Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Ravens' Top 3 Team Needs, 2014 Draft and Beyond

What exactly are ASJ's off field issues?

I know he got a DUI recently...is there more or was that just a one time incident?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

From what I understand he got in trouble a couple of times with drinking underage and the DUI. Stuff that isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'm sure some teams may view it as concerning.

He is certainly talented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There really aren't any DL'men that I'm super in love with in round 1. Or should I say "when the Ravens pick". Most of the top guys will be long gone.

There are a couple of decent guys though. This year has A LOT of pass rushers. No one like Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson though. Ra'Shede Hageman, Stephon Tuitt and Louis Nix III are probably the top DT candidates.

And yes, I think CJF is the real deal at TE. Austin Seferian-Jenkins probably has the most upside, but his off field issues are concerning when thinking he is a first round player. Ebron and Amaro are two other athletic tight ends. Amaro has nice hands and speed. He is basically a big receiver. Ebron is super athletic, but his hands are iffy.

IMO, CJ Fiedorowicz is the best TE prospect for the Ravens in this draft. He isn't anywhere near the athlete that Seferian-Jenkins or Ebron are, but he is a lot quicker than folks think. He is an excellent blocker and he has ideal size at 6'7" 260lbs. He is built like Gronkowski, but I think his skills lend more towards a Heath Miller or a Brent Celek. He has nice hands and is a major red zone target as well.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on Fiedorowicz, since we have discussed him before, but I just can't fathom getting excited about a guy who will be basically a 6th offensive lineman in the NFL. I think his NFL upside is Scott Chandler from the Bills, a guy who can block and find soft spots in the zone, but can't really run or make cuts at all. When you have a guy like a Scott Chandler, your TE position is very limited because your guy can't run a full route tree.

That's why Graham and Gronkowski were such good prospects and have had such an incredible NFL career... they are both huge TEs who are too big and strong for DBs to cover, but they have the athleticism to run the full route tree from the TE or flex spot. Big guys who can make good cuts and run sharp routes are rare, and Fiedorowicz is not one of them. I just don't see spending anything other than a late-round pick on a guy who doesn't make plays.

If Seferian-Jenkins is available in the 2nd round I would take him in a heartbeat. He is a much better prospect. Ebron is also one of my favorite players in the class, but he's looking like a 1st rounder right now and that's probably too rich for the Ravens' blood. I'd have a hard time spending a 1st rounder on any TE, frankly... you can usually get a great one in the 2nd or later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on Fiedorowicz, since we have discussed him before, but I just can't fathom getting excited about a guy who will be basically a 6th offensive lineman in the NFL. I think his NFL upside is Scott Chandler from the Bills, a guy who can block and find soft spots in the zone, but can't really run or make cuts at all. When you have a guy like a Scott Chandler, your TE position is very limited because your guy can't run a full route tree.

That's why Graham and Gronkowski were such good prospects and have had such an incredible NFL career... they are both huge TEs who are too big and strong for DBs to cover, but they have the athleticism to run the full route tree from the TE or flex spot. Big guys who can make good cuts and run sharp routes are rare, and Fiedorowicz is not one of them. I just don't see spending anything other than a late-round pick on a guy who doesn't make plays.

If Seferian-Jenkins is available in the 2nd round I would take him in a heartbeat. He is a much better prospect. Ebron is also one of my favorite players in the class, but he's looking like a 1st rounder right now and that's probably too rich for the Ravens' blood. I'd have a hard time spending a 1st rounder on any TE, frankly... you can usually get a great one in the 2nd or later.
    I'd be good with ASJ in round 2.

And for the record, I wouldn't want to spend more than a 4th on CJ.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

It's been said elsewhere (and I can't find a link or two this morning, sorry) that Fiedorowicz, is misused at Iowa. If so expect him to rise in the pre-draft evaluations and a 3rd round pick for him will be thought of as fair. Possibly even a late 2.

I think I can understand Solo's love of Fiedorowicz, especially for the Ravens. We need a TE who is also an in-line TE. Pitta is definitely not that. Dickson isn't really either but is played there by the Ravens cause they have no other options. If we re-sign Pitta than we have little need for a great receiving TE who can't block. Fiedorowicz, is from Iowa and that's a trusted brand in coaching up OL play.

I was really down on ASJ earlier this year and yeah he still has his off the field stuff to be bothered about. But he has come on in the last month and that includes showing a lot of potential as an in-line TE. He could have pouted at not being the star receiver; he didn't even though he has talent as a receiver. That shows some character. So I would take him before Fiedorowicz, who would now be my plan B. Both I think will make an impact in the NFL. Both will help our OL play and be a nice compliment in the pass game.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd be good with ASJ in round 2.

And for the record, I wouldn't want to spend more than a 4th on CJ.

We're on the same page then. I thought you were saying you'd take CJ OVER ASJ in the 2nd or so. Fiedorowicz would be a good pick in the 4th, I agree. Either way, the Ravens are going to have a chance to add a good TE in each of the first 4 rounds or so. If they re-sign Pitta they may not place a big premium on the position, so maybe targeting Fiedorowicz in the 4th would be a good idea.

One position I'm pretty worried about that hasn't really been discussed is safety. Elam is locked into one of the starting spots long-term, but who plays next to him? Ihedigbo is probably not going to be on the team next year and no other safety on the roster has really seen any defensive snaps. That could be a major problem area next year. I just have a really hard time spending an early-round pick on a safety when we just did it last year.

The guy I would target is Lamarcus Joyner in the 2nd. Some people will say he's too small, but Tyrann Mathieu is the same size and the same kind of player, and he's lighting it up out in Arizona. That would be a hell of a safety tandem of the future for the Ravens.

Drummond has been mentioned a lot on the rb.com board for fs