Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Defensive Strategy

Coming off a bye, I'm gonna be hopeful that they have a good defensive gameplan

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Our D does not "play like a Raven," but we should not be surprised: our coach does not coach "like a Raven." WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR TEAM! Who ARE these guys?
    That was strong.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Houston, would you prefer that we went back to an "organized chaos" type of 3-4 hybrid scheme that we had under Rex Ryan? You seem to be insinuating that the Ravens cannot get pressure on the quarterback when that is not true at all. The real issues with the Ravens boil down to an underperforming defensive line that is getting pushed around on a weekly basis. Ngata can't perform at his best when the guys on either side are unable to set the edge and cover the B and C gaps.

We're alright at corner. Jimmy Smith is having a better season than he has had in a long time. Webb isn't up to par but he can still cover every teams #1 very well. The safeties are an issue. Elam is very talented but rough around the edges. Ihedibho is doing alright and Huff is terrible. They could have afforded to keep Pollard around. He would have helped to greatly improve the league's 13th ranked rushing defense.

Daryl Smith is doing a fantastic job as the Mike linebacker and, hopefully, Jameel McClain can step up to be the great Will linebacker that the Ravens have desperately needed this season.

The truth is that the Ravens' defense is good and can only get better with time. The real issue here is how bad the offensive line has been for the entire season. There are no running lanes, there is no time for Joe to load up and throw the ball, and there's no inkling of an ability to dominate time of possession to keep the defense off of the field.

Not a fan of Pees, but really? And no pressure? What about on the record for + 50 sacks! and allowed 5 offensive TDs in the last 6 games.

We have problems on offense and ST, defense not so much and clearly a lot better unit than last year.

I wonder if this "bend but not break" mentality started under Harbaugh? I don't remember us having that mentality prior to his arrival as we were routinely among leaders for forcing three and outs before him (maybe during Harbaugh first year?).

Quote Originally Posted by DaStevez View Post
    Houston, would you prefer that we went back to an "organized chaos" type of 3-4 hybrid scheme that we had under Rex Ryan? You seem to be insinuating that the Ravens cannot get pressure on the quarterback when that is not true at all. The real issues with the Ravens boil down to an underperforming defensive line that is getting pushed around on a weekly basis. Ngata can't perform at his best when the guys on either side are unable to set the edge and cover the B and C gaps.

We're alright at corner. Jimmy Smith is having a better season than he has had in a long time. Webb isn't up to par but he can still cover every teams #1 very well. The safeties are an issue. Elam is very talented but rough around the edges. Ihedibho is doing alright and Huff is terrible. They could have afforded to keep Pollard around. He would have helped to greatly improve the league's 13th ranked rushing defense.

Daryl Smith is doing a fantastic job as the Mike linebacker and, hopefully, Jameel McClain can step up to be the great Will linebacker that the Ravens have desperately needed this season.

The truth is that the Ravens' defense is good and can only get better with time. The real issue here is how bad the offensive line has been for the entire season. There are no running lanes, there is no time for Joe to load up and throw the ball, and there's no inkling of an ability to dominate time of possession to keep the defense off of the field.
    Agreed. With the exception of wishing we were better against the run (and that may be a function of the D-line woes you mentioned) I like this defense and expect it to get better. I have no real issues with Pees; each game requires a different game plan and I'm sure we'll give Campbell/Browns a different look than Dalton/Bengals the following week. Our offense is slow to start (have we scored a TD on an opening drive yet?) and incapable of sustaining long drives. Hope this changes after the bye.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I think generally Pees has done a decent job and is a clear upgrade over Pops Mattison but one thing that does frustate me at times is the passive secondary play. I mean we have big and physical CBs....... why not exploit that and do some press or bump and run...... something that will get the WRs off their rhythm.

I mean I get the bend but not break strategy and IMO its done more help than harm overall but sometimes you can't afford to even bend. Get the CBs a little more aggressive in those situations and we won't.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Not a fan of Pees, but really? And no pressure? What about on the record for + 50 sacks! and allowed 5 offensive TDs in the last 6 games.

We have problems on offense and ST, defense not so much and clearly a lot better unit than last year.
    It's not a question of how much pressure, it's a question of when and how it's applied. Where was it when it was needed against BR, or the against the Bills? Dropping Suggs into coverage, WTF? Even when the blitze is coming every one sees it 'cause nothing is disguised and Pees has made below average, rookie, and senior citizen QB's look good, and great QB set records. Look at the Redskins game last year, Pees brings the pressure and RGIII gets hurt, Cousins comes in and allowed to play uncontested and looked like Brady. So one could argue thaT Pees brough pressure but not when it was needed most, and I still thank Hardbaugh for interviewing in the SB when Pees would have blown that too. getting
    It's reminds me of ARod being considered an a accumulator, collecting stats in games/situations that don't matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Our D does not "play like a Raven," but we should not be surprised: our coach does not coach "like a Raven." WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR TEAM! Who ARE these guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    It's not a question of how much pressure, it's a question of when and how it's applied. Where was it when it was needed against BR, or the against the Bills? Dropping Suggs into coverage, WTF? Even when the blitze is coming every one sees it 'cause nothing is disguised and Pees has made below average, rookie, and senior citizen QB's look good, and great QB set records. Look at the Redskins game last year, Pees brings the pressure and RGIII gets hurt, Cousins comes in and allowed to play uncontested and looked like Brady. So one could argue thaT Pees brough pressure but not when it was needed most, and I still thank Hardbaugh for interviewing in the SB when Pees would have blown that too. getting
    It's reminds me of ARod being considered an a accumulator, collecting stats in games/situations that don't matter.
    Great post. This defense is no longer clutch. They used to feast off of rookie quarterbacks. Now we routinely make them look like Hall of Famers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    ...we have big and physical CBs.....
    "Physical", maybe--though they certainly haven't looked very physical tackling this season--but "big?" I took this right off the team site's roster:

23 Brown, Chykie CB 5-11 190 26 3 Texas
    24 Graham, Corey CB 6-0 196 28 7 New Hampshire
    22 Smith, Jimmy CB 6-2 210 25 3 Colorado
    21 Webb, Lardarius CB 5-10 182 28 5 Nicholls State
    29 Huff, Michael FS 6-0 211 30 8 Texas
    26 Elam, Matt S 5-10 206 22 R Florida
    41 Levine, Anthony S 5-11 199 26 2 Tennessee State

IOW Jimmy is the only member of the secondary over 6 feet & only he, Elam, & Puff-the-Tragic-Dragged-Along are over 200 lb. Going up against WRs that run 6'3" or taller and 220-230 lb, that doesn't strike me as very big.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    "Physical", maybe--though they certainly haven't looked very physical tackling this season--but "big?" I took this right off the team site's roster:

23 Brown, Chykie CB 5-11 190 26 3 Texas
    24 Graham, Corey CB 6-0 196 28 7 New Hampshire
    22 Smith, Jimmy CB 6-2 210 25 3 Colorado
    21 Webb, Lardarius CB 5-10 182 28 5 Nicholls State
    29 Huff, Michael FS 6-0 211 30 8 Texas
    26 Elam, Matt S 5-10 206 22 R Florida
    41 Levine, Anthony S 5-11 199 26 2 Tennessee State

IOW Jimmy is the only member of the secondary over 6 feet & only he, Elam, & Puff-the-Tragic-Dragged-Along are over 200 lb. Going up against WRs that run 6'3" or taller and 220-230 lb, that doesn't strike me as very big.
    Sherman and Revis are both under 200 lbs. Revis is only 5 11. Why is 200lbs the required threshold? Does every team have 3 receivers 6'3" and 230+?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Had to giggle at that one... assume you mean the recently departed Michael Huff. Ihedgibo at 6'1 214 should get some mention but when guys like Vernon Jordan and Julius Thomas line up wide or in the slot it proposes some matchup difficulties; essentially a LB running a deep post. I'll keep my day job and forego any offeres to be a DC.