Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Make Costly Blunder?

I normally don't visit the politics thread because I come here for football talk, not politics. But after reading Tony's article I'm going to go ahead and put in my two cents' worth. An excerpt from the article reads:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Fans are not responding well. They look to the Ravens and the NFL as an escape from the daily pressures of life – one of which happens to be a very controversial program, Obamacare. Now for $130,000 the Ravens are waving what is for many an unpleasant reminder of an unpopular program that many believe is being jammed down their throats.

For $130,000 the Ravens may have jeopardized the loyalty of the fans. They’ve also made it more challenging to expand their reach beyond the boundaries that loosely bind them.

Here are a couple of posts from our Facebook page after a post that had NOTHING to do with the topic, yet fans felt compelled to vent their frustrations.

■After Ravens agreed to take taxpayer money from Obama to promote his train wreck insurance- I am now a woman without a team. How sad. And how despicable for my sports outlet to get political. Shameful! ~ Daniella Ceccarelli Toomey
    ■No likes from me..not after they are getting paid with our tax dollars to support Obamacare…I may have to start watching the Steelers. ~ Sandy Rutkowski Comegys

(Unfortunately for Sandy, the Steelers have come forward to support Obamacare in their own way, hosting a workshop at Heinz Field for folks to sign up.) There will undoubtedly be more backlash from what the Ravens hope will ultimately be the vocal minority. Winning may also help to mask this temporary lapse of reasoning.

But if they continue with their losing ways this season and if the citizens grow more disenchanted with Obamacare, this might prove to be one of the worst ad campaigns the Ravens have ever accepted."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying this isn't a worthy topic to write and/or comment upon, but apart from two quoted Facebook posts (a miniscule sample size), I'm not seeing where Tony draws his conclusions that "Fans are not responding well", or that "For $130,000 the Ravens may have jeopardized the loyalty of the fans", or that the Ravens "made it more challenging to expand their reach beyond the boundaries that loosely bind them", or his implication that this move in conjunction with a losing season might turn a great number of fans off from the team. This all seems conjecture to me, at best.

Look, I appreciate this is Tony's site and he can write what he chooses. Personally, however, I'd prefer the political axes to be ground elsewhere. My own view of the article is that there seems to be some (perhaps wishful) jumping to conclusions.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 10-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Fans are not going to refuse to support the Ravens, due to their political views.

By the way, why do we keep calling it 'Obamacare'. Can we call the freaking thing by the name it was given? That really gets on my nerves. 'Oh yeah, we're so much more mature than President Obama, so we're going to give his idea an elementary style nickname.'
    Obama was referring to it as "Obamacare" back before the website melted down.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    We are talking about access to health care, not slavery. If the Republicans wanted to repeal the Affordable Care Act, then they should have won the 2012 election. However, that was a bridge too far considering that Romney had enacted the same exact law in Massachusetts when he was Governor. The Ravens are a private business, who are doing what they think is correct. In Maryland, I bet they gain far more fans then they lose.
    They won a majority of seats in the House in 2012 so they did win an election. Actually more than a few hundred of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    It's so you can identify the nimrods by asking, "Which would you prefer, Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act?". You'd be amazed by the % of people who choose one or the other. My empirical results so far show that 100% of those who prefer one over the other are choosing the ACA.
    That's hilarious. You should toss in an option for Romneycare too.
    No, I've switched to asking people to sign a petition to do away with the First Amendment.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I normally don't visit the politics thread because I come here for football talk, not politics. But after reading Tony's article I'm going to go ahead and put in my two cents' worth. An excerpt from the article reads:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Fans are not responding well. They look to the Ravens and the NFL as an escape from the daily pressures of life – one of which happens to be a very controversial program, Obamacare. Now for $130,000 the Ravens are waving what is for many an unpleasant reminder of an unpopular program that many believe is being jammed down their throats.

For $130,000 the Ravens may have jeopardized the loyalty of the fans. They’ve also made it more challenging to expand their reach beyond the boundaries that loosely bind them.

Here are a couple of posts from our Facebook page after a post that had NOTHING to do with the topic, yet fans felt compelled to vent their frustrations.

■After Ravens agreed to take taxpayer money from Obama to promote his train wreck insurance- I am now a woman without a team. How sad. And how despicable for my sports outlet to get political. Shameful! ~ Daniella Ceccarelli Toomey
    ■No likes from me..not after they are getting paid with our tax dollars to support Obamacare…I may have to start watching the Steelers. ~ Sandy Rutkowski Comegys

(Unfortunately for Sandy, the Steelers have come forward to support Obamacare in their own way, hosting a workshop at Heinz Field for folks to sign up.) There will undoubtedly be more backlash from what the Ravens hope will ultimately be the vocal minority. Winning may also help to mask this temporary lapse of reasoning.

But if they continue with their losing ways this season and if the citizens grow more disenchanted with Obamacare, this might prove to be one of the worst ad campaigns the Ravens have ever accepted."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying this isn't a worthy topic to write and/or comment upon, but apart from two quoted Facebook posts (a miniscule sample size), I'm not seeing where Tony draws his conclusions that "Fans are not responding well", or that "For $130,000 the Ravens may have jeopardized the loyalty of the fans", or that the Ravens "made it more challenging to expand their reach beyond the boundaries that loosely bind them", or his implication that this move in conjunction with a losing season might turn a great number of fans off from the team. This all seems conjecture to me, at best.

Look, I appreciate this is Tony's site and he can write what he chooses. Personally, however, I'd prefer the political axes to be ground elsewhere. My own view of the article is that there seems to be some (perhaps wishful) jumping to conclusions.
    Which is EXACTLY Tony's point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    They won a majority of seats in the House in 2012 so they did win an election. Actually more than a few hundred of them.
    They lost seats in a very gerrymandered House and lost seats in the Senate and lost the Presidential election. The 2012 election was not solely about the ACA of course. But to say that it was a minor issue in that election is false. The Republicans just shut down the government and threatened a default on US debt over their wish to defund Obamacare.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Whether some fans approve or some fans do not, the Ravens made a business decision. If some folks feel the Ravens are grinding a political axe in addition to the business aspect, then those fans should by all means write to the team and voice their opinion. My opinion deals with the article itself, not the Ravens' decision which prompted it.

Blog Entries

Then why did Tony interject his political views? Sure, "some people" object to the Ravens helping to raise awareness about a law that has been passed, but many others will not object at all, and many people may be helped by the Ravens involvement. Why should the Ravens cow-tow to a vocal minority that can't get over the fact that they lost this fight?

Blog Entries

Then why did Tony interject his political views? Sure, "some people" object to the Ravens helping to raise awareness about a law that has been passed, but many others will not object at all, and many people may be helped by the Ravens involvement. Why should the Ravens cow-tow to a vocal minority that can't get over the fact that they lost this fight?
    Dirt, I'm not even going to get into it with you. We'd first have to agree on so many other things about elections, "some people", "vocal minority" etc. That is just not worth it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Whether some fans approve or some fans do not, the Ravens made a business decision. If some folks feel the Ravens are grinding a political axe in addition to the business aspect, then those fans should by all means write to the team and voice their opinion. My opinion deals with the article itself, not the Ravens' decision which prompted it.
    It's not the Ravens are grinding a political axe. It's you come here for football, not Tony's political views. Fans go to and watch the Ravens games on tv, not to watch the Ravens take tax payer money to promote a politically divisive issue.

Blog Entries

Dirt, I'm not even going to get into it with you. We'd first have to agree on so many other things about elections, "some people", "vocal minority" etc. That is just not worth it.
    No worries dude. I come to this site to talk about football, not politics. I would have much preferred that Tony not post such an article at all.

Blog Entries

No worries dude. I come to this site to talk about football, not politics. I would have much preferred that Tony not post such an article at all.
    See post above