Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2014 offseason thread

I think they're prepping to throw another year away on Castillo's Folly. Because "The ZBS cannot fail, it can only be failed"--by incompetent or recalcitrant linemen. Not sure if Yanda was the face of the mini-"revolt" but if so, they'll move him somehow; then they'll draft a bunch of kids who'll keep their mouths shut & follow orders...& maybe, by the end of 2014, they'll have a decent OL. Of course by that time Flacco is odds-on to be living in an ICU...

As for WRs, we've had a whole slew of them come through in the last 5 years, & the only ones who could ever get separation are them as already knew how when they signed here. Either they're drafting players who can't learn how--which is partially on the coaching staff for not being able to tell--or the staff is incompetent to teach them how. The logical move is to fire Hostler & his underlings & bring in someone who actually can coach WRs. Of course that will never happen, because around hear coaches can't fail, they can only be failed by the players...

Blog Entries

I've never been real big on Hostler.

The Ravens haven't been great at drafting receivers, but they've drafted a lot of receivers over the years and Hostler has never really been able to develop any of them outside of Torrey Smith.

Just doesn't seem like there is a really good return on investment there IMO...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I said this last year and it rang true, were fixated on our own flaws and failing to see that other teams have their own as well. Our flaws ended up being less than other teams then which may not be the case this year but is still possible. Our biggest flaw is the OL, without question. Our biggest problem is not winning close games despite that flaw. Outside the Broncos (which even then we led at halftime) we were in every single game this year. Other teams have their flaws too and I think its a lot more likely to fix our issues enough to turn those close losses into wins than to say fix the entire OL and eliminate the flaw. You fixate on one thing the team looks a lot worse than they really are. I dont think its time to talk off season yet, personally. we were 2.5 back and were still 2.5 back and i see a flawed Cincy team thats just as capable of losing 3 more games than us over the next 8 weeks. we lose to Cincy next week, that would be a much closer indication to the end of the season than this past week, imo.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I think they're prepping to throw another year away on Castillo's Folly.
    Say it ain't so, lo ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Our biggest flaw is the OL, without question. Our biggest problem is not winning close games despite that flaw. Outside the Broncos (which even then we led at halftime) we were in every single game this year. Other teams have their flaws too and I think its a lot more likely to fix our issues enough to turn those close losses into wins than to say fix the entire OL and eliminate the flaw. You fixate on one thing the team looks a lot worse than they really are. I dont think its time to talk off season yet, personally. we were 2.5 back and were still 2.5 back and i see a flawed Cincy team thats just as capable of losing 3 more games than us over the next 8 weeks. we lose to Cincy next week, that would be a much closer indication to the end of the season than this past week, imo.
    :word

No doubt. Despite the O line's horrible problems, there are still a host of little things doing us in every game, and it's a lot easier to stamp out those little fires. They ditched Huff because he didn't stay in his coverage lane on ST's. Last game we gave away 7 pts on a dropped punt. Every week it's some stupid, simple little thing, on 1 or 2 plays here and there, that would turn the game DESPITE the horrible O line and despite the lack of Pitta/Boldin to throw to.

If the team could improve its quality control across the board, it would be winning just about every week, despite the major gaping flaws it has.

Its no accident that the Bucs nearly beat the Seahawks this week. Every team, like you say, has its flaws. Every game should be close in the NFL because there are few teams with significant aggregate talent advantages. It's what you do in terms of the little things -- holding a block an extra second out on the edge, or staying home when a play breaks to the back side.

In the last game, Joe got sacked on a 3rd and 15 when we were in long FG range. Instead of trying to get the whole 15 on a slow developing pass play against what is surely going to be a blitz that we are just as surely not going to pick up, we could have called a draw or screen, picked up 7 yards and had an easier FG. Would have changed the game. Little things. Lots of little things win games. In the Ravens case, it's a FEW little things that could win games. They're not doing those few little things. But they definitely COULD.

In short, the O line and TE/receiver situation is what it is and can't be "fixed" in the short term, but the "losing games" part of it all still CAN be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I've never been real big on Hostler.

The Ravens haven't been great at drafting receivers, but they've drafted a lot of receivers over the years and Hostler has never really been able to develop any of them outside of Torrey Smith.

Just doesn't seem like there is a really good return on investment there IMO...
    Not that many and except from Torrey none 1-2 second rounds draft pick. after Clayton was drafted.

It was never easy developing WRs under Cam! We only used two of them and both of them were vets like Mason, Clayton and Boldin... until Torrey.

And now this season is really the first test for the WR-coach, so fare it seems that he has been doing a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    You can't live up to expectations when the team does not build around you. Look at Ryan. His stats and game have fallen off dramatically now that he is in same situation as Flacco. Brady struggled until he got Gronkowski back healthy this past weekend. For years this team was built around the run. From a personnel standpoint this team is still built to be a running team. They team did not go out and get Joe any weapons this off season. The team was going with Pitta and Smith and a bunch of question marks. When Pitta went down the offense was doomed. They brought back Leach and tried to be a power running team again. Until the team is built around the QB, like they do in GB, NWE, Atlanta, Denver and Indy the offense will continue to struggle.

On another note, I would like to see the team use 2014 to do a roster purge. If possible they should unload Suggs, Ngata, Leach, McLain, JJ, and Rice. Not sign Dickson, Oher, Ihedigbo and Cody. Go young and cheap. Try and sign Pitta and Monroe to long term reasonable contracts. Clear the books up for 2015 and beyond. Bring in some vets on the minimum and build through the draft. Also overhaul the coaching staff. Don't want to be this years Steelers next year. Get some young hungry players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The ravens did have weapons in Pitta and Torrey hence the need to not go out and get them.
    I'm glad you're not the GM because the suggestion to unload Ngata, Suggs and Rice is not realistic. Your roster thoughts suggest blowing it up and if we were to do that we would be this year's steelers for the next 3-4 years. I don't this fan base is patient enough to endure that kind of rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I said this last year and it rang true, were fixated on our own flaws and failing to see that other teams have their own as well. Our flaws ended up being less than other teams then which may not be the case this year but is still possible. Our biggest flaw is the OL, without question. Our biggest problem is not winning close games despite that flaw. Outside the Broncos (which even then we led at halftime) we were in every single game this year. Other teams have their flaws too and I think its a lot more likely to fix our issues enough to turn those close losses into wins than to say fix the entire OL and eliminate the flaw. You fixate on one thing the team looks a lot worse than they really are. I dont think its time to talk off season yet, personally. we were 2.5 back and were still 2.5 back and i see a flawed Cincy team thats just as capable of losing 3 more games than us over the next 8 weeks. we lose to Cincy next week, that would be a much closer indication to the end of the season than this past week, imo.
    Good post. The entire thread was a knee jerk reaction to begin with but I guess that's part of being of the fun in posting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 : ... Go young and cheap. Try and sign Pitta and Monroe to long term reasonable contracts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young and cheap? Pitta will be 29 (June 2014). Monroe will be 27, and IIRC will be an UFA.
    So Pitta may come "cheap" but is not young, while Monroe (LT) will have youth on his side but won't come cheap... Bc

Blog Entries

Isn't there one of these "short" power forward basketball players (6'5" 240-260 lbs) that the Ravens can get to play TE? The I am wtching guys like Graham, Cameron, Gates, and even guys like Reed with the Redskins and the guy the Broncos have and wondering why the Ravens can't get a guy like that.

Would the Ravens be interested in a player like Demetrius Harris as a TE?

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...s-uw-milwaukee

I know the Ravens brought in a basketball player for a workout earlier this year, and he didn't pan out. I would like to see Ozzie go try that approach again.
    Last edited by Dirt1; 11-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Isn't there one of these "short" power forward basketball players (6'5" 240-260 lbs) that the Ravens can get to play TE? The I am wtching guys like Graham, Cameron, Gates, and even guys like Reed with the Redskins and the guy the Broncos have and wondering why the Ravens can't get a guy like that.

Would the Ravens be interested in a player like Demetrius Harris as a TE?

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...s-uw-milwaukee

I know the Ravens brought in a basketball player for a workout earlier this year, and he didn't pan out. I would like to see Ozzie go try that approach again.
    Well, Jordan Reed I don't think played college BBall...he was there in the draft as someone I really, really liked as he looked physically as an Aaron Hernandez clone.

As for your real point though, I would hope we are utilizing some significant resources towards looking for those types of guys. I know the Eagles for example have an extra scout whose sole purpose is to scour college basketball for guys who may not be NBA material, but have those translatable skills to be able to play football.

I hope we are doing the same...I agree with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Chances of hitting the lottery on a power forward turned TE is one in a thousand.

Even Jimmy Graham played a season of major conference football at Miami, and flashed enough production and big play potential to be an intriguing draft prospect.

Unfortunately, I don't think the next great Ravens TE is going to be available for at least another season. The 2014 draft class is top heavy with inconsistent "athletes" and "specimens" like Jace Amaro (who isn't really a TE but a slot WR, albeit a really good one, albeit in the un-NFL-like "Air Raid" offense) and Eric Ebron, who may not be much more than another Ed Dickson when it's all said and done.

There are no Grahams, Gates's or Gronks in this draft class that I can see.

There aren't many combo blocking/receiving TE's in general any more, it seems. The Wittens and Heaps are a very rare breed, seemingly more so these days.