Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wildcat

Re: Wildcat

ok so lets stick with the zbs and get the same results
    Unfortunately it looks like that is what the Ravens are going to do. I don't like it as much as anyone else. The big thing about the ZBS is that it requires a lot of communication between players on the line on the calls and blocks and we aren't seeing that from the Ravens. It's supposed to get better as the season goes on, and, honestly, we have seen some moderate improvement. I hold out hope that our players finally click in the system in the stretch for the playoffs.

Blog Entries

If you watched Stanford beat Oregon the other night, you saw man blocking at it's finest by Stanford. They must've ran the same play 40 times but Oregon couldn't stop it.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I saw this thread earlier in the day, but now that I've thought about it: one of the few things that's given us a little extra seam on running plays this season is the use of the fake end-around action. It's a look that makes the defense take just an instant to evaluate, and when we've used it, there has been just a wee bit more room to run.

If they keep with this goof-ball blocking scheme, then they will need some type of gimmick - some misdirection, eye candy, or something else to account for in the running game.

What this O line needs is not a wildcat formation, but a running QB at all times -- the threat of which forces the D to "account for" the QB in the running game, slows down the LBs a little and makes the defense worry a little more about containment. A running QB would surely help paper over the O lines deficiencies.

Going with the odd wildcat play is a dead giveaway we're running, and would negate its usefulness. Sure, TT could throw the ball, but defenses now are daring FLACCO to throw the ball, so you would have to assume they'll double dog dare Taylor to throw it.

That said, I'm not sure TT isn't the most effective runner on the roster right now, with the way Rice and Pierce seem to be banged up every week. No way we see him though. No way to really get him in the game other than at QB, and that's not something I'm all that comfortable with. TT can be effective for about a series. He can move the chains a bit, IMHO. But even then I'd only want him in there for that series if Flacco was shaken up or something. I don't like it as a tactical switch up, even though I do think it might be effective. I'd still rather see Flacco out there, with our old blocking scheme, without the training wheels, etc. etc. etc................

Getting Tyrod in there a couple plays a game (with Flacco lined up way way wide just to take a CB out of the play) can't hurt. Why not? at the worst a couple yards .. for 2 plays a game?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Oh, I totally get that. But 10 plays with Tyrod taking the snap are 10 less plays with Flacco taking the snap, and the Ravens are a much worse team in those 10 snaps. Tyrod isn't actually that good of a runner outside of QB scrambles and he can't pass the football at an NFL level.

The Wildcat is a bad package and it's even worse when you have an OL that doesn't run block well and doesn't communicate well. I also don't see how it helps your run game at all... there's no connection between running the ball out of the wildcat and running the ball better overall.

I understood your point, but I disagree with it and it disappoints me because NFL offenses need to just go out and play NFL football and be better. The Wildcat is what you run when you don't have a QB, like the Dolphins a few years ago or the Jets right now.
    :word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

fuck the wildcat, shotgun spread, no huddle stack, bunch formations quick slants, we don't have much to attack the middle of the field, but the wildcat won't work here.