Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

They can find a structure that works. If last year is any indication, the price of a LT is actually coming down (but, we'll see if that carries through).

Remember, they can remove Ngata after 2014, so they'll have a bit more flexibility in 2015. They just need to structure a number for 2014 that fits within their Cap.

As far as signing him now, that's unlikely to happen for a couple of reasons:

1. As Houston mentioned, he's unlikely to want to at this point - wait until Feb when the pressure is more on the Ravens to get something done

2. Most importantly, they don't really have enough present Cap space to take on any proration from a bonus paid this year. So, any bonus - even guaranteed - would have to come next year, so again, why bother?

(that said, I'll have to look it up, there used to be a deadline, after which any signing bonus was not prorated into the current year and would only start hitting in the following year, so I guess it could come later)
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

would they consider slapping him with the transition tag? I don't know why teams rarely use that...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    would they consider slapping him with the transition tag? I don't know why teams rarely use that...
    With the new way of calculating the Tags, the difference between the two isn't that substantial (generally between $1-2M), so it generally makes sense to go with Franchise and protect yourself more.

Last year, for OL the Franchise tag was $9,828,000, while the Transition Tag was just a little over $1M less at $8,709,000.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I voted for Monroe, but not Pitta. Do we have any reason to believe he will come back 100%? Any reports on his rehab?
    Me too. LT is one of the hardest positions to fill. While I do like Pitta, I'd rather sign him to a one-year deal, and see if he's healthy, than gamble on a multi-year contract.
    Plus we've already invested 2014 4th/5th round draft choices into Monroe... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Me too. LT is one of the hardest positions to fill. While I do like Pitta, I'd rather sign him to a one-year deal, and see if he's healthy, than gamble on a multi-year contract.

I think there's a very good chance that Pitta is back on a 1-year deal. From his perspective, the only way he's going to get the contract he was expecting is to play next year and prove he's healthy and deserving.

I just don't see anyone offering him the long term deal he was likely to get and I don't see him accepting a lesser long term deal and locking himself into a deal that may be substandard if he proves he's healthy again.

So, a 1-year $2Mish deal - like his present RFA deal - with incentives (perhaps) makes sense for both sides.

Blog Entries

He might not want to stay after seeing this fiasco.

His first words upon arriving were probably something like "OH SHIT."

Blog Entries
    Monroe is worth every damn penny, and it's a LT damn it. LTs are as hard as QBs to find. Monroe has been a rock since getting here. Pitta is a different story, the Ravens have more leverage with him. With that said, if we can get both signed, it would be a good start to the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He might not want to stay after seeing this fiasco.

His first words upon arriving were probably something like "OH SHIT."
    I doubt it. He came from Jacksonville...
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Locking up Monroe must be a priority. And if we can get Oher resigned for a reasonable amount I'd be happy too. Whilst he's undoubtedly had his moments, he's not been a complete disaster this season and until Monroe arrived was our best lineman to date.

In the offseason the obvious need is Centre. If we can get someone decent in, I think Yanda gets back to his usual standards. Add in a healthy KO and we'd have a solid O Line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Happy bank account, happier wife
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I doubt it. He came from Jacksonville...
    Good point but he can land somewhere even better next year w/o all this turmoil. He'll be in demand as the top young LT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Good point but he can land somewhere even better next year w/o all this turmoil. He'll be in demand as the top young LT.
    We just won a SB, I doubt he's going to look at this team and think he can do better else where just because we're having an off year. Its hardly as bad as what some around here are claiming it to be either. Before Manning signed with Denver, they were a joke. KC were the worst team in football last year, and are still undefeated this year. Things can change quickly in the NFL, and with an FO like ours, I'm pretty sure this is simply an off year.