Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Poor fourth quarter defense again

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Granted, but this ain't the 2000 defense. Maybe the offense should start pulling their own weight. Start running the ball better, score TDs earlier. Can't ask much more from this defense. Eventually the offense has to step up.
    You can ask for them to make stops in clutch situations, it's not like they were tired when they hit the field on the last drive of the game after the long scoring drive by the offense.

Granted, but this ain't the 2000 defense. Maybe the offense should start pulling their own weight. Start running the ball better, score TDs earlier. Can't ask much more from this defense. Eventually the offense has to step up.
    Other than signing Joe, practically every dime this offseason was spent on this "new and improved" defense.

We need more than just window dressing sacks...the substance...the big plays when we need them have not been there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    The defense got lucky to have that turnover, and 39 yards isn't in the shadow of the goalposts.
    and what did the offense do with it? not much. one TD again today woo hoo

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Other than signing Joe, practically every dime this offseason was spent on this "new and improved" defense.

We need more than just window dressing sacks...the substance...the big plays when we need them have not been there.

It doesn't matter how much was spent on defense. When your offense only scores ONE touchdown a game...you will lose.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    You can ask for them to make stops in clutch situations, it's not like they were tired when they hit the field on the last drive of the game after the long scoring drive by the offense.
    This. It is amazing that some of you let them off the hook the way you are. No one is saying that the offense is good to go, its not but the way teams have run on them is ridculous.

Some of you want to say well if they scored TDs instead of FGs in the first half, what if the defense hold that second drive to a FG. Goes both ways. There are issues in both sides of the ball and if you think the defense is all right well then you are not looking close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMan View Post
    This. It is amazing that some of you let them off the hook the way you are. No one is saying that the offense is good to go, its not but the way teams have run on them is ridculous.

Some of you want to say well if they scored TDs instead of FGs in the first half, what if the defense hold that second drive to a FG. Goes both ways. There are issues in both sides of the ball and if you think the defense is all right well then you are not looking close enough.
    I'm not saying the defense is alright. This is a bad football team right now.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

It doesn't matter how much was spent on defense. When your offense only scores ONE touchdown a game...you will lose.
    Sure it does.

If you invest more on one side of the ball, expectations are higher on that side.

The offense is not playing well. I expect more there too, but they are playing with out a lot of quality pieces from last year and frankly, outside of the playoff run, they weren't all that great then either.

The defense is going to have to carry the bigger weight here...they are going to have to come up with a big TO, or get off the field at the end of the game every now and then.

The way virtually all our losses have ended means they don't get a pass anymore than the offense does IMHO.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Sure it does.

If you invest more on one side of the ball, expectations are higher on that side.

The offense is not playing well. I expect more there too, but they are playing with out a lot of quality pieces from last year and frankly, outside of the playoff run, they weren't all that great then either.

The defense is going to have to carry the bigger weight here...they are going to have to come up with a big TO, or get off the field at the end of the game every now and then.

The way virtually all our losses have ended means they don't get a pass anymore than the offense does IMHO.

I get where you're coming from.

As I said, the Ravens are just a bad football team right now.

To further my point today...we had 7 freaking possessions today due to the Steelers dominating the TOP and our defense's failures to get them off the field.

The Steelers had 9 possessions and scored points on 5 of them. 4 possessions without scoring for the Steelers.

To further my point today...we had 7 freaking possessions today due to the Steelers dominating the TOP and our defense's failures to get them off the field.

The Steelers had 9 possessions and scored points on 5 of them. 4 possessions without scoring for the Steelers.

Its actually only 8 possession with 1 being a kneeldown at the end of 1H. That's 7 legit possessions and they scored on 5. That sucks!

And still only scored 19 points.

Seriously this defense didn't play great. But they gave up ONE TOUCHDOWN and FOUR FIELD GOALS!

Meanwhile the offense didn't score a TD until 1:58 left in the 4th!
    The offense had only SEVEN possessions and scored on four of them. That will be the least amount of possessions by any NFL team this week. The NFL average is 11-12 possessions per game. The Steelers controlled the clock. The defense line could not get off blocks. A very poor showing by the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by the excellector View Post
    let's not kid ourselves here. This is indeed an issue. You could sense it. The offense finally started putting together good drives and the defense couldn't get off the field. And it was petty stuff too. Draw plays, penalties, soft tackling.

The offense has not been where we want it to be, but i think that's more on the coaching staff's desire to rely so heavily on the defense.
    Right on!! Btw, when was the last time you saw this team play with passion, intensity, discipline, and the desire to win?!?! Could it be harbs message is starting to get old?!?!?!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton