Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Dolphins tackle leaves team over prank

Sounds like he has been bullied for a long time and finally snapped.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Slow burn man. Slow burn. This is an odd story but not funny at all. If he had come back and emptied a few clips in the film room then we'd be reading those familiar statements of "nice guy", "...no signs that anything was wrong", and "...just guys having fun." Who the hell knows what goes on in a man's head?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Slow burn man. Slow burn. This is an odd story but not funny at all. If he had come back and emptied a few clips in the film room then we'd be reading those familiar statements of "nice guy", "...no signs that anything was wrong", and "...just guys having fun." Who the hell knows what goes on in a man's head?
    Most accurate post yet. I feel bad for the guy. Hopefully he can come back to help others.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/j...too-far-110113

Brendon Ayanbedejo weighs in with some insight. I don't think the "thick skin" mentality is limited to football. There is STILL a big stigma in this country around psychological/psychiatric issues. Things like when people are on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds, people assume that you're all crazed or a ticking time bomb that can go off at any moment. Certainly, in an NFL locker room, that is going to be compounded.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    How do you bully a 6'5", 320 lb man exactly?
    Psychologically or emotionally, or if you're Bryant Mckinnie you can just sit on him. It's probably Mckinnie's fault.

Dolphins tackle leaves team over prank

I don't agree with that article that Scally linked to.

There's a difference between good natured hazing and bullying.

If he flipped out over a few pranks that all players receive as a rookie, that tells me he has more issues than the average player. This warrants it's own examination and should be dealt with separately from the normal hazing that goes on. Nothing I've read thus far tells me he was bullied and the pranks seem very pedestrian. Granted, he isn't a rookie so he's earned rite of passage.

Also, he has an obligation to speak up. Hard to change the dynamic if nobody knows that it's bothering you.

Think back to Hard Knocks with the Ravens. Rookies had to sing their college fight songs on demand, carry around others players equipment, etc. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Can you imagine Todd Heap storming out of Westminster after being told he had to sing the ASU fight song?
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 11-02-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Blog Entries

If you watched Hard Knocks though, there was some of the stuff Ayanbedejo described, when it came to rookies who didn't voluntarily do the hazing stuff. At least two guys were wrapped and dumped in an ice tub. One guy was tied to a goal post and sprayed down with water. Now, i do agree with you about the stuff like the rookie talent show and carrying pads being nothing bad, and if a guy refuses to do that stuff, it's a show of disrespect and that should be dealt with in come way. Just pointing out that some of that heavier stuff does go on. Not sure I totally agree with BA's line of thinking on the hazing becoming mob mentality.

What I agreed with is the notion that it becomes very difficult for a player to speak up and admit they need help or try to tell their teammates that the hazing/joking stuff is making them uncomfortable. Yes, I do agree the player has to say something, but how easy is it for that player to come forward without fear of further retribution? There's many angles to look at that from too. There could be stigma carried with saying something, like now you are ostracized from your teammates, who view you as "that guy who gets upset too easily". There could be stigma from the coaching staff that you aren't going to be able to hold up on the field, and thus your job is now in jeopardy.

I'd hope that in time, those stigma/fears subside, but from my perspective, I can see why it's be intimidating to have a problem with the way you are being treated, and why you may hesitate to say something and "blow the whistle"
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Well, I think that's a legitimate concern for a coach. If you cannot take well intended ribbing and hazing, how can a coach expect you to withstand the rigors of a football season?

That said, things can go too far and not have a positive impact on the team / player.

I'm not a fan of the reactionary nature about this story. Seems as though people are too quick to call this "bullying" when we don't really know the full story.

Blog Entries

There has to be more to it. Maybe he's having problems at home or some other issues. Remember he was slated to replace Long at LT and was effectively demoted for McKinnie so that could be a piece also.

Just seems that if this was brewing for a while, someone would've noticed and everyone seems to say they didn't know anything.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

According to PFT, the situation is becoming more strange by the day. Apparently he won't return to the locker room “unless the situation changes drastically in the Dolphins locker room.” The article stated that the NFLPA was going to do an investigation, but now they are not. I am a woman, so I am confused by all of this. Please explain to me what exactly is going on here? Can't you just get dressed in your uniform and go about your business? Everyone at work doesn't necessarily have to be your BFF. Please explain.

Multiple people reporting Richie incognito is the ring leader

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Multiple people reporting Richie incognito is the ring leader
    And I am not shocked one bit.