work with Dems and Reps to get a job done (Hurricane Sandy).

He is pretty moderate on some issues and pretty conservative on others.

Seems to me that he might be a more viable candidate than a Ted Cruz or a Rand Paul, who might be a bit too extreme in some regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Chris Christie

The right wing is against Christie for his embrace of OBY during the hurricane and his praise of him which put OBY back in front after the convention but the residents called gov't help a disgrace long after it and not getting the assistance they needed as many were still homeless. Homes are still destroyed. The host of Fox's THE FIVE said he's Libertarian but could vote for Christie. I disagree.

It's ironic that OBY was behind until the market crash just one month before the election and he was behind just a month before the election when the hurricane hit and won both elections.

Rush said don't be surprised if Christie runs for the DEMs.

I like what I'm hearing from Cruz who took jabs at
    Rubio for co-authoring the immigration bill but like you say he is moderate on other issues.

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnew...igration-bill/

I think this could be the GOP conservative I could vote
    for but I have to see more of him and investigate everything he said on those moderate views to see if he isn't a RHINO like W and Mitt. Otherwise I'll vote Libertarian again.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Brit Hume was just on Fox and said the same thing I posted above. Conservatives don't trust him because of Sandy. O'Reilley said what was he supposed to do trying to get all that gov't aid? Hume said he over did it and he's gonna need those conservatives to win. Winning NJ with 61% of the vote isn't the same as the rest of the country and his feisty attitude won't work in some states.

Christie went on a national show over the weekend and refused to answer questions about Cruz and Paul apparently afraid to bash them.

He said you're not drawing me into that Wash pitfall. O'Reilley asked then why did he go on a national show to begin with?

Another guy came on and said Christie is the media darling now and their favorite flavor of the month and is out in front at this time.

Tea Partiers say if he's another Romney, they will sit home.
    I never sit home but vote Libertarian. Tea Partiers refer
    to Christie as a true Rhino. Then he said they are the true RHINOS for taking their ball and go home all the time if the candidate doesn't support their views. If they do it again as they probably will, HIlly will win.

On the other hand, if GOP nominates Cruz, the liberals will go home. Christie has to reach out to the Tea Party and speak out to them stressing that he is pro life but differs on other issues. This guy says the Tea Party cannot be as rigid as they are.

That's the ingredient for another DEM victory and he is
    right-on.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-12-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Trap, thanks for your response. You bring up some good points.

However, I'd counter with the fact that one of the biggest complaints about the Obama administration is their inability (and undesire) to actually work with the other side to accomplish anything. For the most part, they're agenda has revolved around doing what they want to do (ACA) and not really listening to the other side at all. When it comes to immigration reform and the budget, Obama can't even get both parties to the table to even try to work together.

When Christie worked with Obama and the Dems in order to get Sandy relief in New Jersey he basically stated one thing loud and clear: He cares more about the citizens of New Jersey than his own political reputation with the GOP.

I've heard multiple New Jersey constituents, both Rep and Dem, say how much that act of bi-partisanship really showed them what kind of a person Christie actually is.

Whether or not the GOP nominates Christie, I'm not sure. However, I think he will be a lot more appealing to a majority of Americans (esp those on the fence, which is a lot) than someone like Ted Cruz. Cruz is viewed by a lot of folks as pretty extreme and for all intents and purposes, he is. I like a lot of the things that Cruz says, but to be honest, most Americans will look at him as another Rick Perry type of candidate. Additionally, Cruz has already demonstrated that he refuses to really try and work with the other side. The gov shutdown was a bad mix of party-politicking, but at the end of the day neither the Cruz-led Tea Party nor the Dems wanted to take a seat and try and fix things until they basically had no choice. In fact, Cruz and the Tea Party would have been perfectly content with sending the American economy into chaos. They had their reasons, but like I said, a majority of Americans probably just aren't really enthused about the idea of having 3 terms in a row of a President who isn't willing to work together with the other party to get things done.

I also completely disagree with you about Christie would be the equivalent of Mitt and a victory for Hillary. In fact, I would argue that a nomination of Cruz or someone of that ilk would be more of a guaranteed victory for the Dems. Christie is conservative on most things, but moderate enough to win the "fence" voters. Christie and Mitt are very different candidates. Christie is an I-Tye (Italian) from Newark, NJ. He grew up during the riots in northern NJ and while his folks weren't dirt poor, they weren't super rich either. That alone will give him a vastly different perspective than Mitt, who's family has always been wealther. Furthermore, Romney is a Mormon, which IMO never sat well with most Americans.

Christie is definitely a bright spot in an otherwise bleak field of GOPers.

Romney ran one of the worst campaigns in modern history. He had Benghazi handed to him and he whiffed. I think people were indifferent about his religion for the most part. I don't think the comparisons between him and Christie are accurate at all. Christie, by all accounts, runs a hell of a campaign and knows the pulse of the people.

Not sure anyone can win in the GOP. It's so fractured and polarized right now I cannot see them fielding anyone worth a damn and winning next election.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Christie is definitely a bright spot in an otherwise bleak field of GOPers.

Romney ran one of the worst campaigns in modern history. He had Benghazi handed to him and he whiffed. I think people were indifferent about his religion for the most part. I don't think the comparisons between him and Christie are accurate at all. Christie, by all accounts, runs a hell of a campaign and knows the pulse of the people.

Not sure anyone can win in the GOP. It's so fractured and polarized right now I cannot see them fielding anyone worth a damn and winning next election.
    I disagree HR.

I think that a strong candidate like Christie could help the GOP win. The Dems don't really have a strong candidate right now at all. Hillary? She is probably the most recognized candidate that they have, but she has health issues and the Benghazi thing is going to weigh heavily on her. She had her shot in 2008. Martin O'Malley? Not many outside of Maryland really know who he even is and I think a lot of Americans would have a problem with his history of taxing the crap out of Maryland citizens.

I do agree with you that the GOP is super fractured. I think that if they put a radical player up there, like a Cruz, then they'll definitely lose to someone like Hillary. However, a candidate like Christie? I think he could generate a lot of backing by moderate Republicans as well as on-the-fence voters.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I disagree HR.

I think that a strong candidate like Christie could help the GOP win. The Dems don't really have a strong candidate right now at all. Hillary? She is probably the most recognized candidate that they have, but she has health issues and the Benghazi thing is going to weigh heavily on her. She had her shot in 2008. Martin O'Malley? Not many outside of Maryland really know who he even is and I think a lot of Americans would have a problem with his history of taxing the crap out of Maryland citizens.
    She already getting a free pass from the press on Benghazi. That's not going to be an issue. But I am not arguing that she's a strong candidate. Rather, the GOP is such a mess right now they won't be able to beat anyone the Dems throw up.

I do agree with you that the GOP is super fractured. I think that if they put a radical player up there, like a Cruz, then they'll definitely lose to someone like Hillary. However, a candidate like Christie? I think he could generate a lot of backing by moderate Republicans as well as on-the-fence voters.
    But that's where the problem is for the GOP. It's so fractured AND polarized right now, it's a catch-22. Throw up a moderate, you lose the social conservatives and you don't win. Throw up a conservative, and you lose the moderates. Neither side is willing to bend at the moment. And I don't see Christie being the one to mend that fence. He's already on record being hostiles towards GOP conservatives, he's not particularly a friend of the 2A crowd and he's a bit wishy washy on gay marriage.

He's the hot guy right now. That much is certain.

Blog Entries

Ive never had much issue with christie. I wouldnt know his stance on some issues as of now but Id probably vote for him, though anything NJ is pretty much a bad idea, imo. (kidding)

I think whats going against him is the way he looks. seems shallow but just like back when Kennedy gained once the debates were televised it does go into ones thought. He doesnt "look the part" as a president. Wouldnt change my vote necessarily but president is taxing even for those that are in good shape. Age has been a factor in past elections for the same reason. i dont think weve had an "obese" president since Taft. maybe thats coincidence and im putting far too much into it, but i think its an issue of some degree for him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Chris Christie is a steaming piling of RINO. No thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    She already getting a free pass from the press on Benghazi. That's not going to be an issue. But I am not arguing that she's a strong candidate. Rather, the GOP is such a mess right now they won't be able to beat anyone the Dems throw up.

But that's where the problem is for the GOP. It's so fractured AND polarized right now, it's a catch-22. Throw up a moderate, you lose the social conservatives and you don't win. Throw up a conservative, and you lose the moderates. Neither side is willing to bend at the moment. And I don't see Christie being the one to mend that fence. He's already on record being hostiles towards GOP conservatives, he's not particularly a friend of the 2A crowd and he's a bit wishy washy on gay marriage.

He's the hot guy right now. That much is certain.
    I don't know that I'd say he is wishy-washy on gay marriage. I watched an interview of his where he specifcally stated that he was against it, but then quickly acknowledged that was because of his religious convictions. He also stated that was a topic he'd rather see the entire population of New Jersey vote on in a referendum.

I don't think that is a wishy-washy view at all. In fact, I think that is the right way to think about it.

Again though, I firmly believe that social issues should not be the governing voice for voting...unfortunatley a majority of Americans cast their votes on social issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Chris Christie is a steaming piling of RINO. No thanks.
    What's wrong with a moderate Republican?

As evidenced by the 2012 campaign, the Republican Party - as a whole - is not really all that interested in presenting a "true" conservative on the ballot.

They're not of the mindset that a Ron Paul or someone like that can actually win.

I think that the important thing for the GOP to strongly consider is who is going to get the most done while in office? One of the biggest complaints about Obama is his unwillingness to work with the other side to really accomplish anything. At least with Christie, you know he is going to try and work together and get Congress to work together to get things done.

That, IMO, is something that is vitally important for the President to be able to do. Lead by example.

Blog Entries

What's wrong with a moderate Republican?
    Why not just vote for a democrat?

As evidenced by the 2012 campaign, the Republican Party - as a whole - is not really all that interested in presenting a "true" conservative on the ballot.
    Not entirely true. A) There wasn't one B) The closest one wasn't a good candidate. C) Name the last moderate republican to win (remember GW was put up as a conservative and pretty much ran as one)

They're not of the mindset that a Ron Paul or someone like that can actually win.
    That's their problem. They need to stop worrying about what other people will vote for. That's how we got Romney (a moderate republican). I'm not sure if Santorum or Gingrich would have won, but they would have gone after the areas Obama was weak instead of that being their weak point too.

I think that the important thing for the GOP to strongly consider is who is going to get the most done while in office? One of the biggest complaints about Obama is his unwillingness to work with the other side to really accomplish anything. At least with Christie, you know he is going to try and work together and get Congress to work together to get things done.

That, IMO, is something that is vitally important for the President to be able to do. Lead by example.
    After Obamacare goes into full effect and people can't afford the new premiums cause a) they are too expensive and b) thier hours have been reduced to part-time no one is going to give a shit about working together. They're going to want someone who they believe will do what they say.