Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prisco on the Ravens troubles

He discusses offensive issues in specifics. IMO the problem is more general in nature. Too many changes at the same time. A football team is a finely tuned instrument and to play well everyone has to be on the same page and understand what their job is in relation to everyone else on each play. That is why they practice so much. With all of the turnover, changes and some injuries it has not come together and at this point it likely won't in time to make this another playoff season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-taking-a-toll

Re: Prisco on the Ravens troubles

If the zone blocking scheme is obviously the problem and players have came out and said they are not comfy with it, then why are they still using it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
    He discusses offensive issues in specifics. IMO the problem is more general in nature. Too many changes at the same time. A football team is a finely tuned instrument and to play well everyone has to be on the same page and understand what their job is in relation to everyone else on each play. That is why they practice so much. With all of the turnover, changes and some injuries it has not come together and at this point it likely won't in time to make this another playoff season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-taking-a-toll
    Good points. Thats the difference in close losses not being close wins which this team was capable of last year, even with OL problems and deficiencies on defense. id agree with you.
    -JAB

Something I noticed watching the 22 film and Prisco touches on it...

Teams are showing a shocking amount of disrespect for our passing game.

I mean we are splitting guys out and going 3-4 wide, yet teams are still stacking the box and going single high the vast majority of the time.

The fact that we aren't eating that alive is enormously disappointing and it falls on everybody.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I mean we are splitting guys out and going 3-4 wide, yet teams are still stacking the box and going single high the vast majority of the time.

The fact that we aren't eating that alive is enormously disappointing and it falls on everybody.
    I noticed that too and it is disappointing that we can't exploit that. Trading away Boldin and losing Pitta to injuries has really exposed our offense. We don't use the middle of the field the way we use too. Pitta really use to soften up that coverage and allow Torrey to take the top of it. Now Torrey is getting bracketed every game.

I agree. Even when we see the long throws from Joe, we usually see our receiver wide open, but Joe can't hit him in stride...either he can't step into his throw, or he is just off on that play.

If the ills on the Oline were fixed, I believe it would be the catalyst for the entire team doing better...
    Running game would improve, which helps the passing game, especially on play action, which would sustain many more drives, resulting in more points...less time for the defense to be on the field...decreasing points against, plus that would help the defense in the 4th quarter since they wouldn't be gassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I agree. Even when we see the long throws from Joe, we usually see our receiver wide open, but Joe can't hit him in stride...either he can't step into his throw, or he is just off on that play.

If the ills on the Oline were fixed, I believe it would be the catalyst for the entire team doing better...
    Running game would improve, which helps the passing game, especially on play action, which would sustain many more drives, resulting in more points...less time for the defense to be on the field...decreasing points against, plus that would help the defense in the 4th quarter since they wouldn't be gassed.
    That's the key with elite QBs. Build a solid and stable oline and they can throw to anyone. Same goes for RBs. Denver constantly trotted out 1000 yard rushers not because they had an eye for RBs but because they had a great, stable oline.

oh but you see we do eat that alive 2 or 3 times a game and it's normally torrey coming on a crossing pattern. Our scheme to get players open quick is abysmal. It's a joke, torrey catches a pass and takes it for 30 yac, then we might never see it again. Routes are to slow to develop

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    That's the key with elite QBs. Build a solid and stable oline and they can throw to anyone. Same goes for RBs. Denver constantly trotted out 1000 yard rushers not because they had an eye for RBs but because they had a great, stable oline.
    Aaron Rodgers (elite) seemed to do OK with his crappy O-Line for a while now.

Thing is, Flacco isn't elite. He had a great playoff run last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    Aaron Rodgers (elite) seemed to do OK with his crappy O-Line for a while now. Thing is, Flacco isn't elite. He had a great playoff run last year.
    I agree with your assessment, but there's more to it than Rodgers is better than Flacco.
    In his 8 years in Green Bay, how many Super Bowls has he been to and won? Heck, Peyton Manning has 14 seasons under his belt with two SB appearances (one victory). Yes, Joe may need more talent surrounding him than those elite QBs, but he's already shown he's capable of taking the Ravens to the ultimate victory. I'm glad Joe Flacco is our QB, and years from now we'll be saying his was a great era to have been a Ravens fan... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    Aaron Rodgers (elite) seemed to do OK with his crappy O-Line for a while now.

Thing is, Flacco isn't elite. He had a great playoff run last year.
    Aaron Rodgers is the only QB that could play at such a level with poor offensive line performance. Ben used to be able to do it, but Ben is punch drunk now. That doesn't not make Flacco elite. That make Rodgers the king of the hill.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Aaron Rodgers is the only QB that could play at such a level with poor offensive line performance. Ben used to be able to do it, but Ben is punch drunk now. That doesn't not make Flacco elite. That make Rodgers the king of the hill.
    If things continue they way they have with the offensive line, Joe will be punch drunk as well. Bear in mind that Joe is not nearly as elusive as Ben used to be.