Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Make Costly Blunder?

Just curious if anyone has read Tony's article on the Ravens/Obamacare. Whether you agree or not it makes an interesting point and the responses are varied.

If anything, it's a good bye week topic.

Any thoughts?

http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...ostly-blunder/

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Make Costly Blunder?

Fans are not going to refuse to support the Ravens, due to their political views.

By the way, why do we keep calling it 'Obamacare'. Can we call the freaking thing by the name it was given? That really gets on my nerves. 'Oh yeah, we're so much more mature than President Obama, so we're going to give his idea an elementary style nickname.'
    Last edited by The Excellector; 10-24-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: The man is the President. Yet, that's something else that gets lost in referring to him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Lmao at jeopardizing fan loyalty.

They are going to get ripped for this on the radio and message boards, but those same fans will be in the stadium or on their man cave decorated with hundreds of dollars of Ravens merchandise...and people will forget about this in a year.

Owners give money to different political parties and causes all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    By the way, why do we keep calling it 'Obamacare'. Can we call the freaking thing by the name it was given? That really gets on my nerves. 'Oh yeah, we're so much more mature than Obama, so we're going to give his idea an elementary style nickname.'
    It's so you can identify the nimrods by asking, "Which would you prefer, Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act?". You'd be amazed by the % of people who choose one or the other. My empirical results so far show that 100% of those who prefer one over the other are choosing the ACA.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I wonder if this article would be written if the Ravens accepted a contract to promote the NRA.

Blog Entries

I mean, do people need classes on how to professionally disagree with policies? This is why I do not keep up with politics, from a televised perspective. It's bad enough you get that sort of foolishness in the sports world. It's probably three-fold in politics.

I'm honestly surprised Tony used the term.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Honestly, I don't generally care who they support. If I went tracking down every owner, GM, coach and player that had some questionable view on life, I'd have not sports team to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    It's so you can identify the nimrods by asking, "Which would you prefer, Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act?". You'd be amazed by the % of people who choose one or the other. My empirical results so far show that 100% of those who prefer one over the other are choosing the ACA.
    That's hilarious. You should toss in an option for Romneycare too.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2scvIFGjE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Just curious if anyone has read Tony's article on the Ravens/Obamacare. Whether you agree or not it makes an interesting point and the responses are varied.

If anything, it's a good bye week topic.

Any thoughts?

http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...ostly-blunder/
    I read it, and am extremely disappointed in Tony for even writing it.

According to the Washington Examiner, despite the league’s refusal to promote Obamacare, the Ravens have accepted a $130,000 contract to do exactly that. The contract calls for the Ravens to market Obamacare vis-à-vis an ad program with the State of Maryland’s Obamacare exchange known as Maryland Health Connection. The Ravens will use their TV, radio, web and social media platforms to deliver the exchange’s message.

Fans are not responding well. They look to the Ravens and the NFL as an escape from the daily pressures of life – one of which happens to be a very controversial program, Obamacare. Now for $130,000 the Ravens are waving what is for many an unpleasant reminder of an unpopular program that many believe is being jammed down their throats.

For $130,000 the Ravens may have jeopardized the loyalty of the fans. They’ve also made it more challenging to expand their reach beyond the boundaries that loosely bind them.
    I would have felt that Tony's article would have held some merit if the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) were still a bill and was being debated in Congress. Under those circumstances, I would say that it might not be a good idea for the Ravens to wade into a controversial debate. However, The Affordable Care Act is NOT a bill, it is the LAW of the land, and it is not going away. It was passed into law three years ago, was upheld by the Supreme Court, and was a major issue in the 2012 Presidential election. This debate is over. People who oppose Obamacare, need to let it go. Like it or not, it is the law, and it is not going to be repealed. Just because a few people have a negative reaction, the Ravens should not be dissuaded from doing what they think is the right thing to do.

I don't agree at all that the Ravens are assisting with expanding awareness of Obamacare for $130,000. Even saying so is idiotic. The Ravens are a billion dollar corporation, for whom $130,000 is chump change. I believe that that Bisciotti has agreed to do this because he thinks it is the right thing to do. When Mitt Romney enacted basically the same law in Massachusetts about ten years ago, the Red Sox and the Patriots helped spread awareness, just as the Ravens are doing now. If some people who do not have health insurance, are made aware of this option, and get coverage because of the publicity brought by the Ravens, then that would be a good thing.

why do we keep calling it 'Obamacare'. Can we call the freaking thing by the name it was given? That really gets on my nerves. 'Oh yeah, we're so much more mature than Obama, so we're going to give his idea an elementary style nickname.'
    I mean, do people need classes on how to professionally disagree with policies? This is why I do not keep up with politics, from a televised perspective. It's bad enough you get that sort of foolishness in the sports world. It's probably three-fold in politics.

I'm honestly surprised Tony used the term.
    :chill

It's a term many people are familiar with, and it's much easier to type/say. Even Obama has used it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    :chill

It's a term many people are familiar with, and it's much easier to type/say. Even Obama has used it.
    Pretty sure he even said he's fond of the term.