What's up with Deonte Thompson

Hi everyone. I've been out of the country for the last 3 weeks, so I missed the Ravens last three games. One thing that I haven't been able to find any info on is why Deonte Thompson hasn't done much during those games. I see that he had two catches against Miami, but none since then. Has he been playing at all? Why is Tandon Doss playing instead of Deonte? Has Deonte been playing poorly? What the heck is going on?

Blog Entries

Re: What's up with Deonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been out of the country for the last 3 weeks, so I missed the Ravens last three games. One thing that I haven't been able to find any info on is why Deonte Thompson hasn't done much during those games. I see that he had two catches against Miami, but none since then. Has he been playing at all? Why is Tandon Doss playing instead of Deonte? Has Deonte been playing poorly? What the heck is going on?
    Deonte has played great anytime he's in the game. But he hasn't gotten many snaps at all.

Now that Jacoby is healthy, Deonte is buried on the depth chart. I do think, however, we should release Stokley and sign a player at a different position which would elevate Deonte. The kid is a playmaker when healthy.

And the reason he hasn't gotten many snaps is because Tandon Doss has been playing pretty well as of late. Not to mention Marlon Brown.

Blog Entries

Mostly has to do with Doss playing extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Yeah, Doss has really stepped up. I thought he always had the talent, but he never grasped the mental aspect of being a pro football player. Glad to see the light has finally come on,

Blog Entries

Doss and Brown happened to Deonte, Jacoby playing well too.

Torrey, Doss, Thompson, Brown, and Mellette are all 24 and younger and under contract for next year. I know there has been a theory stated here that we needed to "get Joe some playmakers" with the assumption that we were talking about looking at committing one of the top two picks in the 2014 to that position. I no longer really see a rush to do that. It could still happen if the right WR is there, but I don't think the Ravens will be focusing on that position early in the upcoming draft.

Torrey is becoming more of an all-around receiver, versus just being a lethal deep threat. You have to figure he is the #2 priority on the team in terms of an extension, behind Monroe.

Brown is a big guy with big play potential, but he has been more of the possession move-the-chains type, not to mention Joe's favorite target (aside from Clark) in the red zone. He's only 22.

Doss was viewed as more the good-hands possession type out of college. He's averaging 18.4 YPC so far this year and has made several big plays so far so you have to figure he is going to be a factor for the remainder of this year and next.

Thompson has really done nothing to deserve the limited playing time he's received. When given the opportunity, he's done everything asked of him. The Ravens only suited up three WRs in Buffalo, relying heavily on Thompson to produce in that game, and he made a couple nice catches, including one that was really impressive. He's just caught in a numbers game as many have mentioned.

Mellette figures to be like Thompson next year. From the little we saw of him in the preseason, he seems to have decent hands and deep ball potential.

Doss's re-emergence, Brown's rapid development, and the still-untapped potential of Thompson make me think that WR may not even be looked at all in the draft. I would think the first 3 picks would be TE/C and some mix of OL/DT/MLB

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Now that Jacoby is healthy, Deonte is buried on the depth chart. I do think, however, we should release Stokley and sign a player at a different position which would elevate Deonte. The kid is a playmaker when healthy.
    Thompson injury happened at a totally inopportune time for him. In his absence, Marlon Brown emerged and Doss re-emerged. Not to mention that Thompson's ankle probably still isn't 100%.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap