Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

Yea, and Grubbs was drafted and developed here and he bolted.

Monroe has no allegiance here and when has Ozzie locked anyone up early? It would be great to do it now but it just ain't Ozzie's style, one of his major weaknesses.

He could have signed Joe for a fraction of what he did had he locked him up before the contract expired and that's what Joe's agent said.

If someone like NO, NE or GB wants him and makes an offer Monroe can't refuse, he'll leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Assuming Eugene Monroe is worth the money and can protect Flacco for years, they HAVE to sign him. Otherwise, they completely threw 4th and 5th round picks out the window. Compensatory picks at the end of both rounds won't make up for what could up be early mid round picks based on the Ravens record.
    Exactly this.

Fast-forward to March. Monroe has just signed with CLE (who has $25M in cap and is very likely going to kick Schwartz inside from RT) and there Ozzie sits in his office with Eric and Harbs.

"Damn. Not only did I not get a deal done for Eugene, not only did he sign within the division, but I can't believe that I pissed away a 4th and 5th to boot!"

C'mon now guys. Monroe is going to be a Raven for a quite awhile.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I think they have every intention of re-signing him, have expressed that to him and will do so when they can. It's just that right now, the Cap really doesn't allow it.

That said, if they have to, I also think they will use the franchise tag to not let him get away.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

It should be noted that Monroe's wife is from here and that made coming here a plus for them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yanda was also drafted by the Ravens and was here for many years before he had the chance to go elsewhere. That's not the case with Monroe
    That was more aimed at someone suggesting that the reason Grubbs left wasn't really to do with money and more to do with us being a defense first team, yet Yanda stayed with us.

Who knows what will happen with Monroe, but I will say that Ozzie has never given up picks for a one year rental.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was more aimed at someone suggesting that the reason Grubbs left wasn't really to do with money and more to do with us being a defense first team, yet Yanda stayed with us.

Who knows what will happen with Monroe, but I will say that Ozzie has never given up picks for a one year rental.
    That's not true.

Josh Wilson.

However, he had no desire to sign with the Ravens at all when he got the opportunity to play with his boyhood favorite team.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    It should be noted that Monroe's wife is from here and that made coming here a plus for them.
    That may be a slight advantage for Baltimore, but if a west coast team offers him a million bucks more a year to play there, then IMO the Monroes will be singing "California Here I Come" ... Bc

Blog Entries

Exactly, she'll have some influence but money still talks as far as Monroe is concerned.

Good point by Ravor that Oz can't sign him now because of the cap. I forgot about the cap. Ravor's point really ends the discussion. Ozzie can't sign him now. Ravens are always close to the cap ceiling which is how they win Super Bowls.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's not true.

Josh Wilson.

However, he had no desire to sign with the Ravens at all when he got the opportunity to play with his boyhood favorite team.
    Yeah but wasn't it for like a 7th rd pick?

Blog Entries

Yeah but wasn't it for like a 7th rd pick?
    Conditional 5th that IIRC bumped up to a 4th because Wilson started pretty much every game at corner after that first week.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Conditional 5th that IIRC bumped up to a 4th because Wilson started pretty much every game at corner after that first week.
    Wow, I'm surprised we gave up that high a pick for an average corner.

Wow, I'm surprised we gave up that high a pick for an average corner.
    Not the first time.

Who can forget Kevin Johnson. Or Fabian Washington. Or Lee Evans. All for 4th round picks. It's happened before and it is what it is...those players sans Evans still helped out at least a little though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.