Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Flacco and His Clock Management

I should say his lack of clock management.

I noticed something towards the end of the game, around the 2:45 mark of 4Q, and I went back and watched the game again and confirmed it.

Joe was horrible with his clock management when they had their last possession in regulation. On three separate occasions, the ball was snapped with anywhere from 10-15 seconds left on the play clock. Keep in mind, the Bengals could not stop the clock at this point. By my count, Joe gave the Bengals, conservatively, 35 seconds of extra time because he didn't take the play clock down to at least 5 seconds. No way the Bengals should have had their last possession, let alone go into overtime.

Very disappointing and just another feather in the cap of this dreadful offense in general this season.

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco and His Clock Management

Problem is he's so down to earth, that he bought a TIMEX instead of a ROLEX, so his timing is off a bit... Bc

iggyman555 Guest

dont u dare talk bad about joey montaflaco like that

I think you may be misremembering a bit. The times where we were questionably snapping without running the full play clock occurred in our 2nd-to-last drive, before the 4 minute mark and while Cincy had all their TOs.

The last drive of regulation consisted of 3 runs for us followed by an immediate TO by Cincy each time. Then a punt.

But on the 2nd-to-last drive, I too noticed this. But the way it worked out, I am not so sure it mattered. To some degree you are always flirting in such situations between leaving the opposition not enough time to score (goal), and leaving yourself not enough time to score after your opposition scores (possible negative consequence of failed goal).

I still think it was the wrong thing to do, but mainly because had we kicked a FG to make it a two score game on our 2nd-to-last drive, the lower the clock the better by far, i.e. who cares how much time is left after Cincy scores once, since they would need to score twice.

Agree - this is poor clock mgt. Note: why aren't the coaches watching (screaming?) and correcting this in between plays?

Joe has done this throughout his career. There are just some very very basic and obvious things this team/coach overlooks.... He did it in the Superbowl too... If I remember correctly he left close to 25-35 sec. on the clock in that last drive during the SB. Yesterday too.

It's just terrible game management. At the very least you'd think the coach would be in his headset on the ver next play telling him to wait until 2 sec. on the play clock before snapping....

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think you may be misremembering a bit. The times where we were questionably snapping without running the full play clock occurred in our 2nd-to-last drive, before the 4 minute mark and while Cincy had all their TOs.

The last drive of regulation consisted of 3 runs for us followed by an immediate TO by Cincy each time. Then a punt.

But on the 2nd-to-last drive, I too noticed this. But the way it worked out, I am not so sure it mattered. To some degree you are always flirting in such situations between leaving the opposition not enough time to score, and leaving yourself not enough time to score after your opposition scores.

I still think it was the wrong thing to do, but mainly because had we kicked a FG to make it a two score game (on our 2nd-to-last drive, the lower the clock the better by far, i.e. who cares how much time is left after Cincy scores once, since they would need to score twice).
    No, the second to last drive in regulation was the Flacco fumble.

The last drive was indeed three runs and a punt, but the Bengals had zero time outs. The drive took a total of 23 seconds off the clock when it should have taken, at least, a full minute off the clock.

It was the 2nd to last drive. This is a coaching issue. The Ravens have always done this and this is the coach. If the coach wants him to run the clock down he needs to tell him to run it down. Harbaugh has always been questionable with clock management.

Blog Entries

Wasn't the game clock stopped on those plays? Play clock is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Wasn't the game clock stopped on those plays? Play clock is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Game clock was running too

Probably learned it from his head coach. He hasn't always been the most stellar in that are either.

I hadn't noticed this until people are started pointing it out. Agree. Either Joe's football IQ is not where it should be given this is his 6th year or the coaches simply not emphasizing the need to run the clock down when necessary. It's a failure on both fronts and frankly very surprising.