Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: OT - Is Anyone Following What's Happening in Atlanta?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No one does. Currently fans go to the game on MARTA or driving and then they immediately leave and go home. There is no revenue form hotels, restaurants and the like. Their plan on the new stadium is to make it a destination where people will stay and spend money
    Lived there for 7 years and where they want to put the new stadium will be an absolute nightmare on traffic. It's beyond crazy now and has been since the late 90s... I don't get it.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Lived there for 7 years and where they want to put the new stadium will be an absolute nightmare on traffic. It's beyond crazy now and has been since the late 90s... I don't get it.
    I agree that it's a bad location. They say they're going to build out infrastructure and make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No one does. Currently fans go to the game on MARTA or driving and then they immediately leave and go home. There is no revenue form hotels, restaurants and the like. Their plan on the new stadium is to make it a destination where people will stay and spend money
    That's their plan. Whether or not it becomes a destination outside of its utility as a ballpark is a whole other story. They'll need private investors (i.e. businesses) wanting to move in, and we're talking about a ground up operation because it's in the suburbs. We're not talking about it being downtown with organic infrastructure already existing at the time the stadium is built (which is what the case was with Baltimore). We're talking about a vacant lot being built up to mimic a downtown like atmosphere, except it's in the suburbs and surrounded by concrete parking lots. Those type of developments are often either boom or bust.

It does make a little more sense for a baseball team (with 81+ home games) than a football team (with only 10+ home games), but still, there's a lot of risk to the businesses given the off-season and off-days.

I still can't get over the fact that they'll be tearing down a 21 year old stadium with every modern amenity and bell and whistle just so they can build a new stadium with all the same modern amenities and bells and whistles, except with a $450 million bill to the public. Some sports teams need new stadiums. The Braves (and Falcons for that matter) do not.

Blog Entries

they showed a heat map of ticket buyers and they're all north of the loop in the area I mentioned. Marta doesn't serve this area so there is no need to deal with that. But the area where they're building the stadium has a lot of hotels already and there will be more added plus restaurants, etc. It will be a lot better than going to the hood, which is where they go now but I agree they really don't NEED a new stadium.

Since it's not in the city of Atlanta, I wonder if the county residents will be asked to fork over more taxes to support it. Somebody has their hand out...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!