Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Room for optimism (or maybe just less pessimism) from Sunday's game

After some deep thought over Sunday's loss to the Steelers, I think we have lost perspective in all the discussion of who deserves more blame. In my opinion, the loss (like every close football game) came down to just a few plays that weren't made. In the end, not making a couple of plays when they're needed don't tell you a whole lot about how good or bad this football team is.

The things that really killed them were basically a handful individual plays that went bad: not making the 3rd and 1 where Rice lost 2 yards, Flacco taking a sack on 3rd down that moved us out of field goal range, Flacco missing a potential TD throw to Jacoby and an obvious PI going uncalled, Dumervil geting penalized THREE times on the same drive (one of which negated a 3rd down sack), completely screwing up the onside kick, Webb's illegal contact on Sanders on Pittsburgh's last drive, and finally Jimmy Smith giving up the slant pass to Brown (that everybody in the stadium saw coming) to seal the game.

Every single one of those missed plays comes down to pure execution. In a game this tight, basically the ball bounced the Steelers' way 6 or 7 times, and our way only once (on the fumble recovery.) I'm not excusing anything by saying that, it's just reality. I believe both offense and defense played roughly well enough to win, and if this game were played 100 times instead of 1, I think the result would be right about 50/50. To me, that means we can't really draw a ton of conclusions from the fact that they lost.

Re: Room for optimism (or maybe just less pessimism) from Sunday's game

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    After some deep thought over Sunday's loss to the Steelers, I think we have lost perspective in all the discussion of who deserves more blame. In my opinion, the loss (like every close football game) came down to just a few plays that weren't made. In the end, not making a couple of plays when they're needed don't tell you a whole lot about how good or bad this football team is.

The things that really killed them were basically a handful individual plays that went bad: not making the 3rd and 1 where Rice lost 2 yards, Flacco taking a sack on 3rd down that moved us out of field goal range, Flacco missing a potential TD throw to Jacoby and an obvious PI going uncalled, Dumervil geting penalized THREE times on the same drive (one of which negated a 3rd down sack), completely screwing up the onside kick, Webb's illegal contact on Sanders on Pittsburgh's last drive, and finally Jimmy Smith giving up the slant pass to Brown (that everybody in the stadium saw coming) to seal the game.

Every single one of those missed plays comes down to pure execution. In a game this tight, basically the ball bounced the Steelers' way 6 or 7 times, and our way only once (on the fumble recovery.) I'm not excusing anything by saying that, it's just reality. I believe both offense and defense played roughly well enough to win, and if this game were played 100 times instead of 1, I think the result would be right about 50/50. To me, that means we can't really draw a ton of conclusions from the fact that they lost.
    I appreciate your breakdown and I think you make good points. I also think you could break down most close games in the NFL the same way, the better team usually finds a way to win period!

Blog Entries

I just think people need to check their expectations at the door for this year.

This isn't the same team that won the SB. Regardless of losing Ray and Ed, there are A LOT of new faces on both sides of the ball.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I just think people need to check their expectations at the door for this year.

This isn't the same team that won the SB. Regardless of losing Ray and Ed, there are A LOT of new faces on both sides of the ball.
    I don't know how much the new faces affect it, but Jamison Hensley actually said it well in his ESPN blog yesterday (which I didn't read until just now.) Last year, the Ravens were 5-3 in games decided by 3 points or fewer. So far this season, they're 1-3.

The bottom line is that they are just making a few less plays than the other team. If they tighten up their execution and just get a little bit better all the way around, there's a good chance they can start winning those close games again.

I don't know how much the new faces affect it, but Jamison Hensley actually said it well in his ESPN blog yesterday (which I didn't read until just now.) Last year, the Ravens were 5-3 in games decided by 3 points or fewer. So far this season, they're 1-3.

The bottom line is that they are just making a few less plays than the other team. If they tighten up their execution and just get a little bit better all the way around, there's a good chance they can start winning those close games again.
    But that's what the NFL is...a game of inches.
    The Ravens are losing most of the inches at critical times...those same ones they used to win.

Examples: Ed Reed used to patrol the middle of the field and opposing quarterbacks, for the most part would not throw there. Not so anymore. That makes the Ravens defend the entire field. No one is scared to throw on any part of the field anymore. There are more inches to cover. Our best DB is Webb, but he was burned on the long touchdown against the Pack...who's fault? did he have any safety help? did Rodgers get the safety to bite on a fake or move him with his eyes? Ngata is not the Ngata of old, or even 2 years ago when he would burst through the middle carrying half the Olinemen with him. We have our best ever set of pass rushers in Suggs and Doom, and yet when they loop around deep, there is no push inside to keep the QBs from stepping up and eluding them. AND, something I haven't read anyone talk about, is when they do loop like that AND there is no inside push, opposing teams are using the natural LARGE holes outside the tackles to run through. If our inside backers flow to the outside to try to fill those huge gaps, the runner only has to make one cut back and go through the center of the defense. Teams can run more on our defense and that opens up the pass even more. It is a vicious cycle.

On offense, we can't open a hole. The holes are so small even Rice can't fit through them. With no running game, even after BIG passing plays, we can't punch it in from inside the 5 yard line. Those are some BIG inches we are losing which resulted in wins in the past...including last season. Examples of this, punching it in, in those playoff games, from the 2 against the Colts, from inside the 5 against Denver, inside the 5 against the Pats. Takes those TDs away, and we don't even go to Foxboro.

Ray would diagnose plays before the snap, moving players into better position, or making that one or two plays himself. Ed would see the play, fake one way to fool the QB and move back the other and knock the pass down, intercept to seal a game, etc. Or Pollard coming up and knocking a player out of the game or causing a big turnover.

Right now, none of that is happening. We can't get those few inches, those few yards, those few pass knock downs, or critical turnover to end the game...as in the past.
    Right now, this team seems to be relying on their pure physical ability and being out thought, outplayed upstairs in the head.
    That is what this team is missing. We are younger and probably faster overall but the inexperience both as a team (playing together, knowing each other's movements, tendencies, and communication) and simply as players is showing up on the field.
    This team is out of sync all over the place and it is not about lack of talent.

This! For years the Ravens have won the ugly tight games by being able to make a few more plays then their opponents. This year we are on the wrong end of it further exposing our lack of execution 7 games into the season. Had we pulled out just one more game going 4-3 heading into the bye I think the vibe around here would have changed just a little because most folks predicted this record going into the bye.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    ... Had we pulled out just one more game going 4-3 heading into the bye I think the vibe around here would have changed just a little because most folks predicted this record going into the bye.
    I agree, especially if we had beaten the Steelers. 4 - 3 record, 2 - 0 in the division, BYE week, then the Browns (in Cleveland) sure would look a lot better than the state we're in now... Bc

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

bmore-
    I really like the thoughts from your OP, and I think the other posters make excellent observations.

That being said, what concerns me as a Ravens fan is that the examples you cited number 7, and that seems to me to be, while not an epidemic, at least way too many "Aw, shit's!" for a team who might aspire to reaching the playoffs. Plus, Dumervil's three penalties (two on one play) were critical for Pitt to keep that drive alive. Not saying that the Ravens turn the game around, but that drive spent more than 1/2 of the 3rd quarter.

It seems like the team collectively (and I include the coaches here) are making too many mental errors this season. Add that to an offense whose line is not getting the job done, some too frequent piss-poor tackling on defense, and I see even a wild card slot slipping away.

Optimism is not permitted on this site.

Losing to the sqeelers hurts more then any other reg season lost. I just hope the few changes in that game keep coming. Maybe they realize the sqeelers could've been beat with deep shots. I sure hope Oakland with Moore crush them, which I do think they will.

I'm ready to ride this 2nd half, and this is a great break for the team. It's been a crazy year. We are too soft to be wearing Purple. Feel like Mattison and Cam is handcuffed somewhere in the castle. We have talent, we can compete, mental errors is killing the coaches and players.

I know we have a huge list of problems and all can't be fixed at once. Wait a min, yes they an with being more physical and mentally prepared for 9 more games. A few plays each game and we can be the winners that we want to be. I sure hope this bye help the coaches and players get ready for the back 9. Clean it up and hit 9 birdies. Good week to relax and I'll be ready for the Cle game as I hope they will too.
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest

The Super Bowl championship team of last year...the one with all the "leaders"...lost 3 straight games in December and were a 4th-and-29 from losing 4 straight and most likely missing the playoffs. Also recall the missed Dallas FG.

I don't think the team is that much worse than last year's team. They are good enough to win almost any Sunday.

They need to execute better and make a play or two more a game...and they need a couple of breaks to go their way.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    were a 4th-and-29 from losing 4 straight and most likely missing the playoffs.
    WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS?

Literally all you have to do is look at the standings. 9-7 still makes the playoffs...also, for some reason, we still rest our starters in the final game of the season in this scenario.